New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

possible stock for 75G semi planted

Started by Lexx, January 04, 2015, 11:18:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lexx

I was thinking about these fish.
http://www.aqadvisor.com/AquStockImage.php?N=&L=48&D=18&H=20&J=&UV=gUS&UL=inch&F=2:200909300033:,7:200909300114:,7:200909300175:,7:200909300041:,7:200909300144:,7:200909300124:,7:200912171330:,7:200909300241:,7:200912141347:,7:200909300025:

Anyone see any potential issues? Any thoughts or ideas? I'm still researching plants and equipment. so if there are concerns regarding those parameters then it's still early enough to make changes.

Morgan

robt18

A couple notes....

I wouldn't add the danios - they're just going to chase everyone around and cause stress.
Small schools of 7 fish are going to get lost in a 74 gallon tank. I'd pick a few of your favourites and put more significant schools in. You could easily put a school of 50 neon tetras in that tank with all of the other fish and it still wouldn't be fully stocked.
Hatchets are nice fish but make sure you have a lid because they like to jump!

sanny

Looks pretty good! Only thing you should watch out for are the bleeding heart tetras. They're fin nippers and they'll fin nip the danios. I would replace them with columbian tetras or some boesmani rainbowfish.

charlie

Quote from: robt18 on January 05, 2015, 08:51:00 AM
A couple notes....

I wouldn't add the danios - they're just going to chase everyone around and cause stress.
Small schools of 7 fish are going to get lost in a 74 gallon tank. I'd pick a few of your favourites and put more significant schools in. You could easily put a school of 50 neon tetras in that tank with all of the other fish and it still wouldn't be fully stocked.
Hatchets are nice fish but make sure you have a lid because they like to jump!
X2
in my 79 gallon I have easily 100+ Cardinals, small fish like neons have a small bio load per fish.
Regards

lucius

Unless they are the same gender, I would stick with only one BN pleco.  You could get a male and a female and have them breed on you, unless you want that.  If you want something for algae, you can try oto cats. 

I had trouble keeping pygmy cory's alive because they are very sensitive to water changes.  This was in my 20 gallon, maybe in a 75 gallon they would do better.

White cloud minnows prefer cooler water.

My Bleeding Heart Tetras hide in the plants when the lights are on.  I don't think they like bright lights but they didn't do this when they were younger.

exv152

I agree with others here, smaller schools of fish have less of an impact visually, one or two large schools tend to look better to the viewer, and fish tend to school/shoal better in larger groups too. AqAdvisor will give you a series of warnings when you plug in your selections, further down the page it will give you a good indication of who is compatible with whom. It's a good online tool, but it has its drawbacks too.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

JayT

I agree with what was written by others: if you like the little schooling fish, have lots of individuals of only 1-2 species so that their schooling behaviour is more evident.  It is also much more visually appealing to have a big school or two versus small groups of half a dozen species.  

I used to have a tank with pygmy cories on the bottom, 2 large groups of galaxy rasboras and cardinal tetras for the middle, and a small group of clown killies on top, which was nice because there was always something going on whichever strata you looked at.  

Lexx

Thank you all for the replies! I have made some modifications to the list and changed a few things. I'm hoping that this list is better suitable to schooling/shoaling and every level of the tank will have a bit of colour/action. I've realized why you all were saying that the bio load was not full(no filter/s added). This will still be the case in this load out but i can add more to the schools when ready.

http://www.aqadvisor.com/AquStockImage.php?N=&L=48&D=18&H=20&J=&UV=gUS&UL=inch&F=6:200909300114:,6:200909300175:,15:200909300181:,30:200909300019:,30:200909300039:,30:200909300065:

Morgan

robt18

Looking good. No issues, but another note - all the fish are small. I have the feeling that you'll eventually want a couple bigger show-y fish in the mix. Up to you of course but I'm sure you'd still have room for them if you decide to go that route.

lucius

Quote from: robt18 on January 06, 2015, 09:38:05 AM
Looking good. No issues, but another note - all the fish are small. I have the feeling that you'll eventually want a couple bigger show-y fish in the mix. Up to you of course but I'm sure you'd still have room for them if you decide to go that route.

I'm with you but with bigger fish the cherry shrimp will probably not last long in there.

Lexx

Quote from: lucius on January 06, 2015, 06:46:19 PM
I'm with you but with bigger fish the cherry shrimp will probably not last long in there.

I was thinking the same thing! Even though i have no idea what a Bigger show-y peaceful fish would be? lol, that's a mouthful! I'm getting there! Thank you all for the help. I'm so glad i found this wonderful site!

lucius

Instead of cherry shrimp, you can try amano shrimp instead.

Lexx

Quote from: lucius on January 07, 2015, 08:50:51 AM
Instead of cherry shrimp, you can try amano shrimp instead.

That is a possibility. I will have to look into care for them before i can say for sure?

It's funny everyone says find out what kind of fish you want and go from there (like tank size, filtration, etc. etc.). Out of the 3 fish i wanted only one made it into this list! I guess i will need more than one tank then  8)

lucius

When I decided to try tropical fish, I checked out the Aqadvisor site but decided it was pointless in picking out fish online if the LFS store (in my case BA's east) never carried the fish.  Instead, I went on multiple scouting trips to BA's east and west, Critter Jungle, La Niche and even some Petsmart locations to see what they had in stock and did my research this way. 

Lexx

Ya that was my plan. It seems that when i am near a PetSmart, i don't have time to stop. I've been in Critter Jungle a few times for stuff for my Parrotlet, but not since i have decided to get back into fish. I've stopped at Big Al's East a few times. I tend to not want to go back out after i get home from work. Plus i'm about 1/2 an hour south of Ottawa. I do plan to get out to some more stores and see what's available in the area. Maybe this weekend will see a day of travel! Is La Niche hard to find? I don't do well on the other side of the river. Always seem to get lost.

Morgan

lucius

First time I went to La Niche, I got lost as well.  I followed my GPS and for some reason it directed me to the wrong side of Maloney Blvd.  Google maps has the right location.

City of Gatineau don't seem to take priority in clearing their roads so it was a little slick today.  Might be fine this weekend.

Lexx

Thanks for the tip. I use my phone for GPS, so i think it's Google maps? Either way if i end up across the street, i should be ok to find my way across the road.

Morgan