New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

12 Gallon Loooong

Started by zoom111, July 29, 2011, 01:30:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zoom111

So it all began when I unsuccessfully kept freshwater tanks.... I decided it might be easier to go saltwater; go figure. I was looking for something different and before even realizing that mr.aqua made 12 gallon long tanks I built my own ! The dimensions are 36"L x 8.5"W x 10"H. Everything has been running for about 6 month and after many aquascapes (including sand removal) this is how she stands. Hope you enjoy !

Equipment:

Aquamedic 2x39W T5HO (1 actinic, 1 10k)
Koralia nano 425gph
Petsmart pump (~150gph)
Aqueon 30 HOB (200gph)
Tetra 50W heater (in the HOB)
Activated carbon (in the HOB)

Livestock:

Ocellaris Clownfish
Darwin Clownfish
Skunk cleaner shrimp

Coral:

Frogspawn (15+ heads)
2x ricordea yuma
zoanthid polyps
acan

White Lightning

Looks good. Corals look happy!

zoom111

Thank you ! Not sure where the acan should go, had him up high, and down low, and in high flow and low flow... dint seem to make much of a difference other than the night tentacles getting blown around in the high flow spot. Also, snails just kept knocking it over when i had it up high.

Cheebs

It's clean and elegant, I like it. Great looking tank! Do you have plans for any more livestock?

zoom111

Quote from: Cheebs on July 30, 2011, 10:25:57 AM
It's clean and elegant, I like it. Great looking tank! Do you have plans for any more livestock?

Thanks for the kind words ! As far as livestock goes I want to keep it light, and I think that 2 clowns is pushing it. I do a wc every ~10 days and have no skimmer. This is also a "holding/test" tank until I upgrade in the near future.

zoom111

So just thought I'd post a quick update of the revised scape and additions. The additions are Xenia frag, Alveopora frag and MP20 8) The acan and the orange ric are not really pictured, they are at the far right. Also purple ric has split (picture 4) and the GSP frag I picked up was not in the photoshoot, sorry ! Darwin clown was donated because my female was crazy and would chase him every now and then grabbing a hold of his dorsal fin with her mouth and holding on for a bit.

Hookup

very nice.  I too like how clean it looks.

Cheebs

Nice update, I'm liking the growth you're getting so far :)

zoom111

zoom111

Some new updates !!

First off the DIY 12 long was replaced with a much more "stable" tank, a 20 long. The 12 long was built using the wrong type of silicone. Also a colony of frogspawn was fragged into much smaller, more manageable pieces.

And finally this tank was put together yesterday. This time I was sure to use the correct type of silicone. It is not yet finished, I need to razor the "squeeze out" from inside and seal it. I will also install a false wall and baffles to make an AIO.  Dimensions are 36"L x 24"W x 18"H. The ends are made slightly higher than the sides because I will use it for the lid to butt up against.

zoom111

Made a small DIY macro lens for my Iphone and decided to upload a few pictures. Makes a really big difference compared to the stock lense.  Enjoy !!

Frogspawn / Hammer hybrid

Ricordea & Yuma

Cleaner Shrimp

Another ricordea (not so macro)

Snail with a cool hair-dew

Shroom

Peekay

So slick!  Looks amazing.

xenon

Quote from: zoom111 on January 10, 2012, 04:50:26 PM

Snail with a cool hair-dew

My old 29G biocube had that hair algae and for the life of me, I could not get rid of it.

I would scrub that snail down. lol

zoom111

Quote from: xenon on January 10, 2012, 07:08:56 PM
My old 29G biocube had that hair algae and for the life of me, I could not get rid of it.

I would scrub that snail down. lol

Haha, but it's my mobile algea turf scrubber !

If your talking about the green hair then I'm not worried I have a tiny amount on this 1 rock and its slowly receding.

Can anyone ID the red strands ? Seems like it hitchhiked on this snail and appears no where else in the tank.

delslo

That's a fast snail, he's got flames coming off of him!!!

Cheebs

The tank is looking good! The red strands are the problematic ones, I'd scrub down the snail for sure.

ben_jamin

new scape is nice youve got way too much frogspawn though
once i get my tank goin well have to make a deal  ;)
did you add more rock during the tank switch?
pics are awesome too i like the shrimp shot

xenon

Quote from: zoom111 on January 10, 2012, 07:47:08 PM

Haha, but it's my mobile algea turf scrubber !

If your talking about the green hair then I'm not worried I have a tiny amount on this 1 rock and its slowly receding.

Can anyone ID the red strands ? Seems like it hitchhiked on this snail and appears no where else in the tank.

I am talking about the red strands, not the green hair algae.

I forget the name but its nasty because it will thrive in pristine water conditions so its nearly impossible to get rid of.