New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

20G - Apistogramma cacatuoides

Started by bizfromqc, January 13, 2012, 11:00:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bizfromqc

I had images of my tank spread throughout a couple of posts in the General Freshwater, Plants and DIY sections so I thought it would be good to put everything under the same thread here. So bare with me for the duplicate images and description. I will put all new developments to the tank here.

bizfromqc

Tank just setup.

20 gallong high, 24" long x 12" deep x 16" high
CaribSea Kon Tiki Substrate
2 x 23W 6500K CFL in Home Depot Clip-on Fixtures.
AquaClear 150 (30) Filter with Foam, Carbon and BioMax
Hydor Theo 100W Heater

4 plants added

2 x Crypts (Cryptocoryne x willisii)
1 x Black Sword (Echinodorus 'Aquartica')
1 x Windelov Fern (Microsorum pteropus 'Windelov')

bizfromqc

Changed location of heater, filter and added a DIY CO2 reaction chamber based on: http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/diy-aquarium-projects/44053-tiny-super-efficient-co2-reactor.html

bizfromqc

DIY CO2 system using 1 x 2L bottle completed.

Specifically, I used:
- 2l bottle for the generator
- 710 ml for the bubble counter/gas separator
- 2 check valves (1 between generator and bubble counter and 1 between counter and tank)
- Black silicone tubing

For the mix, I used:
- 2 cups sugar
- 3/4 tsp Lalvin EC-1118 champagne yeast
- 1 tsp baking soda

The design of the CO2 system including the bubble counter aka gas separator
http://www.qsl.net/w2wdx/aquaria/diyco2.html

The yeast mixture recipe (I added a bit more yeast because of a lil' spill... don't ask)
http://www.aquatic-eden.com/2006/09/diy-co2-recipe-duration-vs-intensity.html

bizfromqc

Added a piece of Malaysian driftwood and attached the Windelov fern to it. Also moved the crypts and sword plants around, rearranging everything.

bizfromqc

Added 2nd bottle of DIY CO2 to the system to boost up production a bit.

bizfromqc

Plants added and some rescaping.

New plants are:

2 x Hornwort (Ceratophyllum submersum)
1 x Dwarf anubias (Anubias Barteri var. nana)
1 x Alternanthera Bettzickiana (couldn't find the common name)

Current fauna:
5 x Zebra Danios

dan2x38

Very clean look! I suggest not to over fertilize for now since it is low growth right now but be prepared you should get some nice jungle like growth soon! :-)
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

exv152

Looks better with more plants. Where did you get them?
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

bizfromqc

First batch (fern, crypt and sword) from Big Al's on Innes.
Second Batch of plants from La Niche.

bizfromqc

Added some moss that Errol gave me at the last planted meeting (please enlighten me with what type it is...) to a rock with fish line and put it in the front-right of the tank, just in front of the crypts and swords. The danios seem to like it  :)

Pardon the dirty tank, it needs a good scrub...

jshchrtn

Tank looks good, I like your lay out!

bizfromqc

SUBSTRATE SWAP - PART 1

Last night I setup to replace the substrate swap in my tank with the natural stone used for pool filtration (see thread here). So out went the CaribSea Kon Tiki and in went the Natural Stone for pool filtration.

I knew it was going to be a major PITA but it was going to be worth it in the long run.

1) Unplug everything
2) Empty half the tank into spare 25G tank
3) Remove heater, filter, wood, plants, co2 reactor
4) Go Zebra Danio hunting (these little guys are fast)
5) Finish emptying tank into spare 25G tank

Whole process with seting up and all took about an hour but that also included about 30 minutes rinsing out the new substrate.

Pictures of the process attached. Pickled Danios anyone?

bizfromqc

SUBSTRATE SWAP - PART 2

With all the water gone, I was finally able to swap the substrate.

1) Remove old substrate
2) Give the tank a good scrub
3) Put new substrate in the tank

This time, I put in a lot more substrate than I did last time. I was originally using a 20lbs bag of the CaribSea   and it gave me about 1in depth all over. This time, I approximate that I used a good 35lbs, if not more, of the natural stone pool stuff, about 3/4 of the 50lbs bag. It gives me a nice 2in+ to play in now where I'll have enough room for plant roots and my eventual inhabitants to play in  :)

I then proceeded to put the stuff back in the tank. I realized that my piece of driftwood was probably too big for the footprint of the tank so I went downtown on it and sawed it in half MOUHAHAHA I now have two smaller pieces of driftwood  :)

Put the heater back in place, redid the layout, replanted the tank and filled her up.

I refilled the tank with 70% of the water that was originally in there and 30% new water since I hadn't done a water change since I originally setup the tank.

Even though I rinse the new substrate, the water is still pretty cloudy and I have a feeling it may take a coupe of days to clear up. It's slightly better this morning than it was last night so it's going to go away but how long will it take? Who knows. I've attached a FTS picture right after it was filled up and also a FTS picture from this morning, you can see it's clearer but it's got ways to go.

All and all, it was roughly a 3 hour job but I'm glad I did it. IMHO the substrate looks nicer, is deeper and the new layout give me more room for plants and eventual shelters for my coming apistos.

What do you guys/gals think?

Also, this morning, I checked the params and i got the following:

Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 0ppm
PH: 6.0-6.5

I was surprised to see the nitrates at 0ppm and was expecting to see at least some but nothing... Is this normal???

Pictures attached.

touchofsky

Are you fertilizing your tank?  If not, the plants may be using whatever nitrate is in the water.  It sounds as though you have a very light fish load, too, so your nitrate level is probably fairly low to begin with.

Also, if you add some filter floss to your filter, it will help to pick up the really fine particles and clear the water faster.

Your tank looks great so far.  Do you have a wish list of plants?

bizfromqc

Quote from: touchofsky on January 19, 2012, 10:22:07 AM
Are you fertilizing your tank?  If not, the plants may be using whatever nitrate is in the water.  It sounds as though you have a very light fish load, too, so your nitrate level is probably fairly low to begin with.

Also, if you add some filter floss to your filter, it will help to pick up the really fine particles and clear the water faster.

Your tank looks great so far.  Do you have a wish list of plants?

No fertilizing yet and a pretty low fish load. I only have 5 danios that I put in there to get the nitrogen cycle going and maybe keep as dither fish when I get the apistos. I have just done a 30% water change as well so it probably cleared some of the nitrates too. There's probably some left in the tank but not enough for my test kit to pick up. I'm using the NutraFin Mini Master Kit.

As for plants, I'd like to add some more background / low keep / low light plants, possibly another anubia or two and maybe some foreground/carpeting plants but I'll have to do some research on what I can successfully keep. Ideally I'd like to create some safe/hiding zones for the apistos (and fry if I'm lucky) so the scaping will be done with that in mind. Suggestions are welcomed.

I disconnected the DIY CO2 and will be going with a liquid carbon source until I can get a proper pressurized system. I also plan to use liquid ferts and root tabs if needed.

I'll look for some filter floss to help clear up the tank, thanks for the tip.

touchofsky

You can use stuff like quilt batting instead of floss from the aquarium store.  Looks for 100% polyester without any additives (such as flame retardant).

Peekay

The new gravel looks great!  Love the wood too. 

charlie

Quote from: bizfromqc on January 13, 2012, 11:22:33 AM
Plants added and some rescaping.

New plants are:

2 x Hornwort (Ceratophyllum submersum)
1 x Dwarf anubias (Anubias Barteri var. nana)
1 x Alternanthera Bettzickiana (couldn't find the common name)Current fauna:
5 x Zebra Danios
Keep an eye on that plant,it might not be a true aquatic plant.

bizfromqc

Quote from: Peekay on January 20, 2012, 05:59:26 PM
The new gravel looks great!  Love the wood too. 

Thanks!

I think it was way too big to begin with for a 24 x 12 surface. It's still the same volume of wood but split in half and vertical instead of horizontal... I think it looks better that way and gives the little guys more room on the tank floor.