New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

"How Clean is your tank?"

Started by Nerine, November 27, 2007, 08:13:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nerine

Was watching How Clean is your House and this episode they showed this lovely fish tank...maybe a 55 gal

it was DISGUSTING!!!!! it had a small amount of water in it and it was completely crusted over with dead algae and limescale. YUCK!!!!

He had some barbs, I dont know how they lived in there!!!!

They used a product like CLR to clean the inside and outside of the tank :) (of course with no fish)

The tank looks amazing now though! they decorated and refilled! I wish I could have posted before and after shots!! LOL they obviously had a professional to set it up, it's even planted and some of the plants are quite established on driftwood, it's quite lovely!

Though to let your tank fall behind in care for so long that barely any water was in it is stunning...

I'm watching another episode that has a fish tank too LOL but this one is in better shape...barely but it's in better shape!

I personally have only seen one house with a tank almost empty and fish barely alive!
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

Vizerdrix

It's unfortunate, but to many people fish are not pets, but decorations.  They don't consider that the fish can feel, that it's even alive!

I've never seen this show (I don't watch TV) but if these people are the type to let their houses get so bad that they are featured on a national broadcast, I doubt that they would learn anything from this, and as soon as the cameras are gone, everything goes back to the way it was before.

Brine

One of my friends in KWAS bought out a fish store's old 20G longs and when he was cleaning one of them out about three months later found a juvie yellow lab in less than 1/2 inch of water left in the tank. There had been no light, no heat, no filtration, no food, NOTHING for three months. He nursed it back to health and last time I spoke to him it was still alive after a few years.

Toss

75 gal - Mosquito rasbora, Bushynose pleco, RCS
9 gal - CRS
40 gal - Longfin Albino Bushynose pleco, RCS

Nerine

hehe very true!!

This had happened to my family once...we had over 40 tanks running in the house (my grandmother's house) and our basement routinely flooded and everyone blames the other person of course for forgetting the poor fish, but SOMEONE forgot a pleco in a tank or he got stuck in a decoration that was left inside the tank...we found him a few months later in sludgy water and he had grown, it scared the living daylights out of my grandmother though!!! from that day on she double checked every ornament for plecos when a tank was taken apart LOL!
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

cora

I would have to admit that there have been times were my tanks have been pretty bad... *cough* half full  :-[ but everyones good now. :D

renadia

How cruel some people are. It's to bad this show took the trouble to have the tank set up professionaly because I bet these people will not take better care of it  >:(