New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

20g re-set up

Started by bettabreeder, February 12, 2012, 08:46:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bettabreeder

Well since I had some free time on my hands today I cleaned out some of the plants in my 10g, cleaned my 20g and re-aquascaped and this is the final product. Feedback is encouraged :)

Peekay

Totally different! 

I like all the rock, and it shows promise to look awesome as it grows in!

bizfromqc

Looking pretty good!
Is that a coconut shell at the bottom left?

Are you planning on adding a background to the tank? Would hide the wires dangling in the back and make a nice contract with the tank contents (plants, rock, etc..)

Good job  :)

charlie

Looking good bud.
I agree with Biz on the background.

touchofsky

Nice!  Your rockpile looks very natural.  :)

bettabreeder

Thanks guys! Biz, yes that is a coconut shell. I actually have four of them in there. And yes a background will be added probably after valentines day as I have to take the little lady out for dinner :P

charlie

Quote from: bettabreeder on February 13, 2012, 10:39:04 AM
Thanks guys! Biz, yes that is a coconut shell. I actually have four of them in there. And yes a background will be added probably after valentines day as I have to take the little lady out for dinner :P
Put on a red back ground & cook supper @ home - winning combo  ;D

touchofsky

I have two coconut shell houses in with my albino kribs.  They only spawned once, but ate the eggs  >:(

bizfromqc

Quote from: bettabreeder on February 13, 2012, 10:39:04 AM

Nice, I am on my third boil of 4 cococunt halves right now. I plan to "moss'em" and add them either to my apisto tanks or the amazon community one (to come).

daworldisblack

Looking good! Once it grows in, it'll be rock/grass paradise!
Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!

bettabreeder

Quote from: charlie on February 13, 2012, 10:41:04 AM
Put on a red back ground & cook supper @ home - winning combo  ;D

Red background... I like the idea. And cook dinner at home is the plan. Just gotta buy groceries first then fish equipment. Mayb some kribs and a new heater.

bettabreeder

Quote from: bizfromqc on February 13, 2012, 11:27:33 AM
Nice, I am on my third boil of 4 cococunt halves right now. I plan to "moss'em" and add them either to my apisto tanks or the amazon community one (to come).

The moss on the shell is a beauty sight once it grows in. I've done it before and was impressed with the results

bizfromqc

Quote from: bettabreeder on February 13, 2012, 12:59:49 PM
The moss on the shell is a beauty sight once it grows in. I've done it before and was impressed with the results

Any tips on securing the moss to the shells apart from the usual cotton/fish line?

I've read some posts where the moss is allowed to grown emersed on the shell and you use a bowl to apply constant pressure to it. Takes weeks to set and you have to keep it moist all the time... I don't know if I have the patience for that LOL

daworldisblack

Quote from: bizfromqc on February 13, 2012, 01:28:32 PM
Any tips on securing the moss to the shells apart from the usual cotton/fish line?

I've read some posts where the moss is allowed to grown emersed on the shell and you use a bowl to apply constant pressure to it. Takes weeks to set and you have to keep it moist all the time... I don't know if I have the patience for that LOL

Get a cheap loofah/ shower-scrub and cut the string that binds it into a ball. You'll have a huge roll of plastic net/mesh that you can use to secure down the moss. Some also use the net-bags that fruits come in. Once its secure after a few weeks, just remove the netting. Hair nets and torn stocking work too apparently. Others have also just opted for safe glue but never tried myself.
Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!

bettabreeder

Glue and thread thats what I used.

bettabreeder

Well I went into petsmart to find a red background as Charlie suggested and just took a quick peek at the convicts tank. Sure enough there was a spawning couple in there soooooooooo obviously I had to get them ;P here's an update

bizfromqc

Quote from: bettabreeder on February 13, 2012, 08:21:15 PM
Well I went into petsmart to find a red background as Charlie suggested and just took a quick peek at the convicts tank. Sure enough there was a spawning couple in there soooooooooo obviously I had to get them ;P here's an update

LOL Nothing better than an impulse buy at the LFS  ;)

Image is broken for me though...

bettabreeder

Image is broken on my phone too. I'll try again later but tapatalk still needs to iron out some kinks IMO. And love impulse buys. 3$ ea at petsmart and they have spawned once I was sold

bettabreeder

Woke up this morning to find this

bizfromqc

Sweet!
That 6$ investment is already paying off  ;)

Do you have other tank mates in there or the pair only?