New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Tank leaking from the overflow gasket

Started by mmaisonneuve, September 15, 2011, 02:04:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mmaisonneuve

I'm in deep trouble my tank is leaking from the gasket at the bottom of the Overflow going to the sump. No space to get those more thight and I guess the Gasket to be replace if necessary.

HELP HELP HELP.

How do I get this repaired ? Thank is full of live rock, sand and water surely there is a special tool out there to fix this ? or perhaps someone the repair those issue ?

Thanks
90g Tank, 50g Sump. Super Reef Octopus 2000 skimmer , 1 Bio Beads reactor, 1 GFO Reactor, 1 Carbon Reactor, 2 Ecotech Radion XR30w, 3 Vortech MP10w ES,  Eheim 1260 Return Pump. AquaController Apex System. SPS Reef with Purple Tang, Yellow Tang, Dejardini Tang, Mated pair Madanrin, Clown, Purple Fire Fish, Bengali Cardinals, Coral Beauty. Tons and tons of Snail and Hermits

NjOyRiD

enleve ton top, vide ton eau dans loverflow, enelve les tuyau dans loverflow, deconnecte ceux den bas, pis chnage tes bulkheads si besoins
peut etre tes bulkheads etait juste pas asser tight
370g System

220g tank, 65g Sump. octopus Cone skimmer xp-5000, vertex zf-30 nitrate reactor, RX6 DUO Ca reactor, Mp60w Ecotech pump, 2x 400w MH XM bulbs 15k. All controlled with DA RKE-net controller, Water Blaster HY-3000 return pump, Vertex Zf-15/Carbon, Vertex Zf-15/GFO

mmaisonneuve

There is not enough space for me to tight those bulkhead a litte more :{
90g Tank, 50g Sump. Super Reef Octopus 2000 skimmer , 1 Bio Beads reactor, 1 GFO Reactor, 1 Carbon Reactor, 2 Ecotech Radion XR30w, 3 Vortech MP10w ES,  Eheim 1260 Return Pump. AquaController Apex System. SPS Reef with Purple Tang, Yellow Tang, Dejardini Tang, Mated pair Madanrin, Clown, Purple Fire Fish, Bengali Cardinals, Coral Beauty. Tons and tons of Snail and Hermits

JetJumper

If you over tighten a bulkhead it will cause it to leak as well so be careful there.  Was there anything that might have got caught under the rubber to cause a small pathway for water to get out?  Sand? Algae?  Anything?  If there is something under the rubber gasket then you will have to take it out and clean it, then put it back.

What kind of bulkhead did you use?

I find the white pool ones tend to leak on me and the black ones do not.

Leaks for me:

Doesn't leak for me:
.: JetJumper's Zone :.

mmaisonneuve

Got the tank used I guess it was to tight ? anyway Took them out and will try to replace them today. Where Can I get the black one ? and how to I get it thight ? There is no room unless some type of special socket exist ???

JetJumper

I got mine from Ray.  He usually has most of them in stock for a good price each.  All of mine I hand tighten.  I don't use any tools.  I find if you have pipe coming out of it its enough force to use the pipe to twist it one way, and just hold onto the threaded massive nut.  If that makes sense?
.: JetJumper's Zone :.

mmaisonneuve

I guess. I'll get 2 new one today.... Now my problem comes from the bottom of the canopy it's all plywood with only a small opening to get access to the Bulkead. When I screew in the fittings to the drop and to the return it looses the big nut and I get a leak !@#$$!@#. Really angry at this new project.

mmaisonneuve

Any chance I could glue a White flex inside the of the Bulkhead part going down ? It's a Slip inside and a piece of those white flex tubing fits perfectly...that way I just glue it and bend the pipe to the sump return :) Now no need to screew and that way the big thight nut does not get loose ?

zoom111

How long have you had the tank setup ? If you buy used equipment you should always replace small things like bulkheads and smaller hardware that way you know you did it right and will not have these issues. But if the tank has no livestock, all I saw was liverock, you could always drain it and leave .5" of water and replace the bulkhead ??

mmaisonneuve

Got it all fixed thanks to the help of Mark and Keith at MarineScape.....sometime you might pay a little more but man service and knowledge is everything....specially when you start in this hobby.

Thanks MarineScape....and thanks PVC store...