New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Hose connectors/fittings - quick story

Started by Al, July 28, 2015, 01:26:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Al

In the last few days I have been trying to find a hose reducer from 16mm to 12mm and it was quite a challenge - a barb x barb 1/2 x 5/8 approximately.

When I went to the PVC specialty shop on Colonnade, I was told that there was a variance in standards for barbed fittings between what was considered barbed fittings for pipe or hose. They had nothing in the 5/8" or 16mm size, period.

The common barbed fittings we see at the big box stores (grey PVC) are really for pipe - what does that mean?? when it says 1/2" barb, the fitting is actually .63 to .66 inches , or 5/8" or 16-17mm. These barbed fittings are for pipe like polyethylene and those are the specs.

No way that was fitting my 12mm Eheim hose which is .472".
Fit the 16mm hose nicely, though.
But I still needed at 12mm on the reducing end and there was no way it was stretching over this fitting, especially given the thin wall thickness of Eheim 12/16 tubing.

Pex barbed connections - when you look at pex barbed connections, the 1/2" barbed connection used for 1/2" pex tubing fits an ID pex tube of 12mm - fit the eheim hose like a glove.
The 3/4" pex barb is made to fit an ID of .677 inches, or 17.2mm. This was still a great fit, although a little tighter than the perfect match on the 12mm.
So the barb x barb 3/4" 1/2" was perfect.

There are 3 barbs on each pex fitting, perfect for small width hose clamps.

You can use accucrimp pex plastic fitting @ 1.99 or brass @ 1.69
And our Eheim friends at the green machine want $13 US, plus shipping which I would have never ordered anyway.

wolfiewill

I've just gone through the same thing. I was at the same store on Colonnade and he told me that there is no such thing as industry standards. Also, I gave up with Eheim tubing and am using other types, especially the black hose the hydroponic stores supply. The hose is thinner and easier to warm and stretch. But who is the supplier for these Pex fittings?
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish." Mark Twain

vic622

Quote from: wolfiewill on July 31, 2015, 05:10:57 PM
I've just gone through the same thing. I was at the same store on Colonnade and he told me that there is no such thing as industry standards. Also, I gave up with Eheim tubing and am using other types, especially the black hose the hydroponic stores supply. The hose is thinner and easier to warm and stretch. But who is the supplier for these Pex fittings?
What fittings are you able to use with the black hydroponic hose & how well does it attach to the Eheim fittings on their pumps & filters?
Vic
120g Peninsula Tank

Planted, high tech
Congo Tetra, Pearl Gourami, Honey Gourami
Serpae Tetra
Bronze & Pepper Corydoras, BN Plecos, Yoyo Loaches

wolfiewill

Quote from: vic622 on July 31, 2015, 06:05:25 PM
What fittings are you able to use with the black hydroponic hose & how well does it attach to the Eheim fittings on their pumps & filters?

I am able to use the 1/2" ID Home Depot grey generic fitting with the 1/2" ID black hydroponic hose, and since it's inside diameter is the same as the Eheim 12/16, it will fit over the Eheim filter fittings for 1/2" hose. Home Depot also have a clear, acrylic 1/2" ID hose which I'm going to try from now on. It seems to fit the 1/2" ID connectors if it's warmed in hot water first.

And, by the way, that store on Colonnade - PVC Plus - carries 1/2" OD connectors and 90s, if you want them ($1.63 each, I think: It's hard to read their purchase order). I use them all over the place and was considering purchasing them online since my local Home Depot has stopped carrying them. They fit all hose with an ID of 1/2", even the Eheim 12/16. 
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish." Mark Twain

Al

Greg,
If you are asking where to get pex fittings, I got them at Home Hardware because it was closest to me but any of the standard big box stores carry them. Pex water lines are pretty much replacing copper tubing in homes - 1/3 the cost of copper, easier to use, quicker installation, doesn't corrode even with acidic water and when comparing to CPVC doesn't require gluing, although you need a special tool.

vic622

Quote from: Al on July 31, 2015, 07:58:34 PM
Greg,
If you are asking where to get pex fittings, I got them at Home Hardware because it was closest to me but any of the standard big box stores carry them. Pex water lines are pretty much replacing copper tubing in homes - 1/3 the cost of copper, easier to use, quicker installation, doesn't corrode even with acidic water and when comparing to CPVC doesn't require gluing, although you need a special tool.
The fittings I've seen & used for pex are copper. Are there plastic fittings, too?
Vic
120g Peninsula Tank

Planted, high tech
Serpae Tetra

vic622

Quote from: wolfiewill on July 31, 2015, 07:19:17 PM
I am able to use the 1/2" ID Home Depot grey generic fitting with the 1/2" ID black hydroponic hose, and since it's inside diameter is the same as the Eheim 12/16, it will fit over the Eheim filter fittings for 1/2" hose. Home Depot also have a clear, acrylic 1/2" ID hose which I'm going to try from now on. It seems to fit the 1/2" ID connectors if it's warmed in hot water first.

And, by the way, that store on Colonnade - PVC Plus - carries 1/2" OD connectors and 90s, if you want them ($1.63 each, I think: It's hard to read their purchase order). I use them all over the place and was considering purchasing them online since my local Home Depot has stopped carrying them. They fit all hose with an ID of 1/2", even the Eheim 12/16. 

Thanks, I'll have a look. I have the 16/22 which I think is the 5/8". I have used some 5/8" hose from home Depot, but it's thin wall vinyl & folds if bent even a little. I like the idea of the black hydroponic hose. If it's available in 5/8", I'll be laughing!
Vic
120g Peninsula Tank

Planted, high tech
Serpae Tetra

wolfiewill

Quote from: vic622 on July 31, 2015, 08:35:22 PM
Thanks, I'll have a look. I have the 16/22 which I think is the 5/8". I have used some 5/8" hose from home Depot, but it's thin wall vinyl & folds if bent even a little. I like the idea of the black hydroponic hose. If it's available in 5/8", I'll be laughing!

I don't have any 5/8" black plastic hose. You'd have to check. I only use it to replace the 1/2" or 12/16 mm Eheim. This is because the Eheim 16/22 fits the 1/2" connectors quite well.

Al

Yes pix comes in plastic, that's what I'm using
The 3/4" fits perfect with the 16/22 eheim hose it is actually 17mm but fits well and as stated earlier the 1/2" fits 12 mm perfectly

Mike L

The pex fittings come in brass and plastic. Cheapest place to by is boone plumbing but they are sold at any big box. Boone also rents out the special tool required to crimp the clamps for $7.00/day I believe.

Al

The plastic fittings are called Accucrimp.

http://www.waterlineproducts.com/accucrimp_bulk_d_8.html

vic622

Vic
120g Peninsula Tank

Planted, high tech
Serpae Tetra

vic622

Quote from: Mike L on August 01, 2015, 09:47:36 AM
The pex fittings come in brass and plastic. Cheapest place to by is boone plumbing but they are sold at any big box. Boone also rents out the special tool required to crimp the clamps for $7.00/day I believe.
Will Boone sell retail?
Vic
120g Peninsula Tank

Planted, high tech
Serpae Tetra

Al

I've bought stuff there before as a walk-in with no issues - that was a couple of years ago I don't see why it would change. You have to go in the contractors area, not the retail showroom side.
Of the big box places, I found home hardware to have a better selection than home depot - I didn't check lowes.
Good luck.

Mike L

Boone will sell retail. I'm a contractor and get a hefty discount. If there is enough interest I can set up a group buy.

vic622

Quote from: Mike L on August 03, 2015, 01:11:07 PM
Boone will sell retail. I'm a contractor and get a hefty discount. If there is enough interest I can set up a group buy.
Thanks, that's good to know.
The discount would be nice (on a group buy if we had interest), but I'm more about supporting local (vs big box) plus getting some knowledgeable help from pro's.
Personally, I'll only have about about 10' of line plus maybe a half dozen fittings, so I wouldn't be bringing them a ton of business :)
Would they have a bigger on-hand selection of fittings than the big box stores, or just access to more? Things like odd-ball t's & y's and that sort of thing you don;t see at the big's because they only want to carry the volume items?
Vic
120g Peninsula Tank

Planted, high tech
Serpae Tetra

lucius

Lowes has pretty good plumbing section.  Rona's has a lot of fittings also when it's in stock.