New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

"baby" betta update *with pic*

Started by sarahbella, April 04, 2006, 10:00:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sarahbella

Well, the day has finally arrived!  i have a couple adult bettas from my first spawn wayyyyyyyy back at the end of september!  WOO HOO! ()

The father was a tri colour cambodian with the combtail trait.  The mother was  'purple'.   Its very hard to determine tail type on a female without knowing its genetic background.  

Ended up with 3 colour patterns from this spawn.  Babies were either like mom, like dad or what i call 'lavender', kind of a mix between mom and dad (a light 'purple' body with dark fins)

My adults are female, the males are still small sub adults.

the cambodian males are badly flawed and will not find their way into my breeding program, at best they will end up pets for some of the kids friends...  

The cambodian females wont be used for breeding either, they are kinda boring.

The tails on the females are interesting. They are  fuller than mamas and are also pretty much symmetrical with a noticable ray extension. With my limited experience i'd say they could be delta and its this trait im going to play with in round 2.

I have chosen 1 'lavender' bodied female and 1 royal blue male from this spawn and bought partners for them last night.  

The female is now fat and ready to breed so she is in a breeding tank with a male black and blue crowntail.  All i have to do is raise the temp and i should see a nest within a few days...

The male still has a way to go but and will be paired with a light blue female.  

I didn't intend to do anymore breeding with the bettas but i found myself with a couple of empty tanks so why not?  

still waiting on october and novembers spawns to grow up but its looking like i may have some nice green/ blue juvy crowntails in a couple of months but i won't know for sure until they a full grown.

i'll post pics in a while...:)

Mettle

Fantastic!

I've finally decided that with some of the stock I was able to pick up recently that I'm doing to try breeding bettas in the coming weeks. Much like you I simply seem to have the free tanks - so why not? (At the moment a 10 gal and a 20 gal.) Btu it'll have to wait til after exams.

I have a really nice dt black male that I'd love to cross with a navy blue female. Hopefully that'll produce something nice. And a few other projects as well, of course.

Maybe we can trade some fish down the line for bloodlines?

Post pics when you can!

sarahbella

I cant find my camera !  grr

Steph, keep me posted on your progress, but why wait till after exams??   The fish do all the work ;)

I found them to be very easy to care for. no water changes, no babysitting.  Once they are free swimmin and papa's out of the tank its smooooth sailing!

Id definitely be interested in swapping genetics.  You know where i am,  if youre ever in the 'hood drop by and see if i have anything that tickles your fancy.

sarahbella

here she is.

This is SB092905 #1 aka Piggy She  has always been the biggest fish in the spawn.  I thought for sure she was a male right from the beginning  but as you can see she is in full mating colour and she is all female!!

I love how her tail is so full and round.  She is very large too, she almost looks like B. imbellis

sarahbella

two of my males.  a cambodian and a solid body from the same spawn as the female above...

kitten

nice!!

still waiting for mine to finish growing....