New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

'Current' tank ideas

Started by freshfishies, May 01, 2010, 02:28:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

freshfishies

We have decided to turn our 75 gallon fw into a current tank. I'm just hoping to hear some thoughts, ideas or experience with this diy project :)

ottawa_fry22

For my 75gal FW planted tank with co2, there are 2 output bars along the top, which the flow shoots down at a slight angle so that the plants get the flow of co2.  One power head at the front top left corner that is suited for a 75gal.  Might put the other small power head at the front bottom right corner. 
The plants do much better this way in my experience.  Though it was my spouse that modified it that way, which is good because we used to just have one output bar on the top side of the tank and one canister filter but its so much better with 2 of them.

The power heads might be unsightly to some people, but its good flow.  Other members might have a better arrangement, in which case, I would be interested in learning their 'current' setups. 

Hope that I got the right idea and that this helped. 
75 gal planted, t5HO, fine soft sand, powder-form hydroponic fertilizers., 5 viejita apistogramma, 1 Banjo Cat, 1 Rapheal Cat, 3 Emerald Corys, 2 black angels, 1 Bushynose Pleco, 1 molly, 5 SAEs, 2 bolivian ram, 1 kribensis.

20 gal low light sand tank, 4 white cloud mountain minnows.

fischkopp

What are you planning to keep?

There are many ways of realizing a river project, but in any case you will need one or more strong pumps/powerheads/filter; the intake and output are preferably on opposite sides of the tank to avoid turbulences. You will get the best effect if the length of the tank is much greater than its height and width.

I did this project two years ago and the tank is still running fine. I believe that project was inspired by this design, can't remember if I stumbled upon this before or after.
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

freshfishies

We're not quite sure what direction this will take our hobby to be quite honest fischkopp :-\
We've been doing some research, and found a great article in a recent magazine, that has us thinking about breeding borneo suckers.
They are doing really well in the tank for the past 3 months...there are so many ideas! It's hard to settle.
We'll basically see what manages the best with what we already have for stock, and change it around a bit if necessary.
The project we found in the mag was using plexi glass pieces to basically build a channel and have a powerhead at one end.

freshfishies

What type of plants will actually grow in a current? Any mosses?

mseguin

Oliver Lucanus just did an article on current tanks a month or 2 ago in FAMA, if you can find it he had good ideas for setup, etc.

freshfishies

Quote from: mseguin on May 01, 2010, 10:53:26 PM
Oliver Lucanus just did an article on current tanks a month or 2 ago in FAMA, if you can find it he had good ideas for setup, etc.

what's FAMA?

charlie

Quote from: freshfishies on May 02, 2010, 02:58:39 PM
what's FAMA?
Freshwater And Marine Aquarium = magazine
Regards

freshfishies

ooooh.  :-[  Didn't even clue in...that's the article I already have actually. Thanks!