New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

'Vinegar / muratic test' for rocks

Started by TBarb, December 17, 2004, 09:35:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TBarb

Does anyone know about this.  I think you can test rocks with vinegar for its safety in aquariums. If it fizzles then it is bad?

Has anyone done this or always gone and bought rocks?

What approach does one take to sanitize the rocks? Boils them?

dpatte

i dont buy rocks, and never actually tired the vinigar test, though I believe it works o identify some rocks whcih arent good for a tank.

You can get slate near ottawa, and granite near kingston. Search for slate and granite in these forums.

pegasus

I don't know if vinegar is strong enough, I'd use glacial acetic acid in 1:4 ration. I heard others using muratic (sp) acid (used as primer for ciment floor).

redbelly

if your worried about steralizing i have a stereo clave and can help you out for a trade or something...

dpatte

you have a clave? how big is it? Does it work by heat?

redbelly

its a stereo clave. it steralizes by heat and if you dont put your stuff in bags by steam. its basically like a giant pressure cooker. it has a central basin of water, and a large pot that sits above the water so what your steralizing doesnt sit in the water. its kinda tricky to explain i guess...
oh yeah and the pot it about 1.5 feet deap by about 1.25 feet across... about the size of a 20 L stock pot. the specs say its a 25 quart liquid capacity.