New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Miracle Grow > Algae > Inverts

Started by HappyGuppy, January 21, 2011, 09:35:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HappyGuppy

Hi, I plan to do something like this
http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium/how-grow-algae-19074/
growing algae on rocks in a separate container.  I want algae.

The question is I need a fertilizer to rapidly grow the green gold.  Any reason NOT to use miracle grow?  Is the copper levels in it acceptable for inverts?

Is there a better way to get covered in green?

HappyGuppy

Looking into my mealworm culture I realize that there is plenty of that dark sandy substance in there (poop). I realized that I could easily use that as the nutrient source.  Just need to sift it out.

dan2x38

Quote from: HappyGuppy on January 21, 2011, 09:35:40 PM
Hi, I plan to do something like this
http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium/how-grow-algae-19074/
growing algae on rocks in a separate container.  I want algae.

The question is I need a fertilizer to rapidly grow the green gold.  Any reason NOT to use miracle grow?  Is the copper levels in it acceptable for inverts?

Is there a better way to get covered in green?

I remember back some time ago reading about this & I remember the PO4 is different and will be fatal to water livestock. I can't remember anything about the copper levels but if it has copper sulfate which many do it would not be good for inverts.

Just fertilize with normal aquatic ferts then place in tons of direct sunlight. Dry ferts are cheap you can likely buy some off someone online here. At hydroponic store approx. $20 gets you everything you need for ages.
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

HappyGuppy

Thanks Dan.  I believe that you are right, particularly about the Cu.  Abandoned that idea.  I will use my aquarium ferts - should have thought of that before - found them after not using them in about a year.

I put some mealworm dust (poop) into a container, with plenty of lights, some rocks, and fragments of algae I could find in my tanks.  Stiring daily.  I have noticed that it seems to be working - algae is growing.  Hoping to have a disgusting mess of it by the end of the month of February.

Seeing the number of threads about how to kill algae, it is funny that I am trying to grow the stuff.