New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

108 gallon in-wall tank - finally finished!

Started by garnpet, May 06, 2006, 04:03:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garnpet

Well my 108 gallon in-wall tank project is finally finished!   :)

The last of the fish and plants were put into the tank last night and my old 48 gallon tank is history.

For more pictures and a brief description of what was done click on the following link.

http://www.garneaufamily.ca/aquariums/108_construction.htm

1 fish, 2 fish, <°{{{><  , <°{{{><  

charlie

Good job Peter, looks fantastic, love the stainless steel frame adds a nice touch.

NjOyRiD

its really really nice

do you have picture from the other side?
370g System

220g tank, 65g Sump. octopus Cone skimmer xp-5000, vertex zf-30 nitrate reactor, RX6 DUO Ca reactor, Mp60w Ecotech pump, 2x 400w MH XM bulbs 15k. All controlled with DA RKE-net controller, Water Blaster HY-3000 return pump, Vertex Zf-15/Carbon, Vertex Zf-15/GFO

garnpet

PaleoFishGirl

Wow, it looks a lot better without that 48 stuck in front of it ;)  Good thing it found a new home at my place :)

Aiglos

wow... 

What a great job ! that tank looks fabulous.

What about a rough cost for somone to do the work for you ?

Aiglos

On a side note.... do you have any fast growing nutrient sucking plants in there ? that is ALOT of light you have on it and you will need a fast growing plant to help keep algea down.

what about co2 ? are you going to be adding Potassium Nitrate to the tank ? Algea eating fish ? Great little webpage setup aswell ! 

Over all 110%

Seanc

nice job, i also have an in wall tank, i like how you used a metal frame, i am planing to use a wood one. I think i might have the same color of wall as you too ;) great minds chose colors a like

jee

really #$%%!@ NICE! 8) stainless frame is just :o

garnpet

Quote from: Aiglos on May 06, 2006, 05:42:36 PM
What about a rough cost for somone to do the work for you ?

I think the work so far by the contractor has been about 8 hours @ $30/hour.

Quote from: Aiglos on May 06, 2006, 05:44:57 PM
What about co2 ? are you going to be adding Potassium Nitrate to the tank ? Algea eating fish ? Great little webpage setup aswell ! 

I will be adding CO2 this week.  On all my planted tanks I just use PlantGro - nothing too fancy.  This tank has 5 SAE and 3 BN so if I get some algae they will be happy.

garnpet

Quote from: PaleoFishGirl on May 06, 2006, 05:01:51 PM
Wow, it looks a lot better without that 48 stuck in front of it ;)  Good thing it found a new home at my place :)

The tank looks nice at your place!  A bit on the shaky side though!   :o

squeeker

Garnpet,

I know it's sad, but that piece of driftwood looks familiar.  You know you've been working somewhere too long when you recognize other people's driftwood...

The tank looks fantastic.  Great job.

luvfishies

darkdep

Absolutely beautiful.  Congrats on a GREAT setup!

babblefish1960

This is a well thought out arrangement, it also looks very nice, I see you're an accomplished interior decorator of the aquatic variety. Perhaps you may have stumbled on to a possible future form of employment. ;)

I am very curious of the origins of the stainless steel frame you have there, it gives it a very complete look and bears the asking.

garnpet

Quote from: squeeker on May 06, 2006, 11:25:58 PM
I know it's sad, but that piece of driftwood looks familiar.  You know you've been working somewhere too long when you recognize other people's driftwood...

???   You might have to explain yourself.  The middle piece was purchased over a year ago at SP Merivale and the large piece on the left at BA in Oakville last month.

Quote from: babblefish1960 on May 07, 2006, 04:53:33 AM
I am very curious of the origins of the stainless steel frame you have there, it gives it a very complete look and bears the asking.

The stainless steel frame was custom made here in Ottawa.  Our contractor dealt with them so I can't remember the name.  I'll ask him today (he is coming to finish up the last few details) and post it later.

RoxyDog

I love it!  The stainless is just beautiful!  Is there an emoticon for completely jealous?   ;D
Tanks: salty nano cube, working on a fresh 125

Life is too short to wake up with regrets.  So love the people who treat you right.  Forget about the one's who don't.  Believe everything happens for a reason.  If you get a second chance, grab it with both hands.  If it changes your life, let it.  Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.

328iGuy

Good job....I plan on doing the same thing with a 130G in the near future......

az

very nice, nice choice of red too, looks very good overall!

AQUA VALLEY    
1158 Ogilvie Road, Ottawa

2016 Hours
Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri >> 12-7pm
Sat, Sun >> 11-5pm
Mon >> CLOSED
Tel: 613 695 6961 Fax: 613 695 6532  
www.aquavalley.ca

Ottawa's BIGGEST SALTWATER Selection

Tel: 613 695 6961 Fax: 613 695 6532     www.aquavalley.ca

328iGuy

Quote from: az on May 07, 2006, 10:47:22 AM
very nice, nice choice of red too, looks very good overall!

Red?  Thats terracotaa....orange....  ;D

squeeker

QuoteI know it's sad, but that piece of driftwood looks familiar.  You know you've been working somewhere too long when you recognize other people's driftwood...

You might have to explain yourself.  The middle piece was purchased over a year ago at SP Merivale and the large piece on the left at BA in Oakville last month.

Yup, I used to work at SP Merivale... I've been working at Kanata for a year, and I worked at Merivale for a year before that  :)

Mettle

Just wanted to chime in to say you've done a fantastic job with the tank. I love the look of it. It's great. Especially that frame. (I'm a big fan of metals in the home.)

How do you find working on the tank from the back with the background you have on it? (I guess this goes for all people with in-wall tanks.) Seems it might be awkward at times - but I guess you get used to it?

Cheers.

garnpet

Quote from: 328iGuy on May 07, 2006, 10:49:48 AM
Red?  Thats terracotaa....orange....  ;D

Actually Rustic Brick from Benjamin Moore.

Quote from: squeeker on May 07, 2006, 11:25:24 AM

Yup, I used to work at SP Merivale... I've been working at Kanata for a year, and I worked at Merivale for a year before that  :)

Ahhh, now I understand.  When I saw that piece of driftwood I just had to buy it.

Quote from: Mettle on May 07, 2006, 12:43:36 PM
How do you find working on the tank from the back with the background you have on it? (I guess this goes for all people with in-wall tanks.) Seems it might be awkward at times - but I guess you get used to it?

The tank has only been going for 3 days now.  I have a feeling it's going to be a bit awkward, I'm used to looking through the glass to see what is going on.  Time will tell.

az

AQUA VALLEY    
1158 Ogilvie Road, Ottawa

2016 Hours
Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri >> 12-7pm
Sat, Sun >> 11-5pm
Mon >> CLOSED
Tel: 613 695 6961 Fax: 613 695 6532  
www.aquavalley.ca

Ottawa's BIGGEST SALTWATER Selection

Tel: 613 695 6961 Fax: 613 695 6532     www.aquavalley.ca

Seanc

Quote from: garnpet on May 07, 2006, 01:22:32 PM
The tank has only been going for 3 days now.  I have a feeling it's going to be a bit awkward, I'm used to looking through the glass to see what is going on.  Time will tell.
i can tell you its alot harder to aqua scape when you have to walk all the way around the tank to actualy see what it looks like. the side of the tank that i do the maintence on is allways looking better, eavin though everything around it doesn't.

garnpet

Quote from: garnpet on May 07, 2006, 07:19:06 AM
The stainless steel frame was custom made here in Ottawa.  Our contractor dealt with them so I can't remember the name.  I'll ask him today (he is coming to finish up the last few details) and post it later.

The frame was made by Loucon Metal here in Ottawa.  Looks nice, however they didn't make the corners exactly 45 degrees so it might have to go back to the store.

http://louconmetal.com/

artw

I witnessed this tank first hand tonight, and it is absolutely stunning.

gmann

its about time !  :)  looks fantastic Peter !  I know it took a while but now you, MB and the kids can sit back and enjoy...  well until you help me with mine..  ;D what do you think if I propose moving the 90g  to the workshop ? I just measured and it will fit perfectly. I just have to come up with a place for Beccas "new"workshop.
gmann

garnpet

Do you want help with the tank, or digging your early grave if you take Becca's workshop?   ::)

gmann

isnt this marriage thing all about compromise ?  ;)  I have my two tanks and well the second dog is coming. I am not sure exactly when but its coming. After visiting Oenologies place I almost called her back to reserve one of the dashunds...oh they were sooooo cute..
plus our vows state " I promise to nurture your dreams" .... so there you go I am in  ;D  ok thats lame but hey one can try.
gmann

PaleoFishGirl

Seanc

i think i might have to steel you're idea garnpet (like my little joke?), its a great idea, and will go well with the rest of the room, did it cost a substanciel amount of money though?(i hope you don't mind me asking)
thanks
sean

garnpet

Quote from: Seanc on May 11, 2006, 09:51:08 PM
i think i might have to steel you're idea garnpet (like my little joke?), its a great idea, and will go well with the rest of the room, did it cost a substanciel amount of money though?(i hope you don't mind me asking)
thanks
sean

The frame was actually pretty cheap - around $125.

Underwater

Julie

Very nice set up;  the stainless looks excellent.
Like your paint colours too :)