New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

DYMAX IQ3

Started by blizzack1, January 03, 2011, 05:06:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blizzack1

Hi guys,

Got one of these for Xmas (not mine in photo):

It is about 2.2 gallons, and apparently the light has a very high PAR value at the substrate level (~38, according to Practical Fish Keeping magazine, which is apparently right in line with the high-light ADA tanks (35-40) http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/content.php?sid=2546

I'm planning on bringing it to work and planting it (supplementing with ferts/flourish excel as necessary) and adding some shrimp.

My main decision is what to plant in it, keeping in mind the following:

• Very small Tank
  • Liquid CO2
  • Apparently high light

I'd like to do a minimal tank with some grassy type plant along the background, and probably a nice rock in the middle.  I'm on the fence about a carpet plant without CO2, but if you know one that might work feel free to suggest.

Thanks a lot!

JB

Benja

I have recently bought my fourth light for m IQ3.
Don't use the dimmer.  The light will dim fast(permanently).
I have 3 robo leds on my tank(pico reef). 
The newest one is brighter than the one which I bought a month ago, even brighter than the one I bought with the tank originally.

TLe041

Congrats on the tank!

Even though this is a pico tank, a par of 38 isn't considered high. I wouldn't bother with CO2 and stick to low-medium light plants for this tank (ie. crypt parva, anubias petite, etc.)
Tony

blizzack1

Quote from: TLe041 on January 03, 2011, 05:22:41 PM
Congrats on the tank!

Even though this is a pico tank, a par of 38 isn't considered high. I wouldn't bother with CO2 and stick to low-medium light plants for this tank (ie. crypt parva, anubias petite, etc.)

I should have mentioned I don't know much about PAR scores :)

The article said it was around a par of 100 at the surface, and 38 at substrate level, and a commenter added that the ADA tanks that grow HC around around 35-40.. but now I remember that HC isn't actually a high-light plant (at least according to Tropica).