New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Help with columnaris

Started by Tones, March 02, 2013, 04:57:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tones

Hi folk, any clue where I can get Terramycin or formalin in Ottawa ? My guppies are dying on me one by one. So far I've done a 40% water change added salt and all the water parameters (ammonia,nitrite,nitrate and ph) are good. I think I got it from a guppy I bought a few days ago from the lfs and added him without a quarantine period of any kind. All the research I've done so far points directly to columnaris cos of the "saddle back" marks they are all getting and it's hitting my girlys real hard.

As always any advice is much appreciated. 

:(

dbl_dbl

Salt and lowering the temperature works for true Columnaris; I've also used a short term bath in Methylene Blue on some Rams I had that developed this. Good luck!

angelcraze

Columnaris is highly contagious and caused by bacteria.  Maracyn and Maracyn II or triple sulfa is suggested for treatment, also lowering the temp, if you are sure it's columnaris, but you could try salt and rebuilding the slime coat with 'stress coat'.  I thought I might have columnaris in my congo tetra tank, but I am just keeping a very close eye, conditions very good, and added a bit of salt and melafix along with some stress coat.  It might be spawning aggression with the females, (at least in my case) because I have found eggs and the females are being harassed.  The males look perfect, if it were columnaris, the disease would also affect the males eventually.  Hope this helps.
Give me ShReD till I'm dEaD!!!