New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

10G - Apistogramma cf. alacrina (Rotpunkt)

Started by bizfromqc, January 30, 2012, 09:26:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bizfromqc

Quote from: fischkopp on March 07, 2012, 10:20:52 AM
Looks like you got yourself a nice pair pair of apisto's. I do like the coloration on the male. Should have raised my arm too. But then again, I had already trouble finding a tank for the norberti's I got. You almost need a new tank for any new one you get ...

I'm glad you didn't, I got the pair for a shocking 8$  ;D There was 2 pairs up for auction but I didn't get to see who walked away with the other one (the other pair sold for almost twice what I pair for mine IIRC).

I wasn't planning on getting a new pair but I couldn't resist after failing to get the A. norberti (hum hum) pair. Sometimes I dream of a wall full of 10/15G with 20 different kind of apistos LOL

This is my first WC pair so it will be interesting to see if I can get winning conditions for them to breed.

bizfromqc

FYI.

I was told by Mike Wise from apistogramma.com that the correct naming of the rotpunkt is Apistogramma cf. alacrina (Rotpunkt). Identification number A106.

I renamed the thread to reflect the change in the scientific name.

bizfromqc

Some updated pictures of the tank and fish.

Both male and female apistos we're really shy at the beginning and would hide at the slightest movement in front of the tank. I've since then added danios to act as dither and that seems to have helped them settle in. The problem now is that the male is not tolerating the female AT ALL. He's claimed the coco-hut as his own and that's his favourite hang-out spot. The female will hang-ouf in the java fern, behind the driftwood and sometimes behind the heater when the male chases her around. All I can say is that there's no pairing going on now  :(

In any case, I might switch to a slower moving dither fish because the danios are a bit too intense to my liking, these guys just don't EVER rest LOL.

I wasn't able to take pics of the female when I took the camera out but the male didn't mind so maybe next time I'll have better luck. I rearranged the tank a couple of weeks ago right after the giant auction and never posted pics so it was time for an update.

(Don't mind the algae, It's been on that fern for the longest time, I've just been too lazy to take it out and clean it but there's no new algae growth at least)

Eric

touchofsky

Nice pictures, Eric.  I have found that my pair of kribs (that have never produced any fry for me), go through various stages of liking or disliking each other.  They have never hurt each other, so I don't worry too much about it.

bizfromqc

Major update.

Tank has been torn down. I need the spot in the living room for the other (20G) tank. This tank will be re-purposed as a grow-out tank for the A. cacatuoides juvies.

Pair has been put up for sale in the classifieds.

Eric