New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

my first paludarium attempt

Started by 76brian, September 14, 2012, 01:19:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

76brian

Hey folks, I posted this over in the introductions section but I thought it might get more views here.

I'm using is a 36x13x18 tank. I built a stand, and an 8" high false bottom on one end, here's a pic with the water level about where I want it. I still have to cover the structure with fiberglass window screen at this point...

I would have gone across the long side of the tank with the false bottom, but I thought the tank was too narrow at 13" to do that, plus from where it will be situated in the house, I want it to be viewed from both sides. I'll try to make it look as good as I can but I know it's not ideal for this kind of setup.

You can see in the back right corner, I built a cage to house an internal filter (using a whisper 40i). I'll be able to remove it easily for maintenance, and will be able to cover it for more dry area. The output of the filter is about 3" above the false floor, so I have room to build a waterfall/stream kind of thing in front of the pump as well. Here's a closer view of that

Since the filter will be drawing its water through the false bottom, I've been toying with the idea of using the space under it for bio-balls or something similar for added surface area. Not sure how this will work in the long run though, so I might not do that.

I have no idea what substrate I'm going to use yet either. I'm thinking flourite probably, with a layer of moss or something on top for the land area. I might even change the structure a bit from what it is now, it might be a bit too big. I don't know what the hell I'm doing, I'm just winging it. So if anyone has any input on it, or see's potential problems, I'd love to hear it!

76brian

So here it is with some dryscape and in its almost final position. The end will be even with the end of my desk, it's viewable from both sides.

I didn't put any bio material underneath, I figured it wouldn't have been worth my while, and may have impeded flow to the filter.

I'm still playing with the layout of the rocks, and I'm pretty sure I'll be adding some more wood too. This is definitely not the spectrum of light I want either so that will also change.

I have a question, if anyone would be able to help. Should I put water in it, run the pump and let the chlorine and water clear over the weekend... and start the cycle monday? ...or should I plant it first, and then add water at that time?

Peekay

I think I would do a wet test... fill, check if the filter works as you want it to with the water at the level you want.  See if that gravel stays on the slope when the waterfall starts running.  It will be shallow enough to plant fairly easily if all that works.  (not based on experience, just thinking of what the possible issues are going to be!)

That is looking very, very cool!

exv152

Neat looking project you have there! I would say you can plant it at anytime since it's a paludarium the water level is quite low so planting is easy. I would fill it with dechlorinated water and let the system run for a few days. Are you adding a heater under the slope? It would be a good place to put it given it'll be hidden and in an are with good flow.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

Nerine

55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

bettabreeder

Awesome looking! Definitely going to pay attention to how this one turns out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

76brian

Thank you all!

So I went ahead and put water in it, you're right it won't be hard to plant at all. I think a cycled tank might be better for them to start off anyways. I hope this water clears up. This is 10 minutes or so after filling. I used Flourite Dark, and I rinsed the hell out of before putting it in the tank, but it never did run 100% clear. Hopefully everything will settle and the filter will clear whatever is floating around. I have no charcoal in it, maybe I should use some?

I'm hoping I can find a nice piece of wood that will go diagonally across the surface of the water. On the sloped section I plan on using hairgrass or something simlar. The filter area is pretty ugly, but that will be covered with a top of live moss.

Quote from: exv152 on September 14, 2012, 09:06:57 AMAre you adding a heater under the slope? It would be a good place to put it given it'll be hidden and in an are with good flow.

In the pic above, you can see a heater right next to the filter. It's not plugged in yet, does anyone think it will be a problem having it that close to the filter? There should be lots of water flow there, but will it still melt the plastic filter or the plastic egg-crate? I can still put it under the surface, but I'd have to buy a new one I think. This is a Tronic 150w, which is supposed to be submersible but it has a water level line on it so I'm not sure I trust it.

Darth

they all have a water level line for where the water should not be under, so say its part in and part out you want to have it under the water at a certain level.

Amazing job so far, can't wait to see it finshed!

zoom111

Nice build, I love your style of winging it yet you know what your looking for in the final product.

The heater will not melt anything underwater, the water will act as a coolant so to speak ? Almost like holding a lighter to a water bottle, the plastic will not melt through because the water.

76brian

I picked up a new heater and hid it underneath.

There's loads of room under there. I really should have done that differently, it's just wasted space. Oh well. Good reason for a second tank later on... I can build something different ;)

So the waters been in there with 2 pumps moving it around since Friday, so it should be chlorine free by now. I'm going to add a few zebra danios tomorrow and hopefully find some established tank water and filter media to kick things into gear (anyone want to volunteer? :) )

Then I need to find a new light and I'll start adding plants. I wasn't going to use co2... but then I found this laying around...

It's got gas, it has a regulator and a little valve at the bottom... and then that piece of hose. I've never done co2 before, what else do I need? I've heard of bubble counters and diffusers but I have no idea what they are or how they work. Are they expensive? If it's going to cost a bunch of money to go that route I'll probably just skip it.

Stussi613

Even though you've let the water run for a few days I'd probably add some prime to be safe. Ottawa uses chloramine instead of chlorine in the water supply and the time to dissipate is quite a bit longer, even with carbon.  Increased ammonia is another factor since its an ammonia derivative, Prime also takes care of that.

You'll probably want to go bubble counter since you don't really have filter hoses to inject into, or even hoses to put a homemade diffuser inline.
I haz reef tanks.

76brian

Thanks, I'll add some prime too, just in case. I'm not in the city, I'm about 40 minutes out of town. There's a water tower here in this little hamlet I'm in, but I don't know if it's fed by city of Ottawa, or somewhere else, better safe than sorry though.

Jeff1192

You may find that you have a really hard time if you introduce CO2 into that style of a tank. With your waterfall you'll be out gassing a lot of CO2 and you'll probably have a hard time maintaining stable CO2 levels. With CO2 you usually want to limit the amount of surface agitation.

Jeff
17 Gallon Seapora Crystal:: Cherry shrimp and red crystal shrimp

90 Gallon:: p. acei itunji, p. elongatus chewere, p. Saulosi, cyno zebroides jalo reef

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
                        - George Orwell

charlie

Quote from: Jeff1192 on September 17, 2012, 07:19:14 AM
You may find that you have a really hard time if you introduce CO2 into that style of a tank. With your waterfall you'll be out gassing a lot of CO2 and you'll probably have a hard time maintaining stable CO2 levels. With CO2 you usually want to limit the amount of surface agitation.

Jeff
X2
In regards to what else you need as per pic. posted- a needle valve to further reduce the amount of gas delivered to the tank & a very effective way of dissolving the gas into the water column due to co 2 off gassing as Jeff mentioned & tubing, if you want to turn it off at nights a solenoid would be needed.
If it`s feasible for you - this Saturday there is a mini w/shop on CO2 & Planted tanks + several other aspects of the hobby. Also do a search on this forum i think they are a few threads on the topic
http://ovas.ca/forum/index.php?topic=54519.0
Happy fishkeeping

exv152

If you're planning on keeping low maintenance plants, there's really no need for co2. There are many plants that don't require pressurized co2 to survive and do well. Plus, there's the water fall thingy, which isn't ideal for co2, as already mentioned. If you plan on doing more delicate plants and you want to go with the co2 idea, you're gonna need:

needle valve
bubble counter
solenoid
check valve
Co2 resistant hosing
Diffuser
Good lighting
Ferts (macro and micro)
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

76brian

Thanks folks. I guess I'll forget the co2 and hang onto it for another project. I didn't realize it could be a problem in this setup.

The event on saturday, looks interesting, perhaps I'll check it out! Thanks.

Greatwhite

That's coming along very nicely... I may have a winter project planned by the end of your build. :)

Stussi613

Quote from: 76brian on September 17, 2012, 01:48:15 PM
Thanks folks. I guess I'll forget the co2 and hang onto it for another project. I didn't realize it could be a problem in this setup.

The event on saturday, looks interesting, perhaps I'll check it out! Thanks.

We'd love to have you come out!  There will be talks, a swap meet, a chance to meet other hobyists and the members of the exec...as well as a table to buy a membership and support the club. I'll be at the library table, if you make it please stop by and introduce yourself.
I haz reef tanks.

76brian

So I added 4 Zebra Danios on Monday, and I'm testing regularly. Ammonia still at 0 though.

I need a proper light fixture, so I'll definitely show up on Saturday and see what I can get my hands on. I *really* want to get some plants too, so I can start making this thing more complete, but unfortunately I have to wait for the cycle to finish :(

I'll probably buy a membership too. I'm already thinking I might have a second (maybe third!) tank before the end of this winter. I haven't kept fish in years, but even looking at this barren tank with the few fish I have, reminds me how much I miss it.

daworldisblack

You can add plants before it finishes cycling even - dont see why not. It might even help cycle if there are beneficial bacteria on the plants themselves (might be negligible amounts though).
Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!