New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Many Cool Parts... ROBOTSHOP.CA

Started by Hookup, January 24, 2010, 12:44:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

salvini55

You could deff build a light lifter from that site

Canoe

how about something that crawls around on the outside of the tank, dragging a magnetically coupled brush around inside the tank?

Vincenzo.

Dope FIND Tim. i think ima get on that LED i originally wanted.

Funkmotor

Quote from: Canoe on January 24, 2010, 08:32:19 PM
how about something that crawls around on the outside of the tank, dragging a magnetically coupled brush around inside the tank?

Already working on it...but not as easy as it might first sound.

Hookup

Quote from: Funkmotor on January 24, 2010, 09:31:19 PM

Tremendously cool...

salvini55

I thought about the same thing a few months back. i would buy it lol .

Bees

Does anyone know how to waterproof a Roomba so I can clean my gravel?

Funkmotor

Quote from: salvini55 on January 24, 2010, 10:46:21 PM
      I thought about the same thing a few months back. i would buy it lol .

If something that could do this existed, and could clean three sides of a tank, parking itself in a predetermined spot during viewing hours - how much would you realistically be willing to pay for it?

Not to hijack the thread, but it is about cool stuff to do with robots.

Canoe

Quote from: Funkmotor on January 24, 2010, 09:31:19 PM

I know. I gave upon the stepper motor or servo driven rails outside the tank for moving the mag brush around. Too unsightly. Too many parts (cost, maintenance, failure).

I figure a behaviour based bot (like the Rooombas) isn't even needed. A simple sensor array to detect the edge should be fine, with random turns, multiple passes. Big rubber wheels for grip and noise damping. Force of the magnet adheres it to the glass. Slow speed is fine - let it creep around. Not suitable for suppliers with their multiple tanks (too slow), but fine for home use. Rechargeable, removable (user replaceable) NiMH - no need to wait for it to charge, swap out the battery for another one. Light. Geared for slow drive, small motor, low current, small battery, low weight. Have it run on a timer (simple pot for an RC on a 555/556 timer - use the other side or another 556 for current pulsing the motor) - you learn what to set it to for your tank's front vs. side.

Keeping it simple, it wouldn't do completely to the edge, but the bulk of the area would be done, so a quick hand swipe for the edges I can tolerate. With reduced force for a magnetic coupling to the inside-tank brush (the motor in the bot has to be able to move it), it wouldn't be able to clean a dirty surface, but it should be able to keep a clean surface clean. Once it's done one surface, move it and the inside brush to the next surface. Once surface a day while you're at work?

Contains Moose

That would be a Magnetically Attracted Induction Device, commonly called a Maid.

Canoe

Quote from: Contains Moose on January 26, 2010, 01:05:39 AM
That would be a Magnetically Attracted Induction Device, commonly called a Maid.

Everything old is new again?