New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

!!!HELP!!! 120G Leak

Started by Super Steve, November 05, 2007, 09:02:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Super Steve

Woke up to the soothing sound of a waterfall this morning, and thought to myself, that's not right? Sure enough my 120 G was about half empty and water was pouring all over the floor. So i cleaned up the mess and managed to get all 21 of my guys into a small 10G i had lying around. Now i'm not sure what to do or how long i have to make a decision but i'm sure they won't last too long in such a small tank. I've got too many questions and not alot of time. Should i get the tank fixed?, who fixes tanks?,how reliable is a tank that has been re-sealed?, should i get rid of my fish?, how long will they last in there?, does anyone know of a place that would keep fish for a few weeks while i get my tank fixed?

Any help you guys can offer would be greatly appreciated!

beowulf

If done properly, a reasealed tank should be just as good if not better.  The main thing is you need a warm area to do it.  Do you have pictures of the leak?  THe glass is ok I guess and it is the mechanical seal that broke?

BigDaddy

If you don't have time to do it yourself, the Big Al's chains do offer tank resealing services.

CACTUS

it can be resealed. but its not an easy chore. you should really find out why! it let go? age? stand level? most good tanks can easily last 25 years [silicone] if all precautions are taken.
find out how much it will cost to fix and who's doin it.
if your good at DIY it can be down

Mettle

Also... How old is the tank, did you buy it new and is it still covered by some sort of warranty?

Good to know 'cause if you can simply get it replaced that would be fantastic.

hamstercaster

May I suggest you buy a rubbermaid container at Walmart in the meantime to give a bit more breeding room to your fish!!  Or, if you live close enought to Gatineau, I could lend you my 10g that is just sitting collecting dust right now.  You need to know that if you reseal your tank, you'll need to wait close to a week if not more to make sure the sillicone has cured.  I think you could technically wait just a couple of days and take your chances but I'd rather have it sit for at least a week and like someone else said, it's not an easy job and if you don't know what you are doing, I suggest you pay someone to do it for you or, exchange your tank if it's under warranty or fork out the big bucks and buy a new one if time is of the essence.  That's what I did this past summer when my 55 leaked.  I upgraded to a 75....  It was much easier to do for me though as 75 gallons are significantly cheaper than a 120 I gather.

Good luck and if you need my 10g, just pm me and we'll figure something out.

Super Steve

Took all the fish to Big Al's and got a store credit for 45 bucks. Probably gonna sell my Fluval FX5 and the rest of my fish stuff and turn it into a reptile tank. Less work and more importantly no worries. Thanks for the help anyways.

P.S.
If anyone knows alot about snakes, i'd like to hear some suggestions about what i can put in that tank and how big it will get ?

BigDaddy

Post a message on the OARA list.  I am sure you'll get lots of advise from the herp folks there.

http://www.ottawaherps.com/