New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

10G - Apistogramma cf. alacrina (Rotpunkt)

Started by bizfromqc, January 30, 2012, 09:26:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peekay

Congrats on the babies!  How cool..   :)

bizfromqc

Quote from: bettabreeder on February 07, 2012, 07:33:11 AM
You got your apisto from big als? Still amazed by how vivid his colouring is. Was thinking of setting up a dwarf cichlid tank and these would be first on the priority list. I know they spawned in the 20g (just for convenience sake as I'm already responding here :P) do you test hardness or was it just the Barry white?

Cheers,

Brendan

Yes, I did get them from BA but it was a total fluke (you can read about it in my 20G thread). I was first to pick from the batch so I got (in my humble opininon) the cream of the crop, not easily, but after 15 mins of skillful net handling LOL

He was definitely the nicest looking of the batch and also swam around the tank like he was the boss too, I knew I had to have that one specifically.  Lost all his colors when we started trying to net him and when I brought him home but after a couple of days, they came back and started to pop (better than at the LFS), and his fins grew longer too.

I'm hoping that some of the surviving fry will have his nice colors, time will tell.

Never tested hardness although I'd like to know what it is because I do plan on eventually trying other apistos (more tanks? LOL)

I tell you peeps, it's the Barry White, NO ONE can resist it  8)

bettabreeder

Haha sounds good, and yea I've been following both posts :P it's just that every time I go look to pick some up they have limited selection and there are hardly any that are real eye catchers.

bizfromqc

Quote from: bettabreeder on February 07, 2012, 01:07:28 PM
Haha sounds good, and yea I've been following both posts :P it's just that every time I go look to pick some up they have limited selection and there are hardly any that are real eye catchers.

Tell you what... If all goes to plan, I may have a nice colorful pair for you in a couple of months LOL

bettabreeder

bizfromqc

Little update on my small tank housing the male apistogramma cacatuoides and 2 zebra danios. Everyone is getting along real well and the male seems pretty comfy in there. I don't know if its the NLS pellets I give him or not but his fins just popped with colors and grew quite a bit. He's a real beauty (well, how can I say otherwise, he's my boy  :))

I've been trying to get a snap of him while he's flaring up his fins but I'm too slow on the trigger, I think he's messing with me. In any case, here's a couple of pics of him.

bettabreeder

Why your fry grow out I'll definitely buy a group :P he's one of the best cockatoo's I've seen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

touchofsky

Peekay

Wow!  He's spectacular! 
Great photos too.

DaWolfe

Quote from: bizfromqc on February 16, 2012, 10:57:06 PM
Little update on my small tank housing the male apistogramma cacatuoides and 2 zebra danios. Everyone is getting along real well and the male seems pretty comfy in there. I don't know if its the NLS pellets I give him or not but his fins just popped with colors and grew quite a bit. He's a real beauty (well, how can I say otherwise, he's my boy  :))

I've been trying to get a snap of him while he's flaring up his fins but I'm too slow on the trigger, I think he's messing with me. In any case, here's a couple of pics of him.

Daddy is looking great!! ;)

charlie

Quote from: DaWolfe on February 20, 2012, 08:34:45 PM
Daddy is looking great!! ;)
I agree, he is making me want to keep a pair again. ;)

bizfromqc

Quote from: charlie on February 20, 2012, 08:37:53 PM
I agree, he is making me want to keep a pair again. ;)

The pictures will keep on coming, you guys will be wanting those bad boys in no time  ;)

bettabreeder

bizfromqc

New tenants in the 10G tank.

Grabbed a pair of wild caught Apistogramma sp. rotpunkt at the giant auction and needed a cycled tank for them. So out went the male Apistogramma cacatuoides and in comes the new pair (after acclimation).

I had a spare 10G running ready to go with a sponge filter, substrate and heater. Turns out I had set the temp to the same as my other 10G so after checking the params to make sure the tank was OK, it was a pretty straight forward move for the little guy.

I kept the danios in with the new pair as dithers and they seem to be doing their job. The male appears to be a lot less shy than the female. I saw her a couple of times hanging out in the java fern but later on she was gone, couldn't see her again. I think she might be hiding in the coconut shell.

I'll try to snap some pics of the new pair of fish when they get settled in. Until then, you can see the new (temporary home) of the male Apistogrammma cacatuoides. He's still a bit stressed out but he'll settle in just fine. Gave him a coconut shell for some privacy and he was hiding in there this morning. You'll also notice (who wouldn't) a nice big Vallisneria spiralis "tiger" in there that I originally bought for the SA Community tank but moved because it turns out it originates from Asia (DOH! I thought the "Tiger" variety was an Americana but it's not  ::))

I should rename this thread now since the tank serves a new purpose but I have no idea how to do it.

touchofsky

You sure are having fun with your apistos!

Looking forward to pics of your new arrivals.

Peekay

Looking forward to seeing the new apistos! 

To change the title, go to your original post (top of the thread!) and you can edit it there.

bettabreeder

Would love to see some pics. I sadly missed the auction due to work but I might've picked up some apistos had I been there...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bizfromqc

Here they are. They are extremely shy and I'm going to have to sharpen my ninja skills to take better snaps of them. But for now, here are the best pics i could get.

The picture of the male was taken with the flash on because it was the only way I could freeze him and picture of the female was taken without the flash when she was resting/blending in on a pile of rocks. The male's blue coloration on his cheeks look a lot nicer than they do on the photo, similarly to the blue sheen German Blue Rams have.

One fun fact about the female is the she changes colors/patterns in a split second. In the picture attached, she looks really dark with stripes (both horizontal and vertical) when she was resting on the rock but as soon as she started swimming away, she got lighter again and looking a lot more like the male.

I don't know if she was stressed out or not but it's amazing how quickly it can change.

Hopefully they'll warm up and I can take better pics later on.

First picture = Female
Second picture = Male
Third picture = Male taking a peek out of his hiding spot (coconut cave)

Eric

touchofsky

Good pictures of elusive fish  :)  Interesting about the quick colour change. 

fischkopp

Looks like you got yourself a nice pair pair of apisto's. I do like the coloration on the male. Should have raised my arm too. But then again, I had already trouble finding a tank for the norberti's I got. You almost need a new tank for any new one you get ...
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031