New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Fixing tank seals

Started by 101DalmatianMollies, October 06, 2014, 05:22:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

101DalmatianMollies

Hi there!

How easy to difficult is it to repair tank seals if there is a leak in the tank?

Thanks! :D

daworldisblack

It depends on the size of the tank. It can be a long process if you intend to re-seal all the seams. You'd have to remove all the silicone on there currently and it could take a little time and elbow grease there. Its worth it if its a big tank though!

Otherwise, its a matter of removing old silicone, taping to keep the silicone job clean, applying an even bead around the seams, smoothing it out and removing the tape before the silicone hardens and then letting the silicone cure, before a leak test. Removal of the old silicone is the most time-consuming and patience-testing step.
Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!

101DalmatianMollies

Quote from: daworldisblack on October 06, 2014, 05:36:02 PM
It depends on the size of the tank. It can be a long process if you intend to re-seal all the seams. You'd have to remove all the silicone on there currently and it could take a little time and elbow grease there. Its worth it if its a big tank though!

What if it's a 20gal tank? :D

Herstead

Then the number of hours spent fixing is not worth going and buying a new 20gal.

- Jonathan
Current Set-Up: Mixed Reef 250g DT + 100g in Sump
Inhabitants: 2 Snowflake Clowns, 8 Bimac Anthias, 2 Mandarin Dragonets, Vigratus Rabbit Fish, Flame Angel, Purple Chromis, Atlantic Blue Tang, Sailfin Tang and lots of inverts.
Next Step: Set up controller and ATO. Really need to do this.

lucius

I would do it.  Just watch a few You Tube videos and make sure you buy the right silicone also.  

http://albertaaquatica.com/?showtopic=36149

Mike L

Hey all
I'm as cheap as you can find but as I said on your other post, consider the etching, cleaning, buying, sealant and your time. It was mentioned that a new tank is $25.00. and the one thing you should not go cheap on is the tank.
Mike

101DalmatianMollies

Being new to the vast world this hobby can be I am very appreciative of everyone's input and standpoint.

I like to recycle, but I feel at the moment unless I go out and get a few more older tanks that might need some repair, than fixing this one may not be worth my time - granted that is up to me to determine :). Other thing too is if I ever want to fix a larger tank, that would be considered worth fixing, it might be a good idea to learn how on a smaller tank, that is less awkward, and if it breaks during the process, not as sad.

I do appreciate the cost aspect too, if the silicone to fix the seals is half the price of a new 20 gallon then for sure it isn't worth it. I didn't pay anything for the tank and everything I got, I'm a bit keen on fixing it up because I feel that would be a project I'd be proud of in the end. Plus I want to do more with this hobby, but finding quality used tanks is difficult, and brand new with all the fixins is a bit out of my budget.

Either way! Thank you so much for your advice! I appreciate every bit of it.

lucius

Quote from: 101DalmatianMollies on October 07, 2014, 07:02:23 AMI like to recycle, but I feel at the moment unless I go out and get a few more older tanks that might need some repair, than fixing this one may not be worth my time - granted that is up to me to determine :). Other thing too is if I ever want to fix a larger tank, that would be considered worth fixing, it might be a good idea to learn how on a smaller tank, that is less awkward, and if it breaks during the process, not as sad.

This is why I resealed my 20 gallon tank which is now sitting empty on my lower shelf.  I went through two tubes of caulking as I totally mucked up on the first try.  However, my 20 gallon tank is from the 70s with the silver trim so I thought it was worth keeping.

If a tube of caulking costs about $8, you can always try to resell your current 20 gallon for $10 and make your money back.  :)

Edit - Check out Angelfins.ca.  They sell a 20 gallon high for $36 and a 20 gallon long for $45.
http://angelfins.ca/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=28215&sort=20a&page=2

101DalmatianMollies

Quote from: lucius on October 07, 2014, 08:21:45 AM
This is why I resealed my 20 gallon tank which is now sitting empty on my lower shelf.  I went through two tubes of caulking as I totally mucked up on the first try.  However, my 20 gallon tank is from the 70s with the silver trim so I thought it was worth keeping.

If a tube of caulking costs about $8, you can always try to resell your current 20 gallon for $10 and make your money back.  :)

I mean worse case if I muck it up and it still leaks (granted Im still not 100% sure it's actually even leaking now tbh) I can use it to grow plants (non-aquatic) :D

lucius

Add pink food colouring or something, the leak will be more easier to see.

101DalmatianMollies

Quote from: lucius on October 07, 2014, 10:04:38 PM
Add pink food colouring or something, the leak will be more easier to see.

Ooh that's a thought! Will try!

lucius

BA's sells a 20 gallon high for $30 and a 20 gallon long for $37.

101DalmatianMollies

Yeah I've looked at both. The 20 gal I've been talking about does hold water. It's been full since Sunday and hasn't leaked at all. So I'm pretty comfortable with it since I was told I should see something in 24 - 48 hours.

lucius

I was at Wal-Mart today and they had these inserts, $4.  Not sure if this is all you need, couldn't find any foam though.

http://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/elite-carbon-cartridge-for-elite-hush-power-filter-20-2-pack/6000062373598

101DalmatianMollies

Those are them! Which Walmart? If push comes to shove I can either cut foam, or order off that online store I found with them.

lucius

Orleans.  Do I get a finders fee?  ;D

101DalmatianMollies

LOL if only I didn't have to cross the city! I'm in Nepean lol

missavgp

Just order them online from Walmart. there is no shipping fee and they will be delivered to your door. It's how my mother buys things for the kids since she is in NB.
Mom of boys. Less drama than girls, but harder to keep alive

neon1423

I've resealed a number of tanks, including my fathers 55 gallon. The work isn't hard, there just a lot of work involed. I do reccomend doing your reaserch ahead of time and know your steps rather then be searching for what to do now, while your silicon is drying. You are looking at a good days work replacing larger tanks. The 55 i did took a weekend.

Also most products will say 12-24 hours drying time. I usually let my tanks dry for 48 hours before testing with water. and when you do test with water, test outside or in a bath tub, just in case.

101DalmatianMollies

Quote from: neon1423 on October 13, 2014, 01:42:22 PM
I've resealed a number of tanks, including my fathers 55 gallon. The work isn't hard, there just a lot of work involed. I do reccomend doing your reaserch ahead of time and know your steps rather then be searching for what to do now, while your silicon is drying. You are looking at a good days work replacing larger tanks. The 55 i did took a weekend.

Also most products will say 12-24 hours drying time. I usually let my tanks dry for 48 hours before testing with water. and when you do test with water, test outside or in a bath tub, just in case.

This 20 gallon has black silicone for the seals. It held water for 7 days, then I emptied it. I'm trying to clean out some of the hard water scale before setting it up. However when I was running my fingers along the seals they do lift slightly and the edges. Is that something to be concerned about? Should I just go ahead and reseal it?