New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

November Meeting

Started by Fishnut, November 09, 2011, 10:23:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fishnut

Our November General Meeting will be held on Monday, November 28 starting at 7:00pm at J.A. Dulude Arena.

Our main speaker is going to be Matt Smith.  He is the Aquatic Invasive Species Outreach Liaison at Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters.  Matt will be giving an interesting presentation on the impact that these invasive species have on the environment, how to recognize invasive species and what to do if you find some!

I also have a fabulous surprise for the club!  During a recent trip t Toronto, I bought something for all of our members to enjoy.  I'll unveil it at the meeting!!  

See you there!

Fishnut

I also wanted to mention that we got some AMAZING donations from The United Pet group (Marineland, Tetra, Jungle, etc).  One of them just might be featured as a door prize at the meeting!!
:)

rockgarden

I enjoyed tonight's meeting. Perhaps that was because my first job after graduating from University forty years ago involved working at the DFO research building in Winnipeg and the subject of my efforts was a study of the problems of "alien" , a.k.a. U.S., species crossing the border via the Red River drainage system and possibly bringing problems all the way from the Mississippi River drainage system.  The two systems have head waters in the area of Minneapolis. The issues haven't changed, just the species!

Selling some Cherry Barbs and a couple of clumps of moss helped pay for the gas 8) and getting three nice Swordtails in return was a bonus.  My thanks to the executive for agreeing to the mini mini auction for those of us who brought stuff not realizing that there wasn't going to be an auction.  Thanks also to all of those who gave me ideas for the use of my four glass walls  :).

On topic but not local: take a look at the image of the Vermiculated Sailfion Catfish in my blog: http://www.megapixeltravel.com/2011/02/cycling-in-florida-blue-springs-state-park/.  It is considered to be a terrible pest in the Central Florida area and is thought to have come to the USA through the aquarium trade.  Looks much like a large pleco.  BTW if you happen to be near that area of Florida, the variety of fish swimming in the clear spring water is just amazing. Better shots of the manatee in this blog entry: http://www.megapixeltravel.com/2011/02/cycling-in-florida-manatee-and-scrub-jays/  The Manatee are equally amazing if you haven't seen them up close before.

charlie

It was another great meeting the only blip /disappointment is that the speaker did not have a bit more time, to this end i would suggest we make an effort to start on time & that the show & tell segment be strictly held  to it`s 5 min allocation, perhaps a cheap timer from the dollar store programed for 5 mins when the show & tell member takes the floor could serve as a gentle reminder to the member that his time is up & make way for the feature speaker as opposed to becoming the main speaker, also restricting questions until  the end might better serve , since it`s both distracting at times & as experienced last night can easily side track the presentation down another path thereby eating up valuable time.
Regards
Please accept this as constructive criticism as it`s intended to be.

Fishnut

Thanks rockgarden and charlie :)  

I agree that we are going to have to figure out a way to keep our show and tells to the allocated 5 minutes :)

I wanted to ask...did everyone find the auction to be a good speed?  I was kind of rushing through because of the time, but I got a complement on how fast it went.

rockgarden

Fishnut - You already know that I think you did great  8) although perhaps you should have waited five minutes for higher bids to come forward for my moss and cherry barbs!!!!! After that you could have sped up for that other guy's cherry barbs!!! Just kidding, Heinz.   The three Swords I bought are doing just fine, too.