New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

"rainbow" of snails

Started by luvfishies, September 26, 2005, 11:20:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

luvfishies

Please excuse the glass, I'd been messing around in the tank, and fiddling with the new camera (left the manual at work....D'OH!)

These are literally within the first dozen pictures I have taken with the new camera. What's odd is that the picture looked blurry thru the viewfinder, but the green focus light was flashing, so I trusted the internal software and snapped away.....that's gonna take some getting used to!

rainbow of brigs

I can see body spots finally!!!!!

These are some of the snails that were sent to me by the wonderful people at applesnail after my snail tanks were pretty much wiped out a couple of months ago.

I've got 8 clutches of these, a couple of which are just about to hatch, so I should be able to start sharing some of these lovely little coloured brigs in about a month.

Again, apologies for the messy glass, but I just had to share! Finally got a reasonable closeup that wasn't blurry!

squeeker

Luvfishies!  Congrats on getting the snailiens up and running again!  They look great, and ready to eat anything!

luvfishies

squeeker, thanks~! LOL @ them ready to eat anything! I had just put some of the homemade leftover raw "dough" I'd made for the dehydrator (for snail biscuits) into the tank, and they'd glommed on like it was the first food they'd seen in weeks!

Those pics are about 1/4 of the brigs, and I've got 8 clutches, 2 of which are ready to "pop".

Got cana clutches coming out my ears, and the "new" insularums are growing like weeds. I've also got mucho Marisas that I'll have to start selling soon.

I think I only have 1 Paludosa though :(

PS: that nasty neon gravel is leftover from what was in the used 35g I got. Funny how you miss a few grains and they always end up right on top of the natural stuff, right where you can see it! Bleck.

Julie

Nice bunch of snails - very colourful.  I was amazed when I saw a massive apple snail for the first time on the weekend.
Didn't know they got that big.

Julie

luvfishies

Julie, if the applesnail you saw was a fairly large one, it was most likely a Canaliculata (aka Cana). They get way larger than these colourful ones, which are Bridgesii (Brigs). Canas look at live plants as a buffet, while brigs would rather starve than attempt to eat a healthy leaf.

Jim

I like the snails! so healthy and colourfull.

PaleoFishGirl

Great photos, actually, considering you say you don't know what you're doing ;)  I like in the bottom pic how you can see the snail's radula and internals.  Very cool!