New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

20 Gallon re-do

Started by ThomasLynn, November 24, 2010, 12:05:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ThomasLynn

Some of you have been following my experiences with my pair of breeding Kribensis on other posts. Figured i'd keep you up to date on their development, plus my own growth and experiences. This tank started off as a Mollie/Swordtail tank. I had picked up a trio of Dwarf Gourami at one point and suffered a massive kill off, leaving me with two Mollies, a single Swordtail fry, and two Cories.

Those fish were moved to my 10 gallon (and the Mollies have now replentished them selves) and my current 20 gallon setup was established. A pair of Kribensis and 4 Skunk Loachs were purchased from Big Al's East. Within a couple weeks the pair were shacked up and preparing for a batch of fry.

14 fry have survived to this point and are all doing well. Growth is occuring and they are starting to search out for their own corner. That is what brought me to this point. I needed to supply those Kribs with a place of their own to find. I contacted Rebecca, who supplied me with some Flourite and went down to LaNiche to pick up some low lying plants to provide some cover.

Well this story would be alot better if I could figure out how to post the pictures... anyone? I'll post once I'm "shown the way"

Malyon18

To post pictures I use photobucket (there are different website out there that do picture hosting though), you upload your pictures to their site then it will generate and IMG code for you that you copy and then paste here in your post and voila your picture should appear
"Friends Don't Let Friends Go Plastic Reef"

ThomasLynn

The Tank...

http://flic.kr/p/8XRnGS

There are other pictures of the tank here as well  :)

HomerJ

Quote from: ThomasLynn on November 24, 2010, 12:05:50 PM
Well this story would be alot better if I could figure out how to post the pictures... anyone? I'll post once I'm "shown the way"

When you are posting, at the bottom left of the post box, there is an "additional options" link.  Click it and you're presented with an "attach" box, where you can select the files you want to attach.

ThomasLynn

Pics are all over 2mb... too big for that feature *thats what she said* :o

ThomasLynn

The plants on the right of the picture (posted above)... anyone confirm that if I trim them it will encourage them to sprout and thicken up? Also, plant in back left corner. Thats the original, but everytime I try to trim off a section for more it ends up dying. I'm starting to think roots aren't 'supposed' to be in the substrate?

In general, if any of our 'planted guru's' can give me some suggestions to enhancing my aquascape? Much appriciated!

Toss

I don't think you can trim those to thicken up. They are not stem plants.
75 gal - Mosquito rasbora, Bushynose pleco, RCS
9 gal - CRS
40 gal - Longfin Albino Bushynose pleco, RCS

ThomasLynn

Thanks for the suggestion!

Saltcreep

Quote from: ThomasLynn on December 02, 2010, 11:21:31 AM
Pics are all over 2mb... too big for that feature *thats what she said* :o
Super easy to resize the pics using the Windows Paint program.

ThomasLynn

It was a big day for the tank today... After my paired Kribs had a second batch of fry I was looking to sell off a dozen of the juvi Kribs. Thanks to Marc-Andre and the crew over at LaNiche for taking them and doing a bit of a trade, I was able to pick out a couple plants that REALLY filled out my tank. Combine that with some drift wood I picked up from NjOyRiD and BOOM, brand new tank!

Before -> http://www.flickr.com/photos/thomaslynn/5369195272/

After -> http://www.flickr.com/photos/thomaslynn/5368585091/

LOVING the new look and all the plants. Thinking of adding a small school of Barbs once the water clears up from moving everything around.