New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

25G - South America Community Tank

Started by bizfromqc, February 06, 2012, 11:45:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bizfromqc

Quick little update.

Got my hands on 5 (I really wanted 6 but they only had 5...) long fin peppered corys (Corydoras Paleatus). They are really cool looking little guys but are a little shy now since I put them in the tank. They're currently hanging out at the base of the Cabomba carloliniana but will try to take pics of them when they come out  ;)

Lurch1

I talked to BA and they said they should have some agassizi's in 3 weeks.

bizfromqc

I removed my female A. cacatuoides from the 20G and the male A. cacatuoides from the 10g and reunited them in the 25G.

The babies are now old enough to be on their own (almost 6 weeks now) and my male was getting a little lonely  ;) Didn't take too long for them to pair up again and they've been swimming along nicely since then. The male coloured up like crazy, I think he's trying to conquer the heart of his lady once more  ;D

The corys are now out and about swimming in a group, it's really nice to see them all together, makes for a really interesting tank.

That's it for fish for a little while to give the tank enough time to adjust to the new bioload. In a couple of weeks, I want to add some cardinal tetras and a bushynose pleco.

Eric

daworldisblack

Sounds like everything thing is going well 'swimmingly' eh? :) The project sounds pretty exciting! You going to add splashes of blue and red to the orang from your cacatuoides once you get the cardinals in! Should look real nice! Can't believe its already been 6 weeks that the fry have been around!
Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!

bizfromqc

Quote from: daworldisblack on March 16, 2012, 10:15:22 AM
Sounds like everything thing is going well 'swimmingly' eh? :) The project sounds pretty exciting! You going to add splashes of blue and red to the orang from your cacatuoides once you get the cardinals in! Should look real nice! Can't believe its already been 6 weeks that the fry have been around!

Seems like they get bigger everyday. The GBR juvies have also exploded, they're now bigger than the apistos!

daworldisblack

Quote from: bizfromqc on March 16, 2012, 11:46:10 AM
Seems like they get bigger everyday. The GBR juvies have also exploded, they're now bigger than the apistos!

Very nice! They'll be colourful little guys/gals soon! Mine remind me of disco balls haha. Looking forward to pics!

bizfromqc

A video of some of the corys and the cacatuoides couple.

[embed=425,349]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQom6Juz9xg[/embed]

freshfishies

probably a silly question...but I can't figure it out :s

What's GBR? 

bizfromqc

Quote from: freshfishies on March 16, 2012, 01:39:52 PM

What's GBR? 

My bad... German Blue Ram. Mikrogeophagus ramirezi.

daworldisblack

Quote from: freshfishies on March 16, 2012, 01:39:52 PM

What's GBR?  

Lol.. i was going to pull your leg and say they're Gargantuan Belching Rhinos :p Clearly Eric is no fun haha

freshfishies

hahahaha! I like that :D gargantuan belching rhinos...hehe
aaaand I can't believe I didn't figure that out..lol! I was thinking 'something' blue ram...DUH!

bizfromqc

Quote from: freshfishies on March 16, 2012, 01:49:45 PM
gargantuan belching rhinos...hehe

I don't know if those would fit in any of my tanks though  ;)

Peekay

Quote from: bizfromqc on March 16, 2012, 01:53:09 PM
I don't know if those would fit in any of my tanks though  ;)

*shrugs*  Oh well, you'd better get another one.   ;)

bizfromqc

Tank update.

Plants are growing well. Had to trim some of the swords leaves (both parviflorus and amazonicus) because they had some brown spots and didn't look too good. I read that a lot of these plants are grown emersed and some of the leaves can melt when submersed but will grow just fine after.

The amazon sword didn't grow in height that much but there's a lot of new leaves growing from the base. The parviflorus has a crazy long sort of "runner" as tall as the plant itself that is starting to develop new leaves. I'm not quite sure how I'm supposed to propagate it (suggestions welcomed). Check out the pic of the sword, it's pretty neat.

Both bunches of Cabomba caroliniana are really growing well. Already trimmed one bunch and added the trimmings to another tank and it's almost grown back up to where I trimmed it.

On the down side, there's some green algae developing on the top part of the driftwood piece, closest to the LED light. Nothing too crazy but still a bit annoying. I'm hoping that when I get my BN pleco, he'll munch on it and make it disappear (until i figure out why I'm getting the algae in the first place).

Some pictures for your enjoyment.

daworldisblack

bizfromqc

New guy on the block added Wednesday  8)

touchofsky

He/she should keep your tank clean  :)

Lurch1

bizfromqc

Quote from: Lurch1 on March 22, 2012, 08:54:46 PM
Your tank is looking awesome!

Thank you for the kind words.

There's a big gap on the right side of the tank that i'd like to fill with a very small piece of driftwood and possibly another sword (I'm just waiting for the runner to be big enough from my other sword to snip/replant) and some E. tenellus for the foreground (if I can ever find it)  ::)

Peekay

Nice pleco!  Where did you get it? 
I'm looking for just the standard BN.