New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

C.F. bulb and ballast question

Started by beertech, September 08, 2007, 12:47:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

beertech

I need some electronics advice.  I am trying to get a worklight that I have to fire some Coralife 13 watt C.F. bulbs. These are the 2 pin type that push straight in. Inside the worklight are 2 seperate ballasts each wired up to 2 C.F. tubes, for a total of 52 watts. The ballasts are actually small circuit boards with capacitors and small coils etc..  The light works fine with the original bulbs, but when I try the Coralife ones,(they are made for electronic ballasts) they just flicker and hum until I touch the bulb, then it lights up.  I tried grounding the reflector, but they only fire if they are actually touching the grounded reflector.  Does anybody know anything about this kind of issue, and is it ok to have the bulbs touching the reflector all the time?  I got the light really cheap, and the bulbs for free, so I was thinking it would be a good setup for a 10 gal. nano tank.  Any ideas are appreciated,

Thanks,
Gord.