New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Tetra Whisper 100 Air Pump losing it's power

Started by cemantic, April 01, 2008, 03:36:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cemantic

100 gallon aquarium 48" x 18" x 30" deep

We have a  Tetra Whisper 100 Air Pump that has two outlets and have a 2" circular disk on one end and just a air stone in the tube of a Lustar Hydro-Sponge filter from the other outlet.  It was new last October but it is losing it's ability to keep the pressure up.  The one outlet with just the air stone if it is more then a foot deep completely stops outputting any air.  I checked all the tubes etc. and it has to be the pump.

Should these not last longer then six months?  Is this normal?  Can they be repaired or do you just throw them out and get a new one.  Bought at BA's and they are $35 for a new one.  Is it worth replacing the Diaphragm Assembly if I can get it?

I am going to see tonight if there is any sort of filter that can be cleaned.

The warranty is suppose to be two years but I'm sure you would have to mail it back and wait which means another one to replace it.

Is there a better unit then these I should look at?

Pistol_pete

I think the air pump you have has a little foam to filter the incoming air. I doubt that this would be blocked unless a big dust bunny got stuck in it. I've replaced diaphragms before and it has brough them back to life for a while but I would look at the warranty and try to get a replacement. Most things have a one year coverage but I never checked on these products.

Nerine

I've had things like that happen before, and went straight to the company and they replaced the items for me...it doesn't hurt to talk to them!
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts