New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

My 300 gallon tank

Started by wolfiewill, February 16, 2015, 06:16:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wolfiewill

"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish." Mark Twain

exv152

Tank looks great Greg. The pictures don't do it justice. Which co2 regulator did you finally decide on?
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

sanny

Beautiful tank Greg. Can't wait to see it once its finally done. Just wondering about the nice driftwoods in the pictures, which lake did you find them from?

charlie

Looking grrrrrrrrrrreat!!!!!!
What took you so long to share :P
Looking forward to seeing it in a bit.

Stussi613

Looks great, but I can't understand why you didn't just sump it and hide all those overflow tubes and stuff showing on the sides  :-\
I haz reef tanks.

Dxpert

Absolutely amazing! I'm excited to see the rest of the technology get installed.

Al

Greg,
Very impressive setup - and great choice of aquascaping materials. What are the dimensions of the tank? and filtration?

wolfiewill

Quote from: exv152 on February 16, 2015, 07:41:05 PM
Tank looks great Greg. The pictures don't do it justice. Which co2 regulator did you finally decide on?

There doesn't actually appear to be one for a tank this size. I'm going to try to place your water filter this week and see how it does. I purchased a GLA Pro-4 for it. It's probably more than I need (I hope), so I'll put in on several other tanks and purchase exactly what will do the job later.

Quote from: sanny on February 16, 2015, 07:47:47 PM
Beautiful tank Greg. Can't wait to see it once its finally done. Just wondering about the nice driftwoods in the pictures, which lake did you find them from?

One of the several White Lakes in Eastern Ontario, and I afraid there is no public access. It's actually the lake that feeds Sharbot Lake and the MNR has a fish hatchery there and has restricted access to..... well no one.
Quote from: charlie on February 16, 2015, 08:00:21 PM
Looking grrrrrrrrrrreat!!!!!!
What took you so long to share :P

Actually, nothing. I've been putting pictures up since mid- November (I think). It's just that it's not near complete and I hesitated posting the URL. I've agreed to give a talk on it at the Plantaholics meeting. Warts and all.
Quote from: Stussi613 on February 17, 2015, 01:50:33 AM
Looks great, but I can't understand why you didn't just sump it and hide all those overflow tubes and stuff showing on the sides  :-\

If you come to the Plantaholics get together I'll reveal all about that.

Quote from: Dxpert on February 17, 2015, 05:47:42 AM
Absolutely amazing! I'm excited to see the rest of the technology get installed.

Not much is going to happen to that tank before the 28th, except some badly needed trimming. The high tech stuff will come when I have a little more time. I still have some nuts and bolts issues to settle before I start getting too fancy.
Quote from: Al on February 17, 2015, 08:01:09 AM
Very impressive setup - and great choice of aquascaping materials. What are the dimensions of the tank? and filtration?

The tank is 6 feet by 3 feet by 30 inches tall (299 gallons); presently there are two Eheim 1500XLs, and one Eheim 2215 for polishing, but I'm going to over haul the filtration piping, so will probably add another polishing filter if I can. And I have to thank you, Al, for the contacts and info about the manufacturer, Miracles. They were terrific, the job was unbelievable and the tank and stand are terrific. I owe you a beer, come to the Plantaholics meeting and I can repay you.
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish." Mark Twain

exv152

Quote from: wolfiewill on February 17, 2015, 11:08:10 AMThere doesn't actually appear to be one for a tank this size. I'm going to try to place your water filter this week and see how it does.

There definitely aren't any commercially available co2 reactors for a tank that big (at least not one alone that will do the job), but smaller multiple reactors will work, the trick is to get the flow rate right for the size of the reactor. I lent you a 10" water filter housing which worked great with an eheim 2213, and it may or may not work with a 2215, but it's worth a try. I suspect a 20" housing will work better. If you ever switch to a sump system it would be easier to seal the sump and use that as your reactor.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

wolfiewill

Quote from: exv152 on February 17, 2015, 12:40:52 PM
There definitely aren't any commercially available co2 reactors for a tank that big (at least not one alone that will do the job), but smaller multiple reactors will work, the trick is to get the flow rate right for the size of the reactor. I lent you a 10" water filter housing which worked great with an eheim 2213, and it may or may not work with a 2215, but it's worth a try. I suspect a 20" housing will work better. If you ever switch to a sump system it would be easier to seal the sump and use that as your reactor.

I going to the Pump House sometime very soon. The intention is to see what's available locally, and at what cost. I'll try to get fittings for your filter housing to match my tubing size (16/22). The question is: Does anyone know any other local outlets that specialize in this type of thing. I may special order, but really, really, want to see exactly what I'm getting first.

And, Eric, that pipe running down the inside of the filter, did you add that? And are the holes at the bottom necessary?

exv152

Quote from: wolfiewill on February 18, 2015, 01:34:03 PMDoes anyone know any other local outlets that specialize in this type of thing...

And, Eric, that pipe running down the inside of the filter, did you add that? And are the holes at the bottom necessary?

Princess Auto might have some pvc reducer fittings for your tubing.

Yes, I added the clear pvc pipe inside, and I added holes (only at the bottom) so it wouldn't restrict the flow too much. Otherwise the pvc pipe almost goes the full length of the filter housing which would really wreak havoc on the flow.  Keep in mind, this is my own diy personal invention, and there's probably a half dozen ways to go about it. The trick I found with a cerges reactor is to get the flow going in through the output side of the housing (essentially run it backwards than its intended direction). You can add scubbies, a throttle valve on the tubing, a separate pump etc etc. The possibilities are endless. You can also do the same with a prefilter or polishing filter (create a cerges reactor out of it), or run a series of reactors in-line. I've also thought of using, but actually haven't done it, a calcium or phosphate reactor as they come with a separate pump and there's no need to hook it up to your canister filter.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

zolta

My co2 reactor as you know is a house water filter, I also put a pvc tube down the middle.  It is a standard 3/4" PVC pipe outside diameter.  I just shoved it in place.  Like Eric I reversed the flow direction.  On my tiny tank by comparison it works well.  I would imagine a larger home water filter housing or two side by side would work for you.  The question is getting the co2 to dissolve.  A lot of coarse filter sponge in the filter housing would help as would introducing the co2 some distance prior to the reactors.  There is also a horizontal design I have seen in large installations that apparently works well.  This is basically a large diameter PVC pipe containing plastic bio balls or coarse filter sponge  with each end sealed with threaded ends and with hose size spigots attached to them to allow the water to enter and exit.  The co2 is added here, then the water goes to a vertical reactor.  The combination of both allows for a large quantity of co2 to dissolve.

The home despot that is close to you on the 417 has a very large supply of PVC pipes and fittings
65 gal tall planted

lucius

When I was shopping around for PVC fittings, I found Rona had the biggest selection.  But the one in the east end always had empty bins.  Not sure about the one on Hunt Club.

wolfiewill

I've tried the Home Depot for PVC fittings and they don't restock very well and don't have a good assortment to start with. The sales rep there suggested PVC Plus on Colonnade Road and they have a great assortment and the sales rep there was terrific. I'll probably get my stuff there. Very few who respond on the forums in which I have posed the question, have actually done this. Most suggest to try two or three big ones but I liked the idea suggested by zolta: A horizontal tube with bio balls. I've got lots of room in the cabinet below, but will run out of room quickly if I'm adding several 20" water filters. A long horizontal tube would save space, especially if I attach it to the roof of the cabinet. I gotta think on this.

charlie

I think one or max 2 20 inch cerges style reactors is all you need.

exv152

Quote from: wolfiewill on February 20, 2015, 09:55:22 AMMost suggest to try two or three big ones but I liked the idea suggested by zolta: A horizontal tube with bio balls. I've got lots of room in the cabinet below, but will run out of room quickly if I'm adding several 20" water filters. A long horizontal tube would save space, especially if I attach it to the roof of the cabinet. I gotta think on this.

I'm going to play devil's advocate; mounting a co2 reactor horizontally kind of goes against the principle of its design and functionality beit a diy rex grigg or cerges reactor style. The purpose of having it vertical is to have any excess co2 stay trapped at the top of the reactor, while the water flows downward against it, and the bubbles want to rise automatically, you get the two forces working against each other to efficiently disolve the co2 almost 100%. You'll notice this with your aquamedic 1000, the pocket of co2 built up at the top does not go to waste, it eventually gets discolved into the tank. You want that opposing action/force to be working in your reactor, and I find it hard to imagine how that would work in a horizontal design. I know you've got space constraints you're working with. I'm skeptical of the horizontal design. The only way I see it potentially working in the horizontal position would be if you had really low flow, but even then there's nowhere for the excess co2 to get trapped.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

zolta

Quote from: exv152 on February 20, 2015, 01:19:12 PM
I'm going to play devil's advocate; mounting a co2 reactor horizontally kind of goes against the principle of its design and functionality beit a diy rex grigg or cerges reactor style.

The horizontal is designed to work in conjunction with a vertical not on its own.  The horizontal element prior to the vertical one offers greater chance of the co2 dissolving overall
65 gal tall planted

charlie

Quote from: charlie on February 20, 2015, 11:31:26 AM
I think one or max 2 20 inch cerges style reactors is all you need.
CO2 to needle wheel pump to 20" Cerges

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKuLCa3ZMKk

exv152

Quote from: zolta on February 20, 2015, 02:04:17 PM
The horizontal is designed to work in conjunction with a vertical not on its own.  The horizontal element prior to the vertical one offers greater chance of the co2 dissolving overall

Gotcha, I see what you mean now.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

fischkopp

Quote from: wolfiewill on February 16, 2015, 06:16:20 PM
I have pictures of the 300 gallon tank I've been working on.

I have to repeat what everyone else says: This is an AWESOME setup! Good choice of aquascaping pieces.
Can't wait to see it in person!
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031