New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

My visit to West Coast Koi Farm

Started by Fishnut, October 02, 2009, 12:36:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fishnut

I just got back from a trip to Vancouver.  We took a day trip to Victoria to see the sights but mostly to visit this koi farm.  It was beautiful!!  The owner gave me the full tour and let me wander around his facilities, enjoying his koi.  Here are some of the pics.  I appologise if some are fuzzy.  I was so excited that I forgot to line up my pics and focus properly :)

I'll start my photo tour with a few outdoor shots:

[attachment deleted by admin]

Fishnut

Next is the part of the farm where he sells from.  It looks a bit crude, but it's very functional.  Each tank has a glass window in the front and is about 4 feet deep...maybe more.

Fishnut

Here's the area where he grows the babies

Fishnut

He has some tanks/ponds in the back of the baby area where he keeps the nicest koi to grow out.  This way they're bigger, more expensive fish.  Here are the fish:

Fishnut

I was there for an hour walking back and forth watching the koi and the owner asked if I wanted to see the breeders.  OFCOURSE I DO!!!!  It was the greatest part of the tour.  He built a 2 story addition onto his house that was like a cedar greenhouse with an indoor pond.  The pond was 8 feet deep, likely about 40 feet long and 20 feet wide.  There was a Juliette balcony from his house overlooking the pond and a small bridge over the pond with a couple of lawn chairs.  I loved it!!  Here are the pics.  Note I used my camera's lens cap for a size comparison.  It's 2" in diameter.  I had to split the pics between a few posts.

Fishnut

Fishnut

Here I am with Fishnut Jr.  The last pic is of my favourite breeder.