New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

How to go from low tech to high? (First time)

Started by werehatwere, January 09, 2013, 08:02:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

exv152

Quote from: werehatwere on January 11, 2013, 10:49:52 PMSo is there any rules of thumb when dosing? I plan to follow that guide you gave me for a rough idea.

Rule of thumb, it helps to have a schedule. For example, mondays, wednesdays and fridays I dose the KNO3 and trace together. And tuesdays, thursdays and saturdays I dose KH2P04 alone. Then do a large water change on sundays, and replenish some other things right after the WC by adding some equilibrium, Ca or Mg if needed. But this is strictly optional. Also, make sure you have plenty of co2, some like to turn on the co2 a half hour or so before the lights come on, and then have them go off a half hour before lights out to ensure the plants are getting optimal co2 diffusion in the water. Also, having a drop checker in your tank, opposite the side you diffuse co2, gives you a good idea if you have enough or if you should increase the bbs.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

werehatwere

QuoteRule of thumb, it helps to have a schedule. For example, mondays, wednesdays and fridays I dose the KNO3 and trace together. And tuesdays, thursdays and saturdays I dose KH2P04 alone. Then do a large water change on sundays, and replenish some other things right after the WC by adding some equilibrium, Ca or Mg if needed. But this is strictly optional. Also, make sure you have plenty of co2, some like to turn on the co2 a half hour or so before the lights come on, and then have them go off a half hour before lights out to ensure the plants are getting optimal co2 diffusion in the water. Also, having a drop checker in your tank, opposite the side you diffuse co2, gives you a good idea if you have enough or if you should increase the bbs.

So first off, how do I know if I am achivieng the correct amount of ferts/light/co2?
I have a schedule worked out. The thursday before i leave for my dads (tank is at my moms and I just go to my dads from school that day) I will do the water change and add all of the ferts in one go. The following friday when I return, I will change the water and add the ferts. Then on the thursday of that week, the process starts over again.

On another note, I just wanted to thank you for helping me so much, as well as all of the others who replied. I have already learned a lot from this topic!  :)

exv152

Ferts is easy, you just follow the dry dose schedule for EI, it's designed to overdose ferts intentionally so you can't go wrong. As for lighting, the fixture I showed you with 4 x T5HO 39w bulbs should be all the light you need on a 24" tall tank. And the fixture's height can be adjusted to increase or decrease intensity. Finally, I recommend a drop checker for co2. When the liquid in the drop checker is green, it means you have enough co2, if it turns blue it's not enough, and yellow means too much co2. http://www.aquainspiration.com/nproductdetail.asp?PIN=CO&PNAME=DASZ&PSIZE=CH&PTYPE=CO2 Accessories

And you're more than welcome. Anytime you need help don't hesitate to ask, I'm more than glad to help the next generation of planted tank folks.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

werehatwere

QuoteFerts is easy, you just follow the dry dose schedule for EI, it's designed to overdose ferts intentionally so you can't go wrong. As for lighting, the fixture I showed you with 4 x T5HO 39w bulbs should be all the light you need on a 24" tall tank. And the fixture's height can be adjusted to increase or decrease intensity. Finally, I recommend a drop checker for co2. When the liquid in the drop checker is green, it means you have enough co2, if it turns blue it's not enough, and yellow means too much co2
Well that sounds easy enough!

So i told my mom what I wanted to do with the tank and she got all excited and started researching all of the plants she wants lol.
For as long as ive had the tank, i have been foing weekly %50 water changes and draging the buckets into my bathroom and dumping them into my bathtub. I now however, realise that this is a bad idea, because it could clog the drains. SOOOO, my step father had the brilliant idea of putting a bulkhaed in the bottom left and right corners of the tank, and connectig them with pipe, to a valve (dont remeber the name) and attaching a beefy hose to it wich i can run out my window and into the eves troff below (my room is on the 3rd floor of my house so theres an eves troff below and above me) I figured I may aswell, because the tank is just sitting empty now. I gave the fish to my cousin. Anyways, the back needs to be "re-vinyled" and the stand needs to be tightend, so i figured I may aswell do it.

So in short, there will be 2 bulkheads in the 2 back corners of the tank, with pipe connecting them to a central valve, wich will have a detachable hose, wich i can run out of my window, and into the eves troff (wich conveinetly dups all its water into the koi pond).
We will also be putting in a special tap in the wall of my bathroom, wich i will be able to connect a hose to, wich will return water to the tank after water changes. (this will just go in over the side, not through the pipes). This way, I can do large and quick water changes, making it easier on the tank inhabitants.

Whatda' ya think?

exv152

Sounds pretty good. The other option you have too is to get yourself a python no spill kit. I think they come in 10 and 20 foot extension kits, so you can do water changing from your room directly down the drain. Many aquarists use it to also fill the tank from the tap, but put dechlorinator in the tank first, then turn the tap water on and adjust the temperature.

One other thing I forgot is the substrate. Make sure you get yourself a good quality substrate, there are many out there but make sure you get one for growing plants. I've used seachem flourite red, black and onyx sand, and ADA aquasoil, they all worked well for me. Others that come to mind are eco-complete by carib sea, fluval stratum, etc.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

Stussi613

Wow, I leave the country for a week and an AWESOME thread comes up.

First off, I'm really impressed with you Adam, I have a daughter your age and she rarely asks questions and does research before doing anything!

Secondly, metal halide is actually one of the most efficient types of lighting in terms of lumen output per watt...some lamps produce 115 lumens per watt, but they aren't designed for aquarium use. The only light source that eclipses MH is High Pressure Sodium, which is what lights our streets in Ottawa. 

I'm not trying to say that Adam should go with MH lighting, if you balance light output, heat output, cost and color spectrum T5HO is hard to beat for planted aquariums.  Just make sure the bulbs have the right spectrum for plant growth and have a high Colour Rendering Index, or CRI, so the plants and fish look natural.

I'm a big fan of black fluorite for substrate.  My 135g cichlid iteration I'm working on now is the first tank I've built that hasn't had it in some way, shape, or form.  It's relatively cheap, looks good and the plants I've kept seem to establish good root systems in it. 

Lastly, as someone with holes in the bottom of their tank, I'd recommend you don't put bulkheads in for water changes.  The chances for leaks are much higher (your tank is on the third floor!!) and you can accomplish water changes faster with a python, or using the outlet of your filter to push the water out.  Buy the cheapest python you can get at Big Als, then go to Home Depot and buy a long roll of 5/8 clear acrylic for potable water in the length you need to get to your bathroom.
I haz reef tanks.

werehatwere

QuoteLastly, as someone with holes in the bottom of their tank, I'd recommend you don't put bulkheads in for water changes.  The chances for leaks are much higher (your tank is on the third floor!!) and you can accomplish water changes faster with a python, or using the outlet of your filter to push the water out.  Buy the cheapest python you can get at Big Als, then go to Home Depot and buy a long roll of 5/8 clear acrylic for potable water in the length you need to get to your bathroom.

So my step dad calls my uncle, and 20 minutes later, there both in my room trying to figure out a way to get the water from my bathroom into my tank. (Uncle is a plumber). My mom likes the idea of going fully automatic with the water changes. Unfortunatley, this is one of the many aspects of the hobby that i am not familliar with. I need to do some serious research before I let the men go after my tank with their drills ;)
Can someone post a link about automatic tanks or something? I may just use the bulkhead for water changes or like Stussi said, eliminate it all together. How dose the water get conditioned when comming through automatically?
Can a python hose fill up a tank aswell? if thats the case, ill just run it from my bathroom tank to my tank.
Quote(your tank is on the third floor!!
Ya i would need to make sure its completley leak proff because the "library" is right under my room.

Stussi613

Quote from: werehatwere on January 13, 2013, 03:00:11 PM
How dose the water get conditioned when comming through automatically?

That's a good question. You'll need a supply of conditioned, heated water to add in using an automated change system. Most people who do automated systems have a barrel, or tank, that has a heater, air stone for circulation and pump to get the water to the tank.  Considering you do 50% changes you'll need at least 30g of storage for the water.

Can a python hose fill up a tank aswell? if thats the case, ill just run it from my bathroom tank to my tank.

Yes, the python has a valve that removes water from the tank when open, and fills the tank when closed.  A good amount of water flow is needed when the valve is open to get the water siphon going, then once its running you can shut the water off. When you're ready to refill you start the water with the valve open to get the temp right, then close the valve and it pushes water into the tank.  There are tons of videos on the youtube showing how it works.

Are you running a canister filter?  If so, its pretty easy to setup a system that uses the outflow to drain the tank. I could do 50% water changes in 20 minutes on my old 60g tank by using an adapter to get the python hose to attach to my filter outflow. The longest part was actually refilling the tank.
I haz reef tanks.

werehatwere

Yes i have an ehime...forget the name  :-\ Ya I may try that!

werehatwere

Oh! And forgot to ask earlier, this will be sufficent for all palnts? (Lighting wise) like glosso and hc?

QuoteOne other thing I forgot is the substrate. Make sure you get yourself a good quality substrate, there are many out there but make sure you get one for growing plants. I've used seachem flourite red, black and onyx sand, and ADA aquasoil, they all worked well for me. Others that come to mind are eco-complete by carib sea, fluval stratum, etc.
I havent really done any research on a good substrate. What would you recomend? ( I would perfer a more sandy looking substarte, if any look like that)

exv152

Quote from: werehatwere on January 13, 2013, 05:13:48 PMOh! And forgot to ask earlier, this will be sufficent for all palnts? (Lighting wise) like glosso and hc?
I havent really done any research on a good substrate. What would you recomend? ( I would perfer a more sandy looking substarte, if any look like that)

The T5HOs are definately strong enough for glosso and HC. I grow both and I have no issues, the glosso is a weed, but the HC is trickier. You may want something more granual like seachem flourite for HC, it's hard to root in sand or light soil based stuff. I recommend seachem flourite, both are good for carpet plants. Just from my personal experience.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

werehatwere

Quotehe T5HOs are definately strong enough for glosso and HC. I grow both and I have no issues, the glosso is a weed, but the HC is trickier. You may want something more granual like seachem flourite for HC, it's hard to root in sand or light soil based stuff. I recommend seachem flourite, both are good for carpet plants. Just from my personal experience.
Oh that sounds great! Ya i plan to have most of the tank bottom covered except for a winding path down the middel (unplanted) so it dosent really matter what color the substrate is!
Just out of curiosity, where did you get all of your original hard to find spicies?
Some of the plants that my mother wants maybe difficult to find LOL  :)
She says that i find them, she'll put the money down.
I wonder what a good place is...any suggestions?
ALSO
While on the subject, what do you think i should stalk the tank with? I really want some exotic livebearers, but cant find them at big als.

exv152

Quote from: werehatwere on January 13, 2013, 05:40:12 PM
Just out of curiosity, where did you get all of your original hard to find spicies?
Some of the plants that my mother wants maybe difficult to find LOL  :)
She says that i find them, she'll put the money down.
I wonder what a good place is...any suggestions?
ALSO
While on the subject, what do you think i should stalk the tank with? I really want some exotic livebearers, but cant find them at big als.

Ah yes, welcome to the hobby. What you want and what you can manage to get localy are two different things. But if you're patient enough you'll find most of what you're looking for locally. The rest you can probably order online. I got my glossostigma from another member of the forum. The classifieds on this site are a good source from time to time. The HC I got from LaNiche in Gatineau, and I've seen it locally at times in different petsmarts. BAs sometimes also gets HC and glosso in, but you have to go when they first get their shipments in. Both BAs also have a really good selection of livebearers like mollies, swordtails, guppies, platys, endlers etc.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

werehatwere

QuoteThe HC I got from LaNiche in Gatineau, and I've seen it locally at times in different petsmarts. BAs sometimes also gets HC and glosso in, but you have to go when they first get their shipments in.
Great! I'll keep my eyes open! :)

As for the fish, BA dose have quite the selction, but Im talking about specific colours and traits that would be very hard to find in any fish store...ex- double bleeding heart lyretail sword. Propably something I would have to get offline :( I am currently composing a list off all of my (and i guess my mothers now LOL :D ) favorite flora and fuana, that I hope to one day have. Ill post it soon, and it will also help to figure out if there is any major flaws in my plant stocking