New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Discus, Adults & babys food requirements

Started by bearmassu, November 13, 2007, 03:15:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bearmassu

And no I wouldnt recomend the flake food for baby discus if you are looking for good healthy adults ... when I had disucs we called flakes salad cause it was a good snack for them but not a good staple !
The beef heart is great for them ...blood worms ... variety in general and lots of small meals a day !!!!

succinctfish

Excellent advice.  Young discus, and any SA cichlid, need variety in their diet to grow and not be unhealthy and stunted.  Flake food is not enough for these fish, in fact I would encourage all aquarists to feed their fish a varied, quality diet.  Besides, it's a hoot to see them go after live food, then you see the fish at their most natural.

littlelil

haha,  man it sounds like captive fish get more gourmet meals than the deprived wild fish with their boring need-to-work-for live food!

I can't handle feeding live fish. I tried it a few times with my turtles and rosy red minnows. minnows or not- they are still fish and i couldn't stand to watch them suffer for so long being chased. Call me a girl, but i dont' think I could ever do that again. If it's about live food, i think i might do a quick and painless pull-them-out-of-water murder ad then feed them to the turtles... but i still need some time to get over the traumatizing experience a few months ago. *shiver*

Hmm.. i guess i'd better hold off on getting those discus til i have more time to spend on preparing their meals!

thanks for the advice!

beowulf

Live good does not mean other fish, often it is things like worms.

beowulf

borderline penalty.  Cube should have waited another half second.