New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Swap Tables

Started by Shawn84, February 25, 2014, 05:02:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shawn84

Miss out on your talk Sid! Couldn't make it back in time from Montreal. So for the people that miss out on the meeting. What is the current update for Aquamania? When can we sign up for a table like last year?

Shawn
A bunch a fishes.....
A bunch a tanks...........

Stussi613

Quote from: Shawn84 on February 25, 2014, 05:02:24 PM
Miss out on your talk Sid! Couldn't make it back in time from Montreal. So for the people that miss out on the meeting. What is the current update for Aquamania? When can we sign up for a table like last year?

Shawn

At this time there will not be any tables available to club members for AquaMania.  The costs for the event have doubled from last year and as a result the spaces are reserved for club sponsors and paying event sponsors.  As we get closer to the event we will release tables on a first come, first served basis if there are any become available.
I haz reef tanks.

Shawn84

Quote from: Stussi613 on February 25, 2014, 06:04:00 PM
At this time there will not be any tables available to club members for AquaMania.  The costs for the event have doubled from last year and as a result the spaces are reserved for club sponsors and paying event sponsors.  As we get closer to the event we will release tables on a first come, first served basis if there are any become available.

I think you guy should rethink this plan. The member are paying for the event also. So the exec should have table allocated for this. Members don't need a lot of table but they should still have some.

That's just my 2 cents
A bunch a fishes.....

ajm1961

We'll look into it Shawn. We are still in the process of finalizing the room details. Any annoucement will be in the AquaMania board.
SHARE YOUR PASSION FOR THE HOBBY!

Stussi613

Quote from: Shawn84 on February 25, 2014, 07:50:11 PM

I think you guy should rethink this plan. The member are paying for the event also. So the exec should have table allocated for this. Members don't need a lot of table but they should still have some.

That's just my 2 cents

Aquamania is being 100% funded by revenue from sponsors of the event,  none of the program money is being used for the event and there is no admission fee, but thanks for your opinion.   As I mentioned, if tables become available they will be announced and handed out in the AquaMania thread.
I haz reef tanks.

Shawn84

Quote from: Stussi613 on February 25, 2014, 10:22:04 PM
Aquamania is being 100% funded by revenue from sponsors of the event,  none of the program money is being used for the event and there is no admission fee, but thanks for your opinion.   As I mentioned, if tables become available they will be announced and handed out in the AquaMania thread.

Funds for the club program are different compare to the club money. Hats off to the exec if 100% of the club money is not spend toward this event in anyway. Since you guys still in the work on the event and sponsor it's a bold statement to say you have it cover 100%.
A bunch a fishes.....

Stussi613

Quote from: Shawn84 on February 26, 2014, 11:09:50 AM
Funds for the club program are different compare to the club money. Hats off to the exec if 100% of the club money is not spend toward this event in anyway. Since you guys still in the work on the event and sponsor it's a bold statement to say you have it cover 100%.

Shawn,

The ovas finances are wide open for any member to see, if you're making an insinuation do it formally.

Stuart
I haz reef tanks.

limed

That really good that Aquamania is being 100% funded by revenue from sponsors of the event
hotel rooms and speakers expense for this Aquamania event.

Hats off to you guy's.

Ed

charlie

Quote from: Stussi613 on February 25, 2014, 06:04:00 PM
So if I`m understanding this message correctly ,it reads like this - at this present time available tables for the space/room acquired may all maybe taken up by participating sponsors & paying event sponsors, should the organisers have any left over tables as it gets closer you will then be able to figure out if all tables that you can fit into the room is paid for or not which will then give you the ability to give members a FREE table.
Don't know, but somehow that sounds reasonable to me, but of course the organisers can always cancel the paying sponsors whose money is off setting the expense of the event & allocate those tables to members or rent another room & tables for our members to use free and take a financial beating. ::) ::) :'(

Shawn84

Quote from: Stussi613 on February 26, 2014, 11:42:20 AM
Shawn,

The ovas finances are wide open for any member to see, if you're making an insinuation do it formally.

Stuart

I'm not making an insinuation. I was just saying its a bold statement considering you guys are still in the worh of things and not everything has finalize yet that's all. Like I said hats off to you guys if 100% is paid for by the sponsor and not coming out of the club funds. I don't want to cause a stink over this issues. I just simply just wanted to know

Shawn
A bunch a fishes.....

limed

It just need about 10 tables for about 2 hours on Saturday between talks (re-arrange times)
which is called a swap meet. This is when anyone can sell their
stuff at their price instead in the auction. This gives opportunity to wheel and deal and meet
everyone in person. Interacting with other people interested in the hobby.
But they would still have to book a table. 
  Let say 3 tables come available, how do you decide who will get them? First come first
serve. Some of the people are not on the site everyday.
  Also if this is not costing us any money and with the money we should make on Sunday
our balance will be high. Can we carried this balance over to next year? I thought their was
a limit you can carry over to next year.

Ed

Dxpert

I don't like the idea of a swap meet, the main point of the event is the auction on Sunday - I believe this conflicts.

Stussi613

I wish we'd gotten this much discussion when we were begging for volunteers earlier this year.

The program is set, if there are tables for a swap meet we will release them first come, first served before the event.

As to the amount we can carry forward from year to year, and I say this with nothing but sadness, at this point there won't be enough people on the exec for there to be an ovas next year so how much money is left won't matter.

Everyone has an opinion when they aren't happy about something, but they are always quiet when it's time to step up and actually do the job.  I used to see the execs write this and not understand it, but I honestly will not miss this club at the end of this season.
I haz reef tanks.

SlyAngel

I find it very sad when I read this. We have been very busy trying to create Aquamania with little resources, lots of time and efforts. Now that we are almost set, people want to change the concept. Where were everyone when we asked help, lots of great ideas could have been voted in , but 1 month and half before the event it's a bit hard to re-arrange or change everything.

If we do have tables available we will make sure to post it, we can maybe take name and phone numbers and as soon as we know we can call you. Right now we DO not have tables available so people shouldn't take this personnel.

Instead of trying to change the event why don't we all work together and make it a success. If next year, people want to change the way Aquamania is then there will be lots of  available positions in the committee to do so.

The sponsors are really helping us to make it a great event so we have to give them the space to present their supplies etc.

Like Stuart said, everyone can see the budget, we do not hide it from anyone. After Aquamania, we still have 2 meetings and one of them will be either a BBQ or a meal for our members. If you have any questions, please send a PM to either Andre or Stuart and they will be more then happy to answer you.

Let's all work as a team!
I share two angel fish tanks - both of which my hubby takes care of! What's not to like?

charlie

Quote from: Stussi613 on February 26, 2014, 01:40:08 PM
I wish we'd gotten this much discussion when we were begging for volunteers earlier this year.

The program is set, if there are tables for a swap meet we will release them first come, first served before the event.

As to the amount we can carry forward from year to year, and I say this with nothing but sadness, at this point there won't be enough people on the exec for there to be an ovas next year so how much money is left won't matter.

Everyone has an opinion when they aren't happy about something, but they are always quiet when it's time to step up and actually do the job.  I used to see the execs write this and not understand it, but I honestly will not miss this club at the end of this season.
It`s unfortunate that the mind set of hobbyist is what the club will & should do for me, very few have the right mind set of what can I do for the club. I sincerely hope all the great ideas that have been posted time & again will cause the authors of great suggestions to step up to the exec. next season & execute them.

Mike L

I don't understand the conflict with regards to the format that has been used.
Speakers Saturday and auction on Sunday. During these events there is plenty of time to talk with fellow hobbyists and"Get To Know Them". Auctions are just that. A opportunity to get a desired product at a reasonable price.. or not. If you have a product you wish to sell at a price you might not get at auction then post in the classifieds and haggle then. The sponsors should have priority given that they are footing the bill.
The executive has done a great job this year with limited manpower and I for one commend their efforts.

ajm1961

Thanks Mike - appreciate the sentiment. To paraphrase Kermit: "It's not easy being green, uh... an exec"!  :P

robt18

If the sponsors have covered the expense of the convention, that's phenomenal and i congratulate everyone who made that happen and thank the sponsors for their support.

The auction is a fantastic opportunity for personal vendors to sell their items, and hobbyists to find unique, useful and desired items. I've always loved the giant auction and think the garage sale-style meeting before it can really detract from the auction portion.

Program dollars are generated from the auction, therefore it is necessary to keep the club financially viable. Vendors pay for tables and space, thus covering the cost of a convention. I think everything works out nicely this way for everyone.

fishmonger

Im so sad to read that OVAS might come to an end, Ive been a member for years, and would pay just to access the forum, so many interesting and helpful people and topics.  I've never made it to a meeting, Im a limited hobbyist.

Ive volunteered at 2 auctions, and hope to do be welcomed to do so again this year.  Having worked with other volunteer based groups, I can empathise with the efforts our exec team must make, and can say its a far more thankless job that many can imagine, with a lot of hours that go into making things look easy.

I look forward to seeing everyone at the auction, itll be another great event.

Karen

ajm1961

OVAS only comes to an end if nobody cares to keep it going. So let's not jump to that conclusion right now! Elections are a few months away and hopefully we'll get a minimum number of volunteers to step up.

And YES we welcome you to join the volunteer team  for AquaMania. We'll be posting all the positions we need in the next few days. I hope you can make it. Thanks for the offer Karen!

:)

Shawn84

No one ever said that the exec didn't do a good job with the man power they had this year. Like I said at the beginning of this all hats off to the exec if all fund are being covered by the sponsor and club fund are not being pour into this.
A bunch a fishes.....