New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

New 10G Set-up

Started by daworldisblack, December 24, 2010, 11:58:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daworldisblack

Just set up a 10G tank and letting it cycle. Got a few Zebra Danios in there helping me with the process. I am 'gettin help' from SuperBac Aquarium bacteria to get the cycle going. Just did some readings.

Ammonia: 0.5
Nitrate:0.0
Nitrite: 0.0

We'll see if this works. No nitrates no nitrites yet but we'll see how it goes with tomorrow's measurement. Planning to do 10-15% water changes every other day to get ammonia levels down.

So far in my tank I have Black Fluorite Substrate and a few river stones. I am looking to get some Driftwood or Mopani and Java Moss as well as some dwarf grass for this setup. Also need a stand or a small table for it but everything is so expensive for a new grad like me:p Maybe next month's budget will include a little FishFund for one. Primarily, it is going to be home to some Killifish that I hope to get in the new year! This is exciting!

In the meanwhile, Happy Holidays everyone!
Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!

androo303

daworldisblack

Soon Andrew! In the new year with the new cam i got for boxing day! Read parameters tonight. Same as yesterday:

Nitrite:0.0

What does this mean?

fischkopp

Cycle takes about 3-4 weeks to complete (+/-). Frequent water changes in this period will prolong the process. While setting up a new tank is always quite exciting, more often than not this hobby teaches us that patience is one major the key to success. ;)

A Killifish setup sound like a great plan. Looking forward to see your tank progressing!
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

daworldisblack

Got some Java Moss in today and planning on making it latch to a Skull Ornament. Currently, Skull looks like its Michael Jackson. Got some Anacharis as well as Mopani driftwood ( it really does drift without a weight attached. Does it stop after a while in the water?). So first set of plants are in the tank. Did a parameter check and here are the findings(Aren't I supposed to see an ammonia spike?):

Ammonia:0.5

Was tempted to get some ghost shrimps today as well but alas I know they'll be eaten by the killifish in no time so didn't bother.I'm pretty excited! Will take pictures as soon as I can!

daworldisblack

Still:

Ammonia:0.5

Hmm...

daworldisblack

Got my camera and got my Killifishes today as well! Here are the pictures!!

Aphyosemion Splendoplure Njende ( Cameroonian 1st gen) Young Male

Fundulopanchax Nigerianus Innidere Young Male

Setup - 10Gallong with Mopani, Skull Ornament with Java Moss, Ancharis, Penguin BioWheel Filter 

Mopani and Ancharis

I got a pair of the Splendoplure and a trio of the Innidere so am pretty excited! I took out my Zebra Danios since they were not compatible tank mates. Comments?

Also did some water tests:
Nitrate:0
Nitirite:0.5

My Mopani also has spider web things which means that the bacteria is doing its thing on there. Just did a 10% water change too. Looking good so far.

fischkopp

Looking good, great Killies!

A few notes about cycling: A tank is considered cycled when both ammonia and nitrite are zero (because they can be harmful); at this point you will see a steady increase in nitrate (mostly unproblematic). There are two different types of bacteria involved in this process, one that will transform ammonia to nitrite, and another one that transforms nitrite to nitrate. That you measure nitrite now means that the numbers of the first bacteria type have increased, but not enough since you can still measure ammonia. The second bacteria population has yet to increase, that's why nitrates are still not present. As mentioned earlier, it will take some time (weeks) before the cycle is complete.

Hope this helps and I didn't repeat what you already know. ;)
Good luck!
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

daworldisblack

Thanks for the info! Am i still to expect the spike in Ammonia that is so notorious?

OttawaFolkFestivum

Hey, nice setup, nice fish, and great pictures. You must have a great camera in your hands. That skull decoration brings back memories. I had the same one twenty years ago - totally forgot about it.
Cheers, Steve

daworldisblack

Quote from: OttawaFolkFestivum on January 01, 2011, 09:01:06 PM
Hey, nice setup, nice fish, and great pictures. You must have a great camera in your hands. That skull decoration brings back memories. I had the same one twenty years ago - totally forgot about it.

Thanks:) I have a Cannon S95 which is a pretty decent camera for sure:) I'll see if the moss actually latches onto the skull haha

androo303

Jeff1192

Where did you get the killies? They're really nice.

Jeff
17 Gallon Seapora Crystal:: Cherry shrimp and red crystal shrimp

90 Gallon:: p. acei itunji, p. elongatus chewere, p. Saulosi, cyno zebroides jalo reef

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
                        - George Orwell

daworldisblack

Quote from: Jeff1192 on January 02, 2011, 10:27:43 PM
Where did you get the killies? They're really nice.

Jeff

Gary from montreal:) He is on our forums as garyfrommontreal. Really nice guy!

ThomasLynn

Gary from Montreal goes under garyfrommontreal? CRAZY  :D  GREAT set up!

Laura

Nice killies - if your ammonia is not settling down I can trade you a grungy sponge full of wonderful bacteria for a nice new one.  ;)
700 gal pond - Rosy reds

daworldisblack

Quote from: Laura on January 10, 2011, 11:44:21 AM
Nice killies - if your ammonia is not settling down I can trade you a grungy sponge full of wonderful bacteria for a nice new one.  ;)

I'd have taken you up on that offer if it was 3 weeks ago :p But everything seems fine now. Been doing regular water tests and ammonia levels are down to zero, Nitrites are Zero as well. Slight Nitrate level - most of it is probably feeding my Ancharis :) Cycling a new tank though. I'm using water from my Killi Tank so we'll see if that cycles well. If not I'll hvae you in mind :) Thanks!

daworldisblack

New Pics. Got some of females this time round as well.

Nigerianus Female

Splendoplure Female

Fp Nigerianus Inidere

daworldisblack

My New Aphyosemion Striatum Pair I got from Frank's Aquarium over the weekend!

daworldisblack

Caught it all flared up!