New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

DARK's new start

Started by darkphreak, February 02, 2012, 08:56:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

darkphreak

After a long forced break away from my BIG reef tank, Im back nano sized. Bought a Cadlights 50g Artisan Series system, rimless 3 sided Starfire, 13g sump, TIA-1150 Conic skimmer, 120W LED Pendant, running 1 of my old 6100 Tunze Streams and a few nano streams for about 5000 gph flow. 50 pounds of Eco Reef Rock and 20 of live and of course its bare-bottom. The sump is not connected right now because they forgot to include the bulkheads. This is will mainly an SPS tank with a few rics and zoa's mixed in. Not sure about the rock work yet, it might change once I get the sump running. Will update when things start moving along and the tank cycles.

NjOyRiD

welcome back man!
nice set up!
370g System

220g tank, 65g Sump. octopus Cone skimmer xp-5000, vertex zf-30 nitrate reactor, RX6 DUO Ca reactor, Mp60w Ecotech pump, 2x 400w MH XM bulbs 15k. All controlled with DA RKE-net controller, Water Blaster HY-3000 return pump, Vertex Zf-15/Carbon, Vertex Zf-15/GFO

Cheebs

Wow, looking great so far! It doesn't look like you're looking to fool around, nice and clean!

darkphreak

Thanks guys! Still waiting on the bulkheads... Seeing some very small patchs of coraline growing. Might upgrade the led unit, it lacks the blue pop Im used to from VHO's.

Do any of you saltwater ppl still sell/trade frags?

NjOyRiD

Quote from: DARKPHREAK on February 10, 2012, 08:29:05 PM
Thanks guys! Still waiting on the bulkheads... Seeing some very small patchs of coraline growing. Might upgrade the led unit, it lacks the blue pop Im used to from VHO's.

Do any of you saltwater ppl still sell/trade frags?

yup, what are you lookign for?
370g System

220g tank, 65g Sump. octopus Cone skimmer xp-5000, vertex zf-30 nitrate reactor, RX6 DUO Ca reactor, Mp60w Ecotech pump, 2x 400w MH XM bulbs 15k. All controlled with DA RKE-net controller, Water Blaster HY-3000 return pump, Vertex Zf-15/Carbon, Vertex Zf-15/GFO

darkphreak

Acropora Tenuis
Rainbow Stylophora
Supergrape Mille
Green/Orange/Purple Digitata

darkphreak

A few iPhone pix of latest additions

Hookup

Dood... Very nice looking setup...

But Dood!  Is than an emperor angelfish?   The kind that grow to over one foot and need 220g systems or bigger?

darkphreak

They grow real slow unless you feed them every 2 hours, had one for 6 years and he grew from 3-4 to 6-7 inchs in that time. In 7 years I will have another monster tank so Im covered.

MJChang

ahuh, there u r

so the angelfish hasn't yet bothered the sps. huh?

i've long been thinkin about addin a majestic angelfish

kole18

I had an asfur angel in my 90g before never bother any sps, except lps & zoas ;D. I've seen emperor in sps tank system, as well majestic & also regal angel. But most corals are sps no lps I think some of bigger angelfish are more tend to be reef safe than dwarf one, got no luck for flame & flameback even multicolor as well coralbeauty these really aggressive too. I ended up selling all my dwarf angel its nice but really sneaky fish once stop eating prepare food it will like taste your corals...& if you have brain corals for sure it will take a pcs of it, once done to your lps don't be suprice your sps is next. I've seen all the these mood of dwarf angel worse than the bigger angel >:( but that tank for emperor is too small dark nice but this fish needs more space to swim around unless only these fish in this system & nice acro there too. 8)

darkphreak

Other then a few Zoa's, this tank will be SPS only and I plan on adding only 1 more smaller fish to the system. The Emp seems to be enjoying the 5000 GPH flow that's in the tank so for the foreseeable future he stays. Ive got a 150g system in dry dock but I don't see a problem based on my experience with this fish.

Hey MJChang, he was eating all foods within the hour after acclimation. The majestic I had did eat SPS but as I have(had) a BIG skimmer I was able to overfeed the fish and he stopped.

MJChang

Quote from: DARKPHREAK on March 16, 2012, 11:56:25 PM
Other then a few Zoa's, this tank will be SPS only and I plan on adding only 1 more smaller fish to the system. The Emp seems to be enjoying the 5000 GPH flow that's in the tank so for the foreseeable future he stays. Ive got a 150g system in dry dock but I don't see a problem based on my experience with this fish.

Hey MJChang, he was eating all foods within the hour after acclimation. The majestic I had did eat SPS but as I have(had) a BIG skimmer I was able to overfeed the fish and he stopped.

i usually feed as much as fish eat up within a minute. i now have 5 anthias, 1 tang, 1 wrasse, 8 cardinals and 2 clowns and a pair of yashe and randall--they've disappeared though for a while. i feed pellets'n mysis respectively once a day and cyclopeeze twice a day. probably too much feedin. think about cuttin half

they finish all food within a minute

thinkin about addin a blue tang

liv

real nice setup James !
haven't seen u in a while, hope all is well with you guys.