New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Brendan's 38g build

Started by bettabreeder, May 11, 2012, 11:30:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bettabreeder

Well the time has come and I finally stepped up to a big tank! The plan is planted community tank as right now I have to save for a paintball set up (put the old paintball gear to use). Stocking ideas are a huge school of tetras eventually (pm if you have some) the tank is a used one that held Africans before so a huge bonus is minimal cycling. Any comments and suggestions are welcomed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

daworldisblack

Can't wait to see how this turns out!
Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!

exv152

Unless you have a filter running ready to use, you'll have to go through a regular cycle period. Nice choice of tank, I just helped a friend setup the same tank last weekend, it has a nice 36" width which is nice for a display tank. Keep us updated.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

touchofsky

Congratulations on your step up to a larger tank  :)  This was my first larger tank, too, and it is a really nice size for aquascaping.  I am looking forward to seeing what you do with it!

bettabreeder

Thanks guys! and exv152, yes I have a well established filter on it but i might go canister route as the emperor 400 I have on it is extremely loud. Possible plant update tonight as I move stuff from one tank to another after work

charlie

Way to go Brendan, won`t be long before another upgrade  ;)
Looking forward to the updates.
Errol

touchofsky

The Emperor shouldn't be really loud, what kind of noise is it making?

bettabreeder

Sounds like the impeller is loose. I googled it and they said its a malfunction with the uptake..? I took it apart, looked, put everything back together, and it wasn't taking any water up. Then added even more water to it and the loud noises started again. So before work I took it off and put on my tetra whisper30 and Hagen 20. I'll take another look when I get home but I was thinking along the EHEIM canister route

exv152

Quote from: bettabreeder on May 12, 2012, 02:59:50 PM
Sounds like the impeller is loose. I googled it and they said its a malfunction with the uptake..? I took it apart, looked, put everything back together, and it wasn't taking any water up. Then added even more water to it and the loud noises started again. So before work I took it off and put on my tetra whisper30 and Hagen 20. I'll take another look when I get home but I was thinking along the EHEIM canister route

My friend's tank, which is identical, also has a marineland hob, and it's loud I agree. It also juts out quite far from the tank, and my friend's wife was complaining about wanting the tank closer to the wall in the living room. I suggested he get the eheim ecco 2234, which stores nicely away, does an awesome job, and easy to maintain. Also, down the road I recommended he switch the hood light if he wanted to keep more demanding plants but for now I set him up with a bunch of low maintenance plants - hygro, sagittaria, moss and anubias. And for $6 he got a bag of play sand from HD. You could probably do something similar.
;)
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

bettabreeder

That is literally my plan right down to the 7$ play sand from HD.

bizfromqc

Are you going to put a background on it?
Looks like a good start, keep it up!

Eric

bettabreeder

Quote from: bizfromqc on May 12, 2012, 05:34:56 PM
Are you going to put a background on it?
Looks like a good start, keep it up!

Eric

Of course! and thanks!

bettabreeder

So I added new lighting (Hagen glo 2 T5HO) and the filters have been running all day and this is what I have so far... Aquascaping tomorrow.

bettabreeder

So here's a pic of the first Aquascaping attempt. Probably will change soon :P

bettabreeder

So ended up going to big Al's yesterday since they had a sale on tetras and this is the result

daworldisblack

So far so good! Neons are my fav!
Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!

pm

Looking good.  Nice mix of tetras!

bettabreeder

Thanks Rah and Peter! Is cool to see them at feeding time then afterwards schooling

Nyx

It looks really good. I like the tetras you chose. They complement each other. : )
9G planted Edge w/ pure strain Endler's livebearers

bettabreeder

Thanks nyx! I am happy with the way it looks right now as I added some swords to it today. Pic update when I get home