New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Recent posts

OVAS News and Events / Giant Auction
Last post by Jody - February 21, 2024, 09:51:38 AM
Hiya Everyone,

Our Giant Auction is back!

Saturday March 16th
Doors open at 9:00 AM
Registration will run from 9:00 AM to 10:15
Auction Starts at 10:30-10:45

It will take place at the Woodroffe United Church

207 Woodroffe Ave, Ottawa, ON K2A 3V1

This is a cash only auction, and there is no ATM on site.

See you then!
Jody
The Lounge / Re: Aquarium Co-op products av...
Last post by fethiye - February 15, 2024, 02:10:23 AM
Thanks for information
The Lounge / Aquarium Co-op products availa...
Last post by TheNorthernAquarist - February 09, 2024, 12:40:03 PM
If you are looking to buy Aquarium Co-op products in Canada, they are available from April's Aquarium in Vancouver. We recently placed an order with them and received it within a couple of days. They have free shipping on orders over $79.99 and seem to carry all of the Aquarium Co-op products. April's Fishroom was a pleasure to deal with, and they have excellent customer service.

Freshwater Tank Builds / Re: 48 Gallons Rimless Planted...
Last post by CarlP - February 07, 2024, 02:30:49 PM
The CO2 reactor is complete! I can't wait to test it once the tank is up and running.
Speaking of the tank. I now officially filled it up with water and started the dark cycle to get the ammonia out of the ADA substrate.
The scape looks weird right now but the goal is to get shadowed areas next to the rock line to reproduce the shore line of clear water tropical rivers and creek.
Giant Auction 2024 / Re: Giant Auction Volunteers
Last post by lucius - January 31, 2024, 01:29:04 PM
It should be added that the Giant Auction will take place on Saturday, March 16th. 

It will be held at Woodroffe United Church.  Their address is 207 Woodroffe Avenue.  For those taking the bus, it's about a 10 minute walk from Carlingwood Mall.

Also to note that Ontario March Break is March 11 to 15 as someone mentioned on the OVAS Facebook page.  Unfortunately WUC had limited availability on dates.
Last post by CarlP - January 31, 2024, 01:03:08 PM
Some progress on the CO2 reactor prototype.

I couldn't find anything that would fit my needs so I decided to make one.
Last post by CarlP - January 31, 2024, 12:56:31 PM
Quote from: charlie on January 29, 2024, 03:26:53 PMThanks for the updates, looking and sounding good.
Hint hint, this has the making of a nice little show and tell at one of our meetings  :)

I'd be down for that! 😃
Also had an idea about a talk about aquascaping hardscape and substrates (and plants!).
Equipment / DIY / Re: Discoloured Seals?
Last post by 101DalmatianMollies - January 31, 2024, 10:19:54 AM
Ok! I really wasn't sure. It doesn't feel like it's lifted from the tank, but if this discolouration can only be caused by the silicone lifting then that would be an issue.

Definitely not looking forward to swapping tanks not going to lie lol.

Thanks.
Giant Auction 2024 / Giant Auction Volunteers
Last post by Jody - January 31, 2024, 01:15:06 AM
Hi All,

With the auction coming up in just a month and a half, we are looking for a whole raft of volunteers to help out. As mentioned at the meeting, we can use all the help we can get.

Please post below if you are willing to help out, and what capacity you would prefer, there is a short description included. 

Cashiers - 2-3  needed - this involves taking the bags from the recorders, taking payment and giving change to the winner.

Auctioneers - 4 needed - this involves auctioneering of items, and communicating with the runners.

Runners - 6-8 needed - this involves making sure that sold items are taken from the auctioneers, and given to the recorders.

Recorders  - 3 needed - this involves taking the bags from the runners, and making sure that lot numbers and sale prices are marked down. This information is then given to the auction chair.

Raffle Ticket Sales - 1 needed - this involves selling raffle tickets, and giving instructions on how to use them.

Kitchen - 2-3 needed - this involves selling chips, pops, and whatever other foodstuffs that we decide on for the day.

Set up/organization - 2-3 needed (any volunteer can help with this) - this involves making sure that tables and chairs are properly set up for the action. As the auction goes on, they can help move items/table to the front for auctioneering.

Greeters/Entry table - 2-3 needed  - This involves minding the table, getting people their bidder numbers, door prize tickets, and taking the entrance fee.

Assistant to Auction Chair - 1 needed - this person will help out the auction chair with whatever they need.

As I mentioned, any help is appreciated.

Thanks
Jody
Last post by charlie - January 29, 2024, 03:26:53 PM
Thanks for the updates, looking and sounding good.
Hint hint, this has the making of a nice little show and tell at one of our meetings  :)