New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Planted 180 gallon

Started by drukus, September 28, 2018, 09:40:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drukus

Hello OVAS,

Here is the tank I have been working on.

The pictures are not very good, and I don't have a lot of details right now, but I wanted to get this post started.

180 gallon
Planted (started with DSM, ~2+ months)
Still stocking, peaceful community

More information to come,
drukus

drukus

drukus

Last one for today...

Gilbotron

Looks fantastic! Thanks for sharing.

I really like the jungle on the left with the beach on the right....  Makes for a really nice natural looking landscape and the stones fit in really well. 

Keep us posted on progress and stocking please!

drukus

Will do! Thanks for the feedback.

My previous tank was densely planted and although I enjoyed it, most of my family did not. They found it too dark and it was difficult to enjoy the fish.

For this tank I am trying for a compromise and going from 29g to 180g gives me a lot more options.

I am hoping to carpet the right while leaving the center a sandy beach. The substrate is sand capped soil but the area in the center is sand only. I am hoping to leverage that to limit growth in that area.

All the rocks are local (within ~200 km).

Plants are Pearl weed, monte carlo, Star grass, some Anubias and Buce.

Right now stocking is:
7 Ornate Tetra (Hyphessobrycon bentosi)
3 BN Pleco
2 Neon Tetras (refugees from a different tank
2 female Betta
2 Hoplo cats
1 blue Opaline Gourami
6 bronze Corys

and 6 Endlers in the refugium.

I am looking to add a few more Neons so they feel more comfortable, get some Rainbows and either add to the Tetra shoal or introduce a shoal of something else (e.g. Harlequin rasbora).

matttimms49

Really enjoying the look of this tank :) and that's quite the upgrade in size, loads of space to play with. I would definitely go for a large school of neons. They will look awesome schooling. :)

What's your ideas for plants for the carpet?

drukus

I am thinking of dwarf Sag or S Repens.

You are right, a school of Neon might look nice too.

matttimms49

Nice dwarf sag is a great plant. Depending on how patient you are willing to be I could possibly trade you a few plantlets. I'm also trying to get a carpet going though :)

drukus

drukus

... I stand corrected. I got a few this weekend to see how well they do.

I guess I am not as patient as I though...

matttimms49

Ah sorry, I should have sent you a pm. Where did you pick some up from in the end?

drukus