New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Prefered types of salt

Started by ramblnpony, November 18, 2013, 09:10:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ramblnpony

I was wondering if you had a preferred type of salt mix? I have a mix of sps, lps, and softies. I am looking for a consistent easy dissolving salt with preferred elements. I do weekly 5% water changes. I have searched the internet and there does not seem to be a lot of opinion on this in the last couple of years.

albertthiel

Quote from: ramblnpony on November 18, 2013, 09:10:37 AM
I was wondering if you had a preferred type of salt mix? I have a mix of sps, lps, and softies. I am looking for a consistent easy dissolving salt with preferred elements. I do weekly 5% water changes. I have searched the internet and there does not seem to be a lot of opinion on this in the last couple of years.

That is really difficult question to answer as there as so many salts on the market but I can tell you what I use ... Bio Sea Marine Mix from Aquacraft.net and also for some of my other tanks I use Red Sea Pro and for a high end salt I use Tropic Marin from Germany ...

Hope that helps

Albert

ramblnpony

Quote from: albertthiel on November 18, 2013, 09:59:47 AM
That is really difficult question to answer as there as so many salts on the market but I can tell you what I use ... Bio Sea Marine Mix from Aquacraft.net and also for some of my other tanks I use Red Sea Pro and for a high end salt I use Tropic Marin from Germany ...

Hope that helps

Albert

It does. Thanks for the reply Albert!

albertthiel

Quote from: ramblnpony on November 18, 2013, 10:36:17 AM
It does. Thanks for the reply Albert!

You are welcome and if you can get the Bio Sea Marine Mix you should give it a try I think ...

ramblnpony

I went from Instant Ocean to Tropic Marine Pro. What a difference. TMP mixes so fast at any temperature and my sps corals are growing nicely without adding any calcium although I know that will change as they grow. Of the 6 sps that I have, the two largest are about 7" now. I love TMP but I guess I was looking for something almost as good or the same but a little more cost effective. (TMP = $100 a pail)

albertthiel

Quote from: ramblnpony on November 19, 2013, 09:53:47 AM
I went from Instant Ocean to Tropic Marine Pro. What a difference. TMP mixes so fast at any temperature and my sps corals are growing nicely without adding any calcium although I know that will change as they grow. Of the 6 sps that I have, the two largest are about 7" now. I love TMP but I guess I was looking for something almost as good or the same but a little more cost effective. (TMP = $100 a pail)
I am with you .. TMP is IMO the best around but it is indeed expensive ... look for Bio Sea marine mix from Aquacraft.net .. it may be available in your area. Not sure though ... Other salts do not seem to come close to TMP ... (unfortunately).

Albert

az

TM bucket do make 200gal which is 40gal more than 160gal standard most other salt buckets make so $/gal is not as bad as it looks, we use TM and other salts and the difference is not big its huge.

I however will add that because this salt is really rich in minerals it dose not work that good with balling/ultralith/zeovit etc.
AQUA VALLEY    
1158 Ogilvie Road, Ottawa

2016 Hours
Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri >> 12-7pm
Sat, Sun >> 11-5pm
Mon >> CLOSED
Tel: 613 695 6961 Fax: 613 695 6532  
www.aquavalley.ca

Ottawa's BIGGEST SALTWATER Selection

Tel: 613 695 6961 Fax: 613 695 6532     www.aquavalley.ca

albertthiel

Quote from: az on November 19, 2013, 10:43:41 AM
TM bucket do make 200gal which is 40gal more than 160gal standard most other salt buckets make so $/gal is not as bad as it looks, we use TM and other salts and the difference is not big its huge.

I however will add that because this salt is really rich in minerals it dose not work that good with balling/ultralith/zeovit etc.

Yes that is true but sometimes buyers look more at the outlay of $$ than at the cost per gallon unfortunately .... Great salt though !