New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

24h, and ALGAE? HELP!

Started by jo.jacques, March 20, 2014, 09:48:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jo.jacques

24hours after filling my dry started tank, I noticed some algae on my HC Cuba.   ARG!!!

What do you recommence to stop it ASAP while it is still small?

Tank info:
17G
Finnex Ray 2 24"
ADA Aquasoil
Pressurized Co2
Eheim 2217 filter

Here is the full build of my tank, if it can help:
http://ovas.ca/forum/index.php?topic=57843.msg324857#new

MERCI!

charlie

Manual removal, spot treat the area with Peroxide, large water changes as per ADA recommendation, lay off dosing the tank for a bit & let the co2 go wild if there is no livestock in the tank.
Regards

jo.jacques

Thanks. When you spot treat, what technique do you use? Dip a Q-tips in peroxyde and rub? Use a pipette?

Need to empty the tank for that?

sas

Quote from: jo.jacques on March 20, 2014, 10:54:33 AM
Thanks. When you spot treat, what technique do you use? Dip a Q-tips in peroxyde and rub? Use a pipette?

Need to empty the tank for that?

Ideally if you could get your hands on a syringe that would work the best, then you can really control
the direction and amount of peroxide that you use.
Pipette would work as well but not the best.
No need to empty the tank in my opinion.

jo.jacques

Great, I will try that tonight. Thanks!

charlie

To add to what sas has said, do not exceed 3 mls per gallon, so if it`s 17 gallon 50 mls of peroxide is good , stop all pumps , filters etc, squirt 50 mls on the treatment area, let it work for about 15-20 mins. then do a partial water change & power up your pumps & filters, may need to repeat the next day.
Regards

jo.jacques

Can I use Seachem Excel instead of Peroxyde? What's better?

charlie

Sure you can use excel, I prefer peroxide because it`s way cheaper & does the same thing. I could not say which is better.
Regards

exv152

Peroxide kills clado the best. It will instantly begin to bubble, and using a syringe is the best method. Errol is right, don't do more than 3ml per gallon of tank water.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

jo.jacques

Sooo I just spot treated with peroxyde, but it began to bubble, and ARGGG half of the HC has uprooted, resulting in a lot of HC floating at the surface.

5 weeks of dry start for that -_-