New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

What should you test and how often ... one set of suggestions

Started by albertthiel, November 13, 2013, 09:31:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Herstead

Great article. I was unaware there were reliable silicate tests now. Since Stephanie and I plan to dose silicates, like Dr. Randy Holmes-Farley has suggested, this is big news for us.

For those who have not heard of this idea, basically it is to keep diatoms in the main tank as they are easier to clean off the glass and they are pretty much all snails favorite food.

- Jonathan
Current Set-Up: Mixed Reef 250g DT + 100g in Sump
Inhabitants: 2 Snowflake Clowns, 8 Bimac Anthias, 2 Mandarin Dragonets, Vigratus Rabbit Fish, Flame Angel, Purple Chromis, Atlantic Blue Tang, Sailfin Tang and lots of inverts.
Next Step: Set up controller and ATO. Really need to do this.

albertthiel

Quote from: Herstead on November 13, 2013, 01:08:32 PM
Great article. I was unaware there were reliable silicate tests now. Since Stephanie and I plan to dose silicates, like Dr. Randy Holmes-Farley has suggested, this is big news for us.

For those who have not heard of this idea, basically it is to keep diatoms in the main tank as they are easier to clean off the glass and they are pretty much all snails favorite food.

- Jonathan

Glad the Link was of help to you ... and yes that is a good approach you are using indeed

Albert

fish

"The calcium content. Check it about every week to two weeks. More often if your coralline algae do not grow properly. This could be because the dKH is too high or because the Calcium level is too low. The addition of Kalkwasser or another calcium supplement may be necessary, in addition to lowering the dKH. Note that if you are using a Kalk reactor you are dealing with a different set of parameters in terms of coralline algae growth not covered in this document. Should you have any questions regarding coralline algae growth you can send me a message.

Read more: http://reefbuilders.com/2007/08/06/what-should-you-test-for-in-your-saltwater-aquarium-and-how-often/#ixzz2lU2ZY2rd"

I'm curious. What do mean by a different set of parameters when dosing Kalk?

albertthiel

Quote from: fish on November 23, 2013, 10:38:50 AM
"The calcium content. Check it about every week to two weeks. More often if your coralline algae do not grow properly. This could be because the dKH is too high or because the Calcium level is too low. The addition of Kalkwasser or another calcium supplement may be necessary, in addition to lowering the dKH. Note that if you are using a Kalk reactor you are dealing with a different set of parameters in terms of coralline algae growth not covered in this document. Should you have any questions regarding coralline algae growth you can send me a message.

Read more: http://reefbuilders.com/2007/08/06/what-should-you-test-for-in-your-saltwater-aquarium-and-how-often/#ixzz2lU2ZY2rd"

I'm curious. What do mean by a different set of parameters when dosing Kalk?

The author of that article means that when you dose KW you need to keep a careful eye on Magnesium levels and on dKH and of course on your Calcium levels so you do not increase them way too fast or too much.

Feivel

Aswell, if you add too much kalk at a time, you can risk burning your corals as the PH will jump too rapidly. You should not increase more than 1.0dkh/dosing.

Coraline consumes a great deal of magnesium. the quicker it grows the quicker Mg is dissipated. Low MG is harmfull to the system.

If you notice a red monticap turning blue, thats a very good indication you have low MG.

albertthiel

Quote from: Feivel on November 24, 2013, 08:39:13 PM
Aswell, if you add too much kalk at a time, you can risk burning your corals as the PH will jump too rapidly. You should not increase more than 1.0dkh/dosing.

Coraline consumes a great deal of magnesium. the quicker it grows the quicker Mg is dissipated. Low MG is harmfull to the system.

If you notice a red monticap turning blue, thats a very good indication you have low MG.

Thanks and yes that is very good advice indeed, also if you use KW and you do too much or too strong a solution of it you could have a "calcium fall-out_ and I can assure you that you do not want to deal with that .... it is a mess and very difficult to solve, so always monitor well if you use KW especially if you use strengthened KW with adding a little vinegar when you prepare it

ALBERT