New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Opinion on stocking tank

Started by blacksilverado, February 12, 2011, 07:52:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blacksilverado

As you know I have a 120 gallon tank. Probably have about 20 to 25 Africans in there from 2 inch up to 6 inch. Mostly on the smaller side, average is about 3.5

How many fish could I potentially stock my tank with? I have overkill filtration so I am not worried about that.

Brent Shaver

I have about 33 in my 110.  The more fish the more water changes and water tests.  I like a tank that is full so worth the work.

blacksilverado

Upon further checking I have about 35 ish. With plenty  of room to add.  I lost my Taiwan reef Cichlid and a lithobates peacock the other night. So I need to pick uP some more. Frontosias and cobalt blues perhaps?

I have too much yellow and orange, I need different colors. Suggestions?

Saltcreep

Quote from: blacksilverado on February 12, 2011, 08:17:58 PM
Upon further checking I have about 35 ish. With plenty  of room to add.  I lost my Taiwan reef Cichlid and a lithobates peacock the other night. So I need to pick uP some more. Frontosias and cobalt blues perhaps?

I have too much yellow and orange, I need different colors. Suggestions?

How did you lose them? Any chance of water issues with two deaths like that? If it were me, I'd be looking at a lot of things before I picked up some more.

blacksilverado

Something about one jumped out of the tote they were in, the other was probably stressed.
I dident notice the jumper slipped through the small opening I had on the lidside until after I got back from putting my son to bed. " was changing substrate, cloudier is a pita to get completely out" water is fine and parameters are optimal.

taim_30

I have 32 in my 120g but that's with weekly water changes and major overfiltering. 
125 gallon: Labidochromis Caeruleus, Metriaclima Estherae (Blue x Red), Labeotropheus Trewavasae Chilumba,  Pseudotropheus Acei Itungi, Pseudotropheus Elongatus Mpanga, Melanochromis Perileucos,  Pseudotropheus Perspicax

75 gallon: Pseudotropheus Kingsizei, Metriaclima Estherae, Pseudotropheus Elongatus Mpanga,  Pseudotropheus Flavus, Melanochromis Vermivorus, Petrotilapia Chitimba, Pseudotropheus Polit

Currently breeding: Pseudotropheus Kingsizei,  Pseudotropheus Flavus, Metriaclima Estherae, Labidochromis Caeruleus, Labeotropheus Trewavase Chilumba, Melanochromis Perileucos

bitterman

Let your setup stabilize for a bit and test regularly if you have recently lost fish.

With Malawi's Frontosa are not a good tank mate. Most often the Frontosa will get stressed or not eat correctly as they are a much more dociles and layed back fish. Also when they get big say 8-10" (The get to about 18" max)  they can start eating other fish in the tank.  They don't normally hunt them down.. they are an opportunistic predator and if it goes in front of there mouth, they might try to eat it especially if they are not getting enough food. In the wild Frontosa like on cyps. they wait till they are sleeping and stealthily sneak up and the cyps and make a meal out of them.

Bruce

FishBuddy

I have a 72 gallon and for a long time, had over 60 fish in it.  I was running the tank with a Fluval 404 and Rena XP3.  Also, WWC is massive; approx. 70-80%.  In the summer, I often go down to 90% as their metabolism increase due to the increase water temperature.  I have to say that so far, I had great success with it (knock on wood :) )  The fish especially enjoyed a massive WC with a slightly lower temperature (simulates rain) and very often, it puts them into spawning mood.

[li]72 gal bow: various exotic cichlids
    [/li]

bitterman

John's tank is very nice. I also agree water changes are really needed with an over stalked tank. The higher the stocking you can maintain within reason normally the less aggression.

I find entertaining is a group of 10-12 Synodontis multipunctatus or Synodontis petricola in a good sized tank. They do best in groups of 6+ fish.

Calvus and Comps are also very entertaining. It depends if you are willing to mix lakes or not.

I would over filter and don't feed to heavy. That can cause water quality issue for heavily stocked tanks. The other thing to keep in mind is a spray bar pointed up to help ensure maximum oxygen in the water.

Bruce

blacksilverado

I have a eheim 2217 and a Rena xp4 running, I should be good, also ambubbler and a maxijet with airtube and both spraybars Pointed up. Havent had a problem yet.

KarEn

Quote from: FishBuddy on February 21, 2011, 10:36:42 AM
I have a 72 gallon and for a long time, had over 60 fish in it. 

??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? 60 fish in 70 gallon tank? Holly...molly...   I have 18 cichlids in my 120 tank and thinking it's over populated. 60 fish in 70 gallon reminds my a very busy market that I visited in China back in 2008....

60 fish is a lot of fish for such a small tank.
Regards,
Kar En
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
| 120 Gal Miracles Aquarium (starphire glass) Tanganyikan Cichlids |
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Cichlid Empire is built on intelligence, adaptability and a surprising degree of parental care for their young.