New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Med. Question (Frontosa)

Started by cory, November 27, 2006, 10:55:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cory

I noticed one of my Frontosa has like a worm or something comming out of its side. Im conserned and have been researching. Anyone have any ideas.

I found this and will buy tonight if you think it will work.

Tank Buddies Parasite Clear from Jungle Labs

cory

babblefish1960

Can you better describe the offending parasite, where it is located, and what its diameter might be, possible length, and any other distinguishing characteristics? Is it simply straight, does it have a club on either end, is it coiled, curly, or merely wavy, is it white, or any other colour, is there only one, or are there others attached elsewhere, to other fish perhaps, or even free swimming or attached to the glass?

Identification will better help you determine the proper course of treatment and prevent unnecessary losses from bad medicine choices.

A good picture would also help.

cory

I would love to give a pic! and its been troubling me all day at work that i cannot take a pic and show everyone. I will get one 100% tonight and post. It is like a sting like growth on the side of the fish. Its basically almost dead in the center of the fish. It seems to be free flowing with the fish, It is white.

Like i said a pic will be posted tonight when i get home. Hopefully nothing has went wrong in the tank :(

cory

well i tried taking pics and they dont show the problem. It blends in with the fishs white stripe. Sorry.

cory

I made this in paint to kind of explain it.

bitterman

Cory are you sure it is a paracite and not that the fish ran into a sharp rock and cut itself? Without a real pic of the fish its hard to tell.

Fronts are known for spooking and running into stuff.

Bruce

pegasus

Cory, it might be an anchor worm. Google anchor worm or lernaea sp?
As you know, I'm from the old school and only use use the old cures. That's why I don't reply to any post on diseases but since you know me ... here goes.

You could use one of these four substances/chemicals: parafine, turpentine, potassium permanganate or D.F.D.. my preference to the permanganate. As a kid with small tropical fish I would just add the permanganate to the tank to kill the free swimming crustacean, while giving the sick fish a more concentrated bath for just a few minutes. For a frontosa (much bigger than a guppy) I would paint the worm with a brush (with the K permanganate) wait 30 sec and then try to remove the worm with tweezers.

If you think that's what it is, see if Oenology still have some. She sold 2-3 small bottles of the stuff at one of the mini auction. 

good luck

cory

after looking through pages and pages of anchor worm pics, i think i will have to rule it out on this case. It also looks to be getting better. There is a lot of aggression from my labs towards the frontosa. I think it could of been a battle wond. Thank you for all the help. I greatly appreciate it!