New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Recent posts

Giant Auction 2024 / Giant Auction Volunteers
Last post by Jody - January 31, 2024, 01:15:06 AM
Hi All,

With the auction coming up in just a month and a half, we are looking for a whole raft of volunteers to help out. As mentioned at the meeting, we can use all the help we can get.

Please post below if you are willing to help out, and what capacity you would prefer, there is a short description included. 

Cashiers - 2-3  needed - this involves taking the bags from the recorders, taking payment and giving change to the winner.

Auctioneers - 4 needed - this involves auctioneering of items, and communicating with the runners.

Runners - 6-8 needed - this involves making sure that sold items are taken from the auctioneers, and given to the recorders.

Recorders  - 3 needed - this involves taking the bags from the runners, and making sure that lot numbers and sale prices are marked down. This information is then given to the auction chair.

Raffle Ticket Sales - 1 needed - this involves selling raffle tickets, and giving instructions on how to use them.

Kitchen - 2-3 needed - this involves selling chips, pops, and whatever other foodstuffs that we decide on for the day.

Set up/organization - 2-3 needed (any volunteer can help with this) - this involves making sure that tables and chairs are properly set up for the action. As the auction goes on, they can help move items/table to the front for auctioneering.

Greeters/Entry table - 2-3 needed  - This involves minding the table, getting people their bidder numbers, door prize tickets, and taking the entrance fee.

Assistant to Auction Chair - 1 needed - this person will help out the auction chair with whatever they need.

As I mentioned, any help is appreciated.

Thanks
Jody
Freshwater Tank Builds / Re: 48 Gallons Rimless Planted...
Last post by charlie - January 29, 2024, 03:26:53 PM
Thanks for the updates, looking and sounding good.
Hint hint, this has the making of a nice little show and tell at one of our meetings  :)
Last post by CarlP - January 27, 2024, 07:45:35 AM
Another piece of the puzzle acquired.

For the majority of this project, I'll use Ada substrate system and sand.
The aquasoil will be ADA Amazonia ver.2 capping a raising layer of crushed lava stones with ADA Tourmaline and Bacter 100 additives.
As for the sand in the front, I went with La plata sand. I'll might mix it with some Colorado but I'll need more for sure.

Another detail is the tank mat. Mine was pretty much just a tin layer of foam.
The ada one is 5mm thick and distribute the weight of the tank more evenly.

Lastly I set my mind on the rocks I'll use. Lava rocks. It's not as striking as seiryu but like I said during our last meeting, I'm lazy as well and chasing parameters on an unstable aquarium is my version of hell. The soil could control that for a while but not forever.
I'm keeping some seiryu for the aquascape contest in May! 😉
Last post by Jody - January 26, 2024, 10:14:00 AM
Hi Carl,

Thanks for the updates, I always like to see how people build their tanks.

Jody
Last post by CarlP - January 25, 2024, 11:27:23 PM
The perks of having a bicycle frame builder friend!
I designed this Chihiros RGB Vivid 2 light holder and he built it today.
I'm 3d printing brackets to install it next week.
Last post by CarlP - January 25, 2024, 01:58:02 PM
Finally got enough black lava rock to start the rock scaping of the tank.
I got rid of the Seiryu stone after some members talked me out of it regarding KH swing.
Equipment / DIY / Re: Discoloured Seals?
Last post by CarlP - January 25, 2024, 01:53:59 PM
This is clearly water ingress under the silicone.
I'd get another tank and transfer everything.
I don't think it will leak but you don't want to test your luck any longer. The silicone is no longer glued to the pane.
Equipment / DIY / Discoloured Seals?
Last post by 101DalmatianMollies - January 23, 2024, 11:17:06 PM
Howdy!

I'm hoping someone can give me some guidance - I noticed on my 75 gallon two seals are very discoloured - they should be black, but they are yellow.

Is this a sign of things to come? Should I be worried? Is it time for me to replace the tank? I would need to regardless as it is heavily stocked and I'm not experienced with re-sealing enough to have these fish hang out in a rubbermaid container while I get my act together. So I would need to replace it so the would have someplace to be and then reseal this one.

It's a second hand tank, I've had it for at least 4 years, and the previous owner I'm sure had it for that long at least.

Thanks!
OVAS News and Events / Re: Jan 22nd Meeting and Potlu...
Last post by Gowalkitoff - January 22, 2024, 01:43:04 PM
I can't come. I was keeping my fingers crossed. My husband is into overtime night shifts for snow removal. Maybe next month!
Last post by CarlP - January 22, 2024, 06:59:23 AM
I installed the dosing pump in the stand.
I used a lot of Jebao dosing pump in the past but I love this one for the fact that it's controlled by my phone over Bluetooth. Way easier to program than the Jebao SP4.

The stand itself is a temporary one as the real thing is being built by my father in law who's a woodworker.