New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Journal of Conversion to Zeovit

Started by MJChang, November 24, 2012, 06:34:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MJChang

:'(

havin left my tank attended by my coworker during my vacation, i paid the price sufferin a horrible outbreak of all sorts of algae, dinos--what you'll see in the pic with great improvement after dosing ultra algae x, cyano--what is replacing dinos that is fading, red cotton algae--another nuisance you can think about, gha--fading but slower than dinos after ultra algae x dosing, macro algae--i'll leave it grow there right now for combattin dino with ultra algae x requires shuttin down gfo/carbon

the big trophy of my blackfriday. totally worthy it, vertex zeo reactor, fought my claws and tails to get it

acropora bushyensis/ humilis aka fiji green bushy, one of my best purchase. it was thought delicate but did survive the disaster

the corals really wash out with very thin tissues. p.e. however is good. possibly the algae assortment scrubbed all the nutrients from the water

still work to identify this table coral, possibly pink milli or what

my fave survives. when i purchased it, it lost half of its tentacles. now it recovered

a very potential rbta to develop into a rainbow rbta. i randomly feed my anemones so they dont grow that fast. by random i mean i feed when i think about it

MJChang

Received the first patch of conversion materials:

Salifert K Test Kit and K-Balance

The reading was really bad. It was 290 and made my suspicion come true. The monti fails just as described in the manual how it does due to lack of potassium. Start dosin K-Balance and hopefully the situation is to improve.

xenon

Quote from: MJChang on November 26, 2012, 06:24:03 PM
Received the first patch of conversion materials:

Salifert K Test Kit and K-Balance

The reading was really bad. It was 290 and made my suspicion come true. The monti fails just as described in the manual how it does due to lack of potassium. Start dosin K-Balance and hopefully the situation is to improve.

I use the same test kit and love it.

My SPS corals consume a ton of Potassium also.

MJChang

Quote from: xenon on November 26, 2012, 08:00:32 PM
I use the same test kit and love it.

My SPS corals consume a ton of Potassium also.

i really forgot this part for a long time. only when i read the kz manual again was i reminded of potassium depletion

kole18

I don't dose potassium in my tank, just home made ato drip kalk/vinegar plus the basic additives for zeovit & run zeo reactor plus carbon. My montis seems ok, here's much additives.

Sponge coral
Coralvitalizer
Lps amino
Amino acid
Pohl extra
Ultra bac 2x a week.

MJChang

Quote from: kole18 on November 26, 2012, 10:38:29 PM
I don't dose potassium in my tank, just home made ato drip kalk/vinegar plus the basic additives for zeovit & run zeo reactor plus carbon. My montis seems ok, here's much additives.

Sponge coral
Coralvitalizer
Lps amino
Amino acid
Pohl extra
Ultra bac 2x a week.

my guess kalk is unnecessary for zeovit

my tank is small so i dose tropic marin bio calcium. at home i have a calcium reactor

usually i go around basic 5, stone, bak, start, food, carbon

dont know what went wrong but k+ readin sucks this time

kole18

Corals r doing ok & growing, I don't see any problem lol.

MJChang

Quote from: kole18 on November 26, 2012, 11:23:38 PM
Corals r doing ok & growing, I don't see any problem lol.

Yup, this biz is like that. You'll finally figure out a system works for you

kole18

Simple just learn how to read ur parameters & make sure everything is in right level ;D

kole18

i dose coral-vite 2x a week & here what's in it.

Inorganic mineral salts of Barium, Boron, Bromine, Calcium, Cobalt, Fluorine, Iodine, Iron, Lithium, Magnesium, Manganese, Potassium, Rubidium and Strontium; EDTA, Vitamins: L-Ascorbic Acid 2-Sulfate Dipotassium Dihydrate, Vitamin A Propionate, Vitamin A Palmitate, D-Activated animal sterol (D3), Folic Acid, Choline Chloride, Niacin, d-Pantothenic Acid, Thiamine (B1), Pyridoxine (B6), Riboflavin (B2), Vitamin B12, d-Biotin, Tocopheryl Acetate (E), Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (K3) in a base containing Deionized Water, inorganic stabilizing compounds, and preservatives.

MJChang

Quote from: kole18 on November 26, 2012, 11:51:27 PM
Simple just learn how to read ur parameters & make sure everything is in right level ;D

that's why i switch back to zeo. it sets up a framework of reef maintenance. so next time when i'm away, my dummy coworker can follow a way much clearer guideline :)

no more break disaster

MJChang

Huge Victory against dinos! And as huge victory to recover the remnant corals.

Few ep's to share:

1, Ultra Algae X works to the point that dinos vanishes in 10 days as the manual says. But it isn't as powerful to kill other nuisance algae.

2, It's important to cut down the photoperiod to 6 max.

3, shuttin down all the other filters except the skimmer makes nutrients soar up. Cyano then thrives. But one time one problem, right.  ;)

Next step i'm gonna combat cyano with zeozym, coral snow, bio-mate + tropic marin reef actif---very powerful powder and it smells to me like some sort of carbon source. But my ritteri reacts rather badly to it.

4, potassium's an important element, or whatever, when it reduces to half what it is supposed, it's bad.

Will update with some pix. Corals r now growin fast and colorin up. :)

MJChang

Very positive result to date. At the very beginning the tank looked like this. The previous system totally broke down. Dino's thrived on every single corner.

Then after the Ultra Algae X treatment it looked like this. The very red and hairy cyano mat on sand bed.

And today it looks like this. My tank's never been so clean, wether on glass or rocks.  ;D There're still some persistent cyano colonies that I have yet to wipe out.

Few more pix:

The ritteri finally balled up, showing a much healthier sign. The ball was very purple but it's of little pity the tentacles aren't green or purple tipped.

The pink millepora colors up now.

The blue staghorn has yet to color up with xtra and vc. But now my priority is to wipe out cyano remnants.

The caroliniana is growing fast and coloring up.

I'll be getting a very awesome desalwii frag in months. Can't wait to put it in my tank.

;D ;D ;D

MJChang

New toy, ultra quiet, cheap and worth every single penny in it: Vertex Omega 150 Skimmer.

In box on arrival

assembled

Broke in. Very fine and smooth foam

Severum

Did you have any negative effects or losses from using Algae X? I've read up a bunch on it and many people have lost stuff whether its fish or corals. And its not always easy to tell if they were doing everything correctly.
Regards,
Steve Everum

"We like people for their qualities, but love them for their defects."

120 gallon reef

MJChang

Quote from: Severum on January 14, 2013, 10:33:10 AM
Did you have any negative effects or losses from using Algae X? I've read up a bunch on it and many people have lost stuff whether its fish or corals. And its not always easy to tell if they were doing everything correctly.

nope, even the very delicate ritteri survived. I guess if there's any loss, it must be something wrong with ORP that results from oxygen depletion. the instruction asks for very wet skimming and I threw an airstone into the sump.