New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

"cookie cutter" 29 gallon with Angels

Started by RedFish, February 05, 2008, 06:53:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedFish

On the cichlid forum, they offer a sample tank if you want Angels in a 29 gallon - which I do.
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/cookie_cutter_29g.php

It says, 1 pair Angels, 8 Harlequin Rasbora, 5 cory catfish.

I would love a Koi Angel or two if that would work for me.

Currently in the planted 29 gallon I have, 5 Harlequin Rasboras & 1 hengeli rasboras, 4 agazzisi cories and an LDA08 pleco (max 3 inches length) AND 1 dwarf gourami.

So question number 1 is, I always think fish are happiest when they have a buddy, is one Angel alone as happy as two Angels together?

Q2&3 - Do you think I can put two angels in my 29 as it is now, or just one Angel, and do I need to move the dwarf gourami out or leave him in?

This is the tank that the angel(s) would go in - large driftwood in there.

kennyman

I'm sitting here right now watching angles fight over space in a four foot long tank  :(

If you get two that like each other I guess its going to work, but I don't know if they keep liking each other year after year? I got five little ones about six month ago, which schooled together as young angles do, but as they mature I have to make decisions about which ones to remove. I was under the impression that five would spread the aggression around but right now I have two Ghost Angles that Really don't want to live in the same tank together.

If you get two angles you either need to get a mated pair or hope younger ones grow to like each other.

Succintfish, our VP, has quite a bit of experience with Angles as I am sure many others here do. Hopefully someone can chime in with some better help soon.   

Fishnut

I agree.  Two angels rarely get along forever...unless they're a pair.  I have 2 who get along.  One's male and the other is female, but their first spawn was gobbled up.  I have them in a 20 gallon tank and they sometimes squabble.  When I used to breed angels, the pairs got along but I always had to watch the "love" tank...the tank of adults that I was hoping to pair off.

PrincessFish

I have one single angel in a 25g and feel badly now that he is all grown up - badly because the tank seems so small for him!  Regarding 'friends' though, he seems to be quite happy with the corys, tetras and rams who are his tankmates, although lately he has been squabbling with the male ram a wee bit.

:D

RedFish

Well hmmm, it is not sounding really positive for me to put an angel in......although not entirely negative to put just one in.....any other thoughts...Succinctfish..you out there??

Nerine

I had a pair of angels in a 55 gallon...the female killed the male. it was really sad!! they lived peacefully together for 5 years!

you could TRY to have them in a small tank...but personally I wasn't happy in a 1 bedroom apartment with my hubby hehe
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

RedFish

All right, sigh, no angels for me.   :'(

I haven't been able to keep a female dwarf gourami with my male, I've put two in and both died, I don't know if it was the fish or if the male hassled them - so that boy is on his own.

I really want to SEE some fish in my tanks, I am tired (well not really) of all the tiny little beggars that hide behind the beautiful driftwood and plants.   I thought I would at least get to see an angel swimming around.

Maybe I should just put some larger tetras in with the rasboras, or maaaaaybe, I'll just put more rasboras in and have a large herd.

Thanks for the feedback.

PrincessFish

Bolivian Rams might be an idea??  They are wonderful - quite colourful, not shy and hiding in the back, and they always come to the front of the tank looking for food anytime I go near the tank  ;D  Voracious eaters they are!  And apparently a fairly easy fish to keep in terms of parameters etc.

dan2x38

Pearl gouramis are nice... I have a male & female they get on fine... I had a male dwarf gourami and he couldn't get along with any other gourami male or female... a nasty little beggar...

Man that is a beautiful piece of driftwood!
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

RedFish

Thanks it's good to hear that I might be able to do it.   I have ac70's on the 29s, but I have thought about putting an external canister on as well, in the belief that you cannot over filter!    I can't afford that until March so this will give me some time to think it all over.

I really do love Koi Angel's, so I am probably going to try this!

Dan - I love that wonderful driftwood too, that was from OttawaDiscus.  I think the larger gouramis are hard to keep or maybe I am thinking of discus.... I will check into them!

PrincessFish - I have not had luck with German Rams, one fish I cannot seem to keep. Haven't checked out Bolivian Rams, the German Rams I was told can be sensitive and surely didn't like my params.

dan2x38

Bolivian Rams are great and not as sensitive as the Germans. I have some and love them... :) great fish! Pearl Gouramis are easy to raise you might be thinking of discus. Check out the perals lovely fish!
Voltaire:

Laura

I don't know what would be suitable, but I did a search for entries with the word Angel posted by the user *Babble* under the freshwater section.  The following may be useful

http://ovas.ca/index.php?topic=10742.0 talks about the size of tank and height required

http://ovas.ca/index.php?topic=17752.0 talks about a breeding pair and their attacks on other angels in larger tanks

You may want to do other searches by both Babblefish and Succinctfish as I believe both have posted knowledgeably a number of times on Angels.

700 gal pond - Rosy reds

RedFish

Thanks Laura,
I am understanding that some people have no problems and some people have lots of trouble with angels in a smaller tank.
Although I would love to have them, it is likely I will find something else because I like an easy aquarium.

I have been looking on-line at Pearl Gouramis and Bolivian Rams.  I am not willing to get rid of my other fish in that tank either, so that will have determine what I put in there.

I think even a school of larger tetras will help...I'll just keep looking and reading. 

I do appreciate all the feedback this thread received.

dan2x38

You could always add a big shoal of neon tetras. They are very eye catching. Plus can usually get them on sale, they aren't expensive. Get like 12-15 they'd swim around well with all the driftwood making a striking image. just a thought...
Voltaire:

RedFish

Quote from: dan2x38 on February 07, 2008, 11:43:13 PM
You could always add a big shoal of neon tetras. They are very eye catching. Plus can usually get them on sale, they aren't expensive. Get like 12-15 they'd swim around well with all the driftwood making a striking image. just a thought...

Thats what I have in my other 29 Dan!   Cardinals actually, lovely but I want something different in this one, I am sure you understand.   The other 29 has cardinals with a pair of Apisto Cac.   It is a great tank.    Perhaps a Bolivian Pair in this tank will make a nice balance with the harlequins.

kennyman

Go for a single angel. It will look nice and you will be able to see it from the other side of the room  8)