New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

NEW 90g High Tech Planted - Work In Progress

Started by DaWolfe, January 24, 2012, 09:10:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaWolfe

Tank: 90g Hagen  48" x 24" x 16"
Substrate: mixed coloured gravel with Fluorite black and a laterite base
Light: 4x54W T5HO (2x12000k and 2x6500k) =  216W total
Filtration: Eheim 2236 (waiting for impeller replacement  ) emperor 400 Bio Wheel and Maxijet 400
CO2: Once I have all my parts in I will have a pressurised with Rhinox 5000 diffuser and Rhinox bubble counter
Heater: Rena Cal 300 watt glass heater
Water change:  50% weekly
Fertilization: nothing yet but planning EI dosing using dry ferts (trying to figure this one out right now)
Hardscape: 4x Redmoor wood pieces that I assemble to make 2 pieces and some good old rocks from the lakeside

Livestock:
8 Ottos
To come
Rasbora Hengeli
Sae
Crystal red shrimp

Plants:
Presently in the tank;
Java Fern
Bolbitis heudelotii
Anubias nana
Limnophila Aromatica
Cryptocoryne wendtii 'Green'
Blyxa japonica
Lysimachia Nummularia 'aurea'
Anacharis,
Vallisneria spiralis
Cryptocoryne wendtii 'Green'
Cryptocoryne pontederifolia
Cryptocoryne parva
Ludwigia glandulosa
Rotala Macrandra Green

Trying to find;
Anubias Coffeefolia
Didiplis diandra
Bacopa caroliniana
Vesicularia ferriei (Weeping moss)

I previously had a planted tank 2 years ago and decided to go with an Oscar tank... very smart fish I now know why they call them river dogs but never again.  I missed the planted setup and decided to come back  ;D.

That is it for now stay tuned for more updates. ;)

DaWolfe

bizfromqc

Very nice Dan, it's going to look great when it starts to grow like crazy!

Keep it up and post more pictures, pictures are good  8)

touchofsky

Good luck with your tank.  It is looking good so far and I look forward to watching its progress.

jshchrtn

Hope you update often looks like a great start!

charlie

Quote from: jshchrtn on January 25, 2012, 03:16:30 AM
Hope you update often looks like a great start!
X2 , hope to see @ our planted get together, perhaps you will get the opportunity again to say "What are you doing here" ;D ;D
wow a lot of new planted tanks making it`s presence, i`m in heaven :) loving it.
thanks for sharing.
Regards

bizfromqc

Quote from: charlie on January 25, 2012, 09:09:15 AM
X2 , hope to see @ our planted get together, perhaps you will get the opportunity again to say "What are you doing here" ;D ;D
wow a lot of new planted tanks making it`s presence, i`m in heaven :) loving it.
thanks for sharing.
Regards

Yeah, that was funny. Never expected to see a work colleague at the OVAS meeting :)

Worst part though is I thought I was becoming obsessed with all these plants lately, how is that going to help when I have someone to talk to about that every day at work  ::)

DaWolfe

That's right Biz, it will make it easy to share plants...

Thanks for the comments.  yes i will definitely be at the next plant meeting.  I missed the last plant meeting as I stumbled on this site the Monday after the meeting.

L8R

DaWolfe

I am getting my re certified and full Co2 canister by the end of this week and FINALLY got my bubble counter and diffuser from China.  I should have some C02 running by the weekend, it will not take long before i need to trim.

I almost forget, I am getting these plants from La Niche this week (Thursday).

Rotala macranda 'green'
Cryptocoryne pontederiifolia
Cryptocoryne parva
Cryptocoryne var. balansae
Ludwigia glandulosa
Vesicularia ferriei ($17.99 for ping ball size, for that price i will start growing this stuff and sell it back   ;)  ...)

Will post pics on the weekend.

L8R

charlie

Man on a mission  ;D
Keep up us updated & try & get that guy you met @ the meeting to get a bigger tank  ;D
Errol

DaWolfe

yes, I am on Biz'back for him to get a bigger tank...  not sure his wife would approve :P

BTW forgot to mention, thanks for the plants Errol, they are doing good, but I think they are missing the C02 dossing, they should get there fix this weekend  ;)

I added 5 Ottos on the weekend.  I will need to add more cleaners.  I was thinking of a few SAE and maybe 4 or 5 more Ottos.  What is a good cleaning crew a part from these guys???

thanks.

pm

DaWolfe

Hopefully it was a typo, i will see when i go to pick up.  I found it expensive 2.

charlie

Quote from: DaWolfe on January 30, 2012, 07:55:12 PM
Hopefully it was a typo, i will see when i go to pick up.  I found it expensive 2.
No typo there that is the real thing sadly.

bizfromqc

Quote from: DaWolfe on January 30, 2012, 07:29:48 PM
yes, I am on Biz'back for him to get a bigger tank...  not sure his wife would approve :P

BTW forgot to mention, thanks for the plants Errol, they are doing good, but I think they are missing the C02 dossing, they should get there fix this weekend  ;)

I added 5 Ottos on the weekend.  I will need to add more cleaners.  I was thinking of a few SAE and maybe 4 or 5 more Ottos.  What is a good cleaning crew a part from these guys???

thanks.

Bah, bigger tanks... bigger tanks... Takes finesse for the smaller tanks  :)

charlie

Quote from: bizfromqc on January 30, 2012, 08:47:29 PM
Bah, bigger tanks... bigger tanks... Takes finesse for the smaller tanks  :)
Now Eric you know you want to, do not deprive your heart`s desire.

DaWolfe

5 Ottos added last weekend (Jan 28)

CO2 up and running at 2 bubbles a second with a PH between 6-6.5, lights on for 10 hours.  Manually turning CO2 on and off  ::) (more details on my post in the plants section, comments are welcome)

Keeping a close eye on everything until I have the right CO2/lights formula

La Niche order delayed 1 week, the plane was not able to leave Singapore with my plants... :(  They should be in next week

Shopping around for a solenoid valve

Getting more and more educated around ferts, just downloaded Greg Watson Dosing guide and trying to rap my head around this.  My last tank setup, i used Florish brand liquids and found it very expensive to keep up my 90gal tank.  I will mostly go with dry ferts.  I will read the post on that when i get to that point, which should be soon i think (2 weeks).

That is it for now, no pics, will have some after I get the La Niche order in (next week if the plane makes it out...)

L8R

Peekay

What's on the plane?
And really, that's kind of mindboggling isn't it?  Plants from the other side of the world! 

DaWolfe

Quote from: Peekay on February 02, 2012, 11:02:16 PM
What's on the plane?
And really, that's kind of mindboggling isn't it?  Plants from the other side of the world! 

Yes it is mind boggling.  They have nice plants on the other side of the world....

These are the plants that are on the plane.
Ludwigia glandulosa
Bacopa caroliniana
Cryptocoryne wendtii 'green'
Cryptocoryne var. balansae,
Cryptocoryne parva,
Cryptocoryne pontederiifolia,
Vesicularia ferriei (Weeping moss)

L8R

DaWolfe

CO2 is running and all is going good so far.  Looking for a solenoid valve, tired of turning Co2 on and off all the time...  I will post in the looking 4 classifieds.

Added a CO2 indicator and bougth a new Maxijet power head 400 for some flow.

Can't wait to get my new plants 8)

L8R

bizfromqc