New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

New 40 breeder

Started by 76brian, October 21, 2012, 11:44:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

exv152

Instead of barbs, have you considered other south american fish like hatchets, rummynose tetras, plecos, angel fish etc, and I would recommend cardinals over neons.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

76brian

Quote from: exv152 on October 26, 2012, 07:40:11 PM
Instead of barbs, have you considered other south american fish like hatchets, rummynose tetras, plecos, angel fish etc, and I would recommend cardinals over neons.

Yeah, the barbs were a dumb impulse buy... they were on sale somewhere and I thought they looked nice. I need to not do things like that  :-[ I really do like their color though.

I'll have to research the hatchets, they look neat. However, I saw some guys youtube video today about serpae tetras and they look awesome. His were very nice bright red and I'm kind of digging those right now... I dunno... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXcoGhyAMWg

Cardinals over neons... I know the cardinals have more color, but are neons a hardier fish though?

76brian

The water is sure taking it's sweet time to clear... But anyways, the legs were removed from the light... haha

Looking right... I'm trying to hold down some java moss on that log with small rocks, I forgot to tie it on before I put the log in... and I don't want to take it out now and make a mess of everything.

Looking left...

Through the right side...

daworldisblack

Looks like a good start so far! :)
Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!

sas

Very nice, it'll be even better when your plants fill in.
Patience ;D.
A note on hatchets, they are known jumpers so a cover
on your tank would be a must.

76brian

Quote from: sas on October 27, 2012, 01:01:48 PM
Very nice, it'll be even better when your plants fill in.
Patience ;D.
A note on hatchets, they are known jumpers so a cover
on your tank would be a must.

Thanks :) Patience is a concept I never quite grasped, hoping this hobby will help me learn :D

I want emergent plants... so hatchets are out if I need a cover... They're goofy looking anyways :P

daworldisblack

Managed to get some Ludwigia Repens 'Rubin'? Saw some at Big Al's west today as well :)

76brian

Quote from: daworldisblack on October 29, 2012, 01:00:23 AM
Managed to get some Ludwigia Repens 'Rubin'? Saw some at Big Al's west today as well :)

Ahhh! I'm never out in the west end... petsmart had some but I ended up getting a bunch of nicer stuff thanks to PM  :)

daworldisblack

Quote from: 76brian on October 29, 2012, 11:09:45 AM

Ahhh! I'm never out in the west end... petsmart had some but I ended up getting a bunch of nicer stuff thanks to PM  :)

What are you crying about then?! Yeah Peter!

dbl_dbl

Tank looks great, good plant choices.

I feel like a Nannostomus mortenthaleri "Red Pencilfish" shoal would make a great tankmate for the Dwarf Cichlids you are planning as they come from similar water conditions and they leave eggs and fry alone.

76brian

So this is a good case for a fishless cycle, and to never put anything in your tank that you don't want to permanently reside there.

I got the barbs out and into my other tank, and will replace them with a school of serpae tetras, but I have to get this annoying lone zebra danio out. He is really disturbing the mellow little glowlight tetras, and me too.

I've tried the bottle trap, I've tried leaving food in the net, I've tried just all out aggression lol... surely I'm smarter than one (REALLY FAST) little fish?

EDIT: GOT HIM!

76brian

Peekay

Quote from: daworldisblack on October 29, 2012, 12:57:59 PM
What are you crying about then?! Yeah Peter!

Exactly.  His is far more robust than what Petsmart will sell you.

76brian

dbl_dbl

I'm gonna start crying if we don't get some new pics soon

76brian

I might cry because the repens all melted after I planted it, except for one lone stem :(

No pics right now, tank looks like crap...extra heater, big airstone in the middle due to the ich outbreak...I'll take a new pic or two after it's all gone.

Some of the other plants have really started to fill in nicely. The crypts have new leaves every day it seems, the wisteria would grow in a dark closet so it's just out of control, the tiger lotus has 2 new leaves already, the stargrass is very vibrant and getting pretty thick. Other parts I'm not so happy about. The vals and sag look like they haven't grown at all... moving pretty slow there... but will make the biggest difference when they finally fill in.

76brian

not the best pic but it's all I felt like doing  ;D

Peekay

It looks great!   Love the lotus leaves floating there, and it's all so clean and green.
Nice work.

lucius

Looks great.  8)  I have glowlights also and thought about adding some neons but ended up just adding to the school instead.

fischkopp

Starting to come together!
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031