New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

...Foggy tank

Started by cory, September 12, 2005, 02:23:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cory

ne help? how do i get ride of it..the tank has been up for about 2 weeks.

Nelson

Quote from: "cory"ne help? how do i get ride of it..the tank has been up for about 2 weeks.

If the "fog" is green you may have an alge bloom - if not, and its only been up for two weeks, then the tank is still cycling and it will clear.

BigDaddy

Which may also be why your GT died.

Any haze that doesn't settle after a day or two is likely an ammonia spike.

Test your water for ammonia and nitrite.  Somethings going on with the biological filter.

cory

if it it an amonia spike how will i get rid of this!

cory

i will test and post marks for amonia and nit.

cory

cory

Mettle

0 and 0.6 are VERY different readings for ammonia. 0.6 is quite high, imo. Too much variance there.

Bring a sample to SP Barrhaven. They'll test it for you for free. I'[m in tomorrow from 1-9:30 if you want to come by.

Julie

Could the tank be still cycling?

Marx

probably still cycling.. my tank is 2 days old (125g) and hazy coloured lol.. not sure if its the PC lighting lol.. anyhow im sure his 125g was to new for large fish..

luvfishies

In the meantime, do some waterchanges!

fishycanuck

Hey Cory - have a look at this link
http://groups.msn.com/LyreTailsAquarium/publishedarticlesbymembers.msnw
especially under "biochemistry 101", "the nitrogen cycle explained"
Good to know these things before adding fish.

Tim

DOn't do water changes. If this tank is only been running for 2 weeks leave it be. What is happening is called bacterial bloom. This is normal. The amonia will increase then you will see it decrease once the cycle has started. You will then see the nitrites go up and then down and finally you will have nirates. Once this happens your tank will be cycled and then start your water changes.

BigDaddy

Quote from: "Tim"DOn't do water changes. If this tank is only been running for 2 weeks leave it be. What is happening is called bacterial bloom. This is normal. The amonia will increase then you will see it decrease once the cycle has started. You will then see the nitrites go up and then down and finally you will have nirates. Once this happens your tank will be cycled and then start your water changes.

Tim... there are already fish in this tank.

Water changes are a MUST.  Your cycle will take longer.. but unless you move the fish somewhere else, you risk losing more.

Julie

What filter are you using on your tank?  You could exchange some media from an already cycled tank.  I find with the AC's using sponges from healthy already cycled tanks works very well.

Julie

cory

Julie

Is the other one cycled?  How long has it been running?

cory

one has been running on my prev 55g! i did nothing to clean it. It was perfect b4 and was cycled...my tank is looking more clear today! thank you to all the people that responded! i appreciate it the fish seem more happy now that i got rid of that Convict!