New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Feeding Killifish

Started by Elariel, January 31, 2009, 01:55:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elariel

I have two golden wonder killifish (I like to call them killipigs) in one of my tank. I love them cause the add a really nice top swimming element to the tank. However, I'm starting get frustrated with them. They eat anything that moves that they can fit in their mouths. Fortunately their tank mates are all far too big.

The problem is they like snatching sinking pellets as they fall through the water. I have a small school of corycats at the same time so I drop in the pellets for my darling little corys. Even if I have just fed the Killies its in inevitable that the killies will get at least one.

Will the shrimp pellets hurt them?

Nerine

The pellets won't hurt them, if they would, they wouldn't be recommended for your tank!

I feed my cories and zamoras at night with the lights out, that way the gourami doesn't go for their food and they can eat in peace...you could give that a try. I usually have a light on in the next room so there is some light, but not a lot.
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

Fishnut

Some killies are great eaters and others are more picky.  The food that's good for your cories is fine for the killies. 

Killies are cool water fish though. Is that tank heated? It could explain their ferocious appetite. Killies that live in heated waters have a shorter life span.

Montrealguy

Fishnut noted "Killies are cool water fish though. Is that tank heated?"

That's generally true for West African killies, but golden wonders are Asian in origin and they like it hot. There are very few Asian killies, so that gets overlooked a lot. They are mini-pikes, beautiful but absolutely ravenous. If you throw in a smart car, they'll probably take it. And digest it.

They should be Aplocheilus lineatus. Once or twice in US pet stores, I've seen killies native to Florida, Fundulus chrysotus, marketed as golden wonders. Those are the perils of pet shop names. That being said, I've never seen chrysotus in a Canadian store, as much as I'd love to.

Fishnut

I didn't know that!!  Thanks Montrealguy.

Elariel

I take it this is normal killie fish behavior then.

So keep them in the heated tank then and feed the corys at night so that they actually get the food rather then greedy-guts one and two.

Thanks for the advice.

mseguin

I once got a F. chrysotus in with a shipment of feeders. Took him home, he was quite a bully, but generally ate everything as well. As said previously, feed the cories at night, they're better able to find the food in the dark than the killies