New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Tank temp

Started by Mike L, March 16, 2015, 06:19:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike L

I lost a heater in one of my tanks this past Sunday. I took one from a tank that is sitting with no inhabitants at the moment and will replace the heater this Friday. Will the lower temp of 70 adversely affect the beneficial bacteria in this short a time.  What I read is mixed.
Mike

Al

Don't worry, be happy. 70 isn't exactly cold water and even if it was, I wouldn't worry. The tank with no inhabitants, i.e. nofood for bacteria, is more of an issue than cool water

lucius

Oddly enough, one of my heaters died last week as well.  My 75 gallon was sitting at about 70 degrees for about 30 hours or so and I didn't lose any of the inhabitants.

exv152

QuoteTemperature

The temperature for optimum growth of nitrifying bacteria is between 77-86° F (25-30° C).

Growth rate is decreased by 50% at 64° F (18° C).

Growth rate is decreased by 75% at 46-50° F.

No activity will occur at 39° F (4° C)

Nitrifying bacteria will die at 32° F (0° C).

Nitrifying bacteria will die at 120° F (49° C)

Nitrobacter is less tolerant of low temperatures than Nitrosomonas. In cold water systems, care must be taken to monitor the accumulation of nitrites.
http://www.bioconlabs.com/nitribactfacts.html
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

Al

70 degrees isn't a real issue and if you really want to analyze it to death, lower levels of PH below 6.7 also negatively affect nitrifying bacteria
You said the tank had no inhabitants anyways so I would suggest the nitrifying bacteria in that system is weak anyways and the tank you moved the heater to should be fine
I don't really see an issue here, the tank with fish is being heated with the replacement heater and the empty tank is, well, empty and depending on how long it has been empty with no fish, could be an issue when adding fish
No need for valium

Al

This is also a good opportunity to remind hobbyists that spare parts are always a good idea, you have several tanks, have spare parts, a heater, a backup filter, etc. Its the price of the hobby and keeping live animals.
Your fish depend on your preparedness, not crossing fingers and depending on a retail store that's looking to cut back on inventory costs and not have what you need in a fix.

lucius

Quote from: Al on March 16, 2015, 08:47:58 PM
This is also a good opportunity to remind hobbyists that spare parts are always a good idea, you have several tanks, have spare parts, a heater, a backup filter, etc. Its the price of the hobby and keeping live animals.
Your fish depend on your preparedness, not crossing fingers and depending on a retail store that's looking to cut back on inventory costs and not have what you need in a fix.

So true.  I have a backup for everything else except for the heater.  :-[  I bought a new one last week and hope to exchange the broken one under warranty real soon.

Mike L

Thanks guys
I jettisoned a few fish and did a complete revamp of my 4 tanks a week ago this past Saturday leaving me with one tank empty until my new fish arrive next month. I think I might have whacked the heater when I was moving the rocks around in one of the 20L. Anyway I found my spare heater after I posted this so all is good. I did do a water parameter test on Sunday on the tanks as part of a follow up to the move. So far all is well.
Mike