New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

kribensis and Discus put together?

Started by Raygurl, June 08, 2007, 03:41:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raygurl

Can i put my female Kribensis with discus?

normc

I wouldn't Discus need a temp of 29-30 C 84-86 F

april

not sure thats a good idea...kribs can chase. ithink  the high heat would get the krib..and if you use lower heat on the discus..stress. too low. get a cheap 10 gallon for your krib.

matt

I don't have any experience with discus, but I do have a few Kribs in my tanks so i'll give you my two cents about them.

One of my 25G has a breeding pair of Kribs in it, and let me tell you that none of the other fish are allowed near the bottom. They chase away my cherry barbs, gold barbs and odessa barbs.

In my other 25G, I have a male Krib that wasn't chosen to breed with by the female so I decided to put him in that tank. I thought he was going to be the shyest of the tank as he would be in there with yellow labs, blue johanni and blue acara (which the male is twice the size of the Krib). Anyways to make a long story short, he's now the boss of that tank. Once again no one is allowed near the bottom.

sumik

Kribs are great fish and peaceful or at least not dangerously aggressive fish when not breeding or not in the breeding mood. However, when they take care of fry, then they will protect babies for long time and no size will scare them to chase potential predators away. Another aspect -- once a breeding pair has been established they will be in the breeding/parenting mood most of the time. My previous pair had the female as a caregiver and a chaser, this time the male took all the parental duties. Environmental conditions (from my experience) are not a big problem for Kribs as they will do well and will breed in tanks with higher water temperature. Clean water and good food will keep them happy. Discus is a shy fish and may not find a floor space in the tank while baby Kribs are with parents even if the tank is big (+100G). Kribs will breed in community tanks and most of the time there is no serious conflict, but the discus may be not happy there. Small tanks may amplify conflicts and each fish may show different personality (more or less aggressive).